C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Cable Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 11:17 PM
BlueL82
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Shift Cable Help

When I first got my 80 it would fly back in reverse when you cranked it, really wakes you up. I have it adjusted now, but I cannot reach 1 and sometimes it doesn't click into park all the way, feels kinda weak? I remember seeing that the cable is missing the grommet/bushing (too short?) and it has quite some tension on it. I'd really like to get a cable with an adjustable barrel end or just any style that is easy to adjust from under the car. Can I get any length cable? Getting under my car is hard with the side pipes without putting it on stands and I'm not sure what length I would need. Suggestions?
Old 06-08-2019, 03:36 PM
caskiguy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 843 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueL82
When I first got my 80 it would fly back in reverse when you cranked it, really wakes you up. I have it adjusted now, but I cannot reach 1 and sometimes it doesn't click into park all the way, feels kinda weak? I remember seeing that the cable is missing the grommet/bushing (too short?) and it has quite some tension on it. I'd really like to get a cable with an adjustable barrel end or just any style that is easy to adjust from under the car. Can I get any length cable? Getting under my car is hard with the side pipes without putting it on stands and I'm not sure what length I would need. Suggestions?
Look up TCIauto.com click on support and check for information.
Here's a video I found on Youtube
Hope you figure it out, I'll post if I find out more.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:44 PM
BlueL82
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I believe I have found the culprit.Under the boot, it looks similar to the top with the sleeve going into the main part that clips into the bracket. Is that metal sleeve supposed to be free and able to turn? Either way the cable is way too short. Found the stock length, 29 or so inches, going to get a replacement tomorrow and I hope that will solve it.
The following users liked this post:
caskiguy (06-10-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Shift Cable Help

Quick Reply: Shift Cable Help