Notices
C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette

Another side pipe insert thread!

Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another side pipe insert thread!

As the title says, it's another side pipe thread... I know, I know, there's others out there, but a lot of them are pretty dated, so I figured it was time for a fresh thread

I'm curious what guys are running with there 4" hooker style side pipes.

I got my "XS Power" side pipes back when I first built my 383 stroker back in 2010. For those unfamiliar, they're the same as the Hooker setup, all stainless, headers have 1 7/8" primaries into 4" collectors and pipes. They came with the Hooker glasspacks that were 1 7/8" diameter... ie extremely restrictive, so I immediately took those out. I wound up going with Sweet Thunder inserts which I believe are a type of louvered baffle. They offered numerous I.D. but I went with the 2.25" core for my motor making around 430hp.

Fast forward 9yrs and I still have the same Sweet Thunders. I've rebuilt my motor and picking up 90hp (engine dyno confirmed at 520). I think at this point the 2.25" is too restrictive for the power I'm making. I've also grown tired of the same old sound and wanted to try something new.

I did a ton of searching and research and narrowed it down to two, Chambered Classics or Car Chemistry. I wound up ordering from Chambered Classic, I ordered their louvered insert with 3" core. This insert is also wrapped in packing to hopefully clean up some of the unwanted noise and take the edge off a bit, seeing they're a lot bigger than 2.25". I'm a little anxious as I don't quite know if I'll like the sound.

I took the Sweet Thunders out for now, and just got fun went for a quick ride with just the straight pipes.... man was that loud!!

I'll update with some video once I get the new inserts in so others have reference (I wish I had more sound clips /videos to hear before ordering).

In the meantime post up what your setup is and share any videos or clips. Anybody have any experience with classic chambered??

Kevin

Oh, for reference here's the current motor with the 2.25" Sweet Thunder inserts.

Last edited by 80vette21; 06-12-2019 at 07:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Techoca (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM
76strokervette
CF Senior Member

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

I have the 3 inch classic chambered inserts in mine. Definitely not the quietest but they do sound good!
Maybe I can post a short video for the sound this weekend.
The following 2 users liked this post by 76strokervette:
80vette21 (06-11-2019), Techoca (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 76strokervette View Post
I have the 3 inch classic chambered inserts in mine. Definitely not the quietest but they do sound good!
That'd be great! I almost posted this before I ordered too... Dammit! Do you have the chambered or louvered?

Although my Sweet Thunder are only 2.25", they are very loud. I posted a video above.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 PM
Borrowedtime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Hooker hedders & side pipes on my 70 LS5. When I got the car it was partially disassembled and had no inserts. Based on my guesstimated output & rpm range, I ordered and installed the chambered 2 1/2" inserts. Very tolerable at cruise and a pretty good bark at full throttle. Perfect for my taste. Very well made as well. No wrap.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:48 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Borrowedtime View Post
I had Hooker hedders & side pipes on my 70 LS5. When I got the car it was partially disassembled and had no inserts. Based on my guesstimated output & rpm range, I ordered and installed the chambered 2 1/2" inserts. Very tolerable at cruise and a pretty good bark at full throttle. Perfect for my taste. Very well made as well. No wrap.
Nice. Same question, just to clarify, when you say you have the chambered 2 1/2" are you referring to the classic chambered brand or specifically their chambered muffler?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:14 PM
Borrowedtime

Originally Posted by 80vette21 View Post
Nice. Same question, just to clarify, when you say you have the chambered 2 1/2" are you referring to the classic chambered brand or specifically their chambered muffler?
Classic Chambers. Great guy to work with whose name escapes me....FWIW, remember, exhaust volume is somewhat subjective. I really dug the sound. But then again, I like the smell of 110 octane leaded fuel.

Last edited by Borrowedtime; 06-11-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:34 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Classic Chambers. Great guy to work with whose name escapes me....FWIW, remember, exhaust volume is somewhat subjective. I really dug the sound. But then again, I like the smell of 110 octane leaded fuel.
Yeah I talked to Eric for a while today. He was helpful and put up with a few questions which is partly why I went with his product.

Is that picture you posted the one you got? That's the Vettepack which he said is his top seller. I think it's a little quieter than the style I got. As you said exhaust preference is very subjective. I love you loud, and what I've got now with the Sweet Thunders is loud, but it's just a tad small on the I.D. I'm going these louvered 3" well be around the same sound level with greater flow.

They had three options, Vettepack, Louvered, or Chambered. I went with the louvered in 3".

Last edited by 80vette21; 06-11-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Borrowedtime

The insert in the image I posted are the ones that I went with. I really liked the way they sounded at WOT.

Last edited by Borrowedtime; 06-11-2019 at 10:45 PM.
RBrid (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:46 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

The ones in the image are the ones that I went with. I really liked the way they sounded at WOT.
Yeah he said those are popular, unfortunately they don't have them in 3". Glad you are happy with their product. Hopefully mine work out. Tough choosing an exhaust without any idea how it'll sound!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 PM
gotgame
CF Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had dougs reverse flow inserts in then until this past weekend when i installed sts baffles and i added a cap to the center tube.

Going to the dyno tomorrow after work so ill post the new numbers. Its going to be 112 in palm springs tomorrow so it may mess with it a bit.
80vette21 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:48 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by gotgame View Post
I had dougs reverse flow inserts in then until this past weekend when i installed sts baffles and i added a cap to the center tube.

Going to the dyno tomorrow after work so ill post the new numbers. Its going to be 112 in palm springs tomorrow so it may mess with it a bit.
Awesome, make sure to update us! I'd expect a good increase from the reverse flows.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:58 AM
Techoca
CF Senior Member

Received 187 Likes on 159 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by 76strokervette View Post
Please do post a video if possible. Thank you!
Eddy
Old 06-12-2019, 02:01 PM
Chambered
CF Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, the louver core insert showing the packing material in the photo was exaggerated. Only one layer of the blanket fits around the 3" core & inside the 4" OD sidepipe body. VettePacks are not available with 3" cores because to fit packing would require a 4" body in the resonator section, which of course, will not fit inside an already 4" sidepipe.
80vette21 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 06:52 PM
80vette21
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chambered View Post
BTW, the louver core insert showing the packing material in the photo was exaggerated. Only one layer of the blanket fits around the 3" core & inside the 4" OD sidepipe body. VettePacks are not available with 3" cores because to fit packing would require a 4" body in the resonator section, which of course, will not fit inside an already 4" sidepipe.
That makes sense, I kind of figured... It didn't look like it'd fit. I'm pretty pumped to hear what they sound like!

Here are the old sweet thunders

Old 06-12-2019, 09:49 PM
RBrid
CF Senior Member

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

What amazes me is that I can't find any video with reverse flow side pipes
Would like to hear them if somebody has them. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:15 AM
69autoXr
CF Senior Member

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't have Hookers, but have worked with Eric at Classic Chambered and will agree, great guy to deal with and in my experience great products.
80vette21 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:46 AM
titanle
CF Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm sound interesting, my OBX maximizer 4" sidepipes are very loud at the moment. In order to install these baffles would I just unmounts the side pipe from the car and then just pull it out from the headers since they are slip fit?

I would like a little reduction in exhaust noise, I feel like I will get a noise violation ticket soon lol
Old 06-13-2019, 04:16 PM
htown81vette
CF Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got STS baffles, personally I might try something different, they are too loud for my taste. But I do get alot of compliments on the sound. People think they car is faster than it really is, which was not my intent. But that is how it ended up. Now if I can only get it as fast as it sounds....
Old 06-13-2019, 04:30 PM
gotgame
CF Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by htown81vette View Post
I've got STS baffles, personally I might try something different, they are too loud for my taste. But I do get alot of compliments on the sound. People think they car is faster than it really is, which was not my intent. But that is how it ended up. Now if I can only get it as fast as it sounds....
are yours capped? I just picked up a set two weeks ago and installed some freeze plugs ( hammered in plus 1 bolt just incase) over the center pipe and honestly i was really expecting it to be louder based on comments. Not bad at all. Even good when cruising in overdrive. People might think im crazy but at cruising speed in OD its not much louder then my dougs reverse flow. It is louder at idle and WOT but not obnoxious or anything.

I plan on leaving mine as is. For my engine I dont think ill get much better performance taking the caps off and my wife is fine with the sound.
Old 06-13-2019, 09:40 PM
bluegtp
CF Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

I have classic chambered vette packs. They are not quiet but sound great. I will say they're much louder and meaner sounding at wot. I wouldn't mind them a little quieter but wouldn't want to trade the sound for something slightly less loud. Not too bad with windows up on the interstate and I can still hold a conversation with passenger.

I just moved into a newer subdivision and haven't had the neighbors complain yet.

383 stroker build (10.5:1 cr)

Ls3/525 with classic chambered vettepacks behind it.

Inside with ls3

Last edited by bluegtp; 06-13-2019 at 09:43 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bluegtp:
80vette21 (06-14-2019), htown81vette (06-14-2019), Techoca (06-14-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another side pipe insert thread!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: