C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 ignition switch noob question

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 12:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Tom_K
I really think it would be well worth the trouble to get the car up on stands and take a look at the starter and the starter area bundle. Do those check I mentioned in that link above and just clean it up, resolder, heat shrink, where necessary.

Before you pull the starter do the wiggle-tests and see if your meter changes.

With the car off, hook up your ammeter between the negative post and the negative terminal as mentioned in post above and start wiggling... do it with KEY ON and with KEY OFF.... we're looking for an intermittent fault. May even have to wiggle(try to move around) the solenoid assembly....

I have a link somewhere that I made myself a little ammeter for checking up to like 20 or 30 amps - I mention that because multimeter ammeters blow fuses a very low amperage. Let me see if I can find that.

Here you go.... cheap and easy: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1598493775

If you do not find anything around the starter bundle area then I would also check the leads behind the dash and the leads going from the starter bundle back up towards ignition system.

Originally Posted by Tom_K
carriljc,

well.... it happened again
Diving at 45mph the car simply turned off
I could turn the key and it would start but the minute the key came off the starter switch the car shut off.
I eventually got it running, then to shut it off I had to hold the key hard left against the accessory side.
seams the key lock section could be too sloppy in the switch.

Last edited by carriljc; 06-18-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:46 AM
Tom_K
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

carrilc,

Finally got under car. I am surprised she did not burn to the ground. I must a made a mistake. Some of the wiring is burnt bad and had been arcing...
I will go though it... this time with wiring diagram in hand...

Quick Reply: 1968 ignition switch noob question