C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood venting

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 01:21 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

My Cowl Induction Hood was open (no door flapper that opens at WOT) and I used the stock 75 air cleaner with hood seal.
I got caught in a thunderstorm a couple of years ago driving home on the freeway.
When I got home I seen a small puddle of water in the base of the air cleaner. So no more open hood cowl, now it's plugged up.
Can't see where any performance issues come in to play since that cowl flapper was only designed to open at WOT, and I don't drive WOT. Pure GM hype for the average driver.
That, and in 76 (maybe 77) the Cowl Induction was gone.

Last edited by KenSny; 07-07-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Not sure that driving in rain would hurt a thing unless it was pouring on top of the dist or belts.
Most here wont take them out unless the weather is good, Sunday cruise etc. Have driven wtih no hood at all no problems...short commute to work but still..
I have a ls in mine and it looks like it'd drain water right on top the intake manifold/ throttle body. Right in front of that is my air filter. I'm not gonna be driving mine if it's storming outside but if i have gotten caught in a many showers while out. It happens.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:52 PM
dereklburt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pzark, where did you get the fender vents?

Originally Posted by Pzark

I inserted Ford Mustang hood vents they fitted quite well and you can buy after market fiberglass one quite cheep.

They look quite tidy from the inside as well.
Pzark, Where did you get the vender vents. I know this is an old post but I just came across it and I love the look. I was trying to figure out some venting for the front to help with downforce.
Old 12-23-2023, 06:32 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Interesting conversation. I am about to cut the dip or void area out of an L88 hood behind the radiator, in front of the hood carb duct box. The carb is essentially sealed at the front, cowl supplies air. I was attempting on our running car to figure out the area affected by the cowl air stack up by the windshield, and no vents there, at the back of the hood, but forward to help airflow exit, but also allow header heat to vent. Let me attempt a drawing.

Last edited by TCracingCA; 12-23-2023 at 06:47 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:46 PM
Pzark
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts

This is the finished appearance.

This is the source that I used.
Hope this is useful to you.
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (12-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Hood venting