C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Th350 pan options

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:19 AM
KWIL
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Th350 pan options

Has anyone tried a larger capacity trans pan? Clearance/ bottoming out issues? I'm installing a trans temp gauge that required a 1/8 NPT sender unit installed in the oil pan, so I figured rather than welding a bung into the factory pan, why not look for an aftermarket with greater capacity/ cooling. Derale has one I was looking at: https://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/14...SABEgJSY_D_BwE
but looks like filter clearance is an issue: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ooler-pan.html

Not seeing many other options. Anyone?
Old 05-05-2019, 11:35 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

An actual oil cooler at the radiator would be much more effective use of funds. Weld a bung and be done with it. Ground clearance is more important.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

I searched all winter for a used one on eBay. Up popped: Hughes, cast aluminum, 2 Qt extra, magnetic drainplug, half price, free shpg, bingo! I believe the Hughes was not as low as some others by half of an inch.

I too did all my homework, measured, measured again and read that the Derale would not clear a temp bung too.
I think a cast aluminum is a stronger unit than steel but if you bottomed out on something the steel would likely fair better, dent instead of crack.

The Hughes pan is not the lowest point in the front. My headers or oil pan are lower. And I already run a trans cooler out front to help the 3,000 stall stay cool.

Keep an eye out for a used one on eBay.

Get notified of new replies

To Th350 pan options

Quick Reply: Th350 pan options