C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Renegade install tips/tricks ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 11:58 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Renegade install tips/tricks ??

Finally got some shop time to install the Renegade intake i bought 4-6 months ago and the distributor wont drop the last 1/4". We have the slot aligned and it drops ALMOST completely down.
We've followed the install instructions to the letter but he dist is binding on the last 1/4" on the beveled part of the shaft.

We took precise measurements and the hole in the intake seems the same size as the OEM hole but visually the renegade hole looks SLIGHTLY off center.

Rather solve than return it.

ALSO, the EGR plate and air cleaner stud holes are too shallow to allow the OEM bolts to seat all the way in.........................

Dean

Last edited by Fast81; 07-06-2019 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:57 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Never had my hand on a renegade intake.

Notice how your dist has two machined bands near bottom?

And those bands fit (with a little play) into two machined holes in block; effectively "sealing" an oil galley.

If the intake's dist hole is offset too much, that might prevent the dist's bands from aligning with the block's holes; preventing dist from dropping into position.

Maybe?
Old 07-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,004 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast81
Finally got some shop time to install the Renegade intake i bought 4-6 months ago and the distributor wont drop the last 1/4". We have the slot aligned and it drops ALMOST completely down.
We've followed the install instructions to the letter but he dist is binding on the last 1/4" on the beveled part of the shaft.

We took precise measurements and the hole in the intake seems the same size as the OEM hole but visually the renegade hole looks SLIGHTLY off center.

ALSO, the EGR plate and air cleaner stud holes are too shallow to allow the OEM bolts to seat all the way in.........................

Dean
Dean, PM answered.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:05 AM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Can you share the fixes -if there are fixes - on this Forum?
Old 07-07-2019, 01:33 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...

Originally Posted by Lakeside49
Can you share the fixes -if there are fixes - on this Forum?
The real fix is to send it back and either get a refund or exchange for a correctly machined manifold. However, after 4-6 months that may not be an option anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Gunfighter13 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:22 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

If you've had the distributor gear off, check to make sure it's not on upside down.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:43 AM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
The real fix is to send it back and either get a refund or exchange for a correctly machined manifold. However, after 4-6 months that may not be an option anymore.
wow. For the cost of Renegades, That sucks.. Not just that its poorly machined and not inspected before shipping, , but that its not returnable when it has not run yet after only 4 months ... What happened to One year Warranty?
Old 07-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fishslayer143
wow. For the cost of Renegades, That sucks.. Not just that its poorly machined and not inspected before shipping, , but that its not returnable when it has not run yet after only 4 months ... What happened to One year Warranty?
Well first off, I/we DON'T have anything to do with the company manufacturing the manifold, ie... We DO NOT control them nor can we tell them how to run their company. From what I have seen from their customer service, you may have an issue with returns or exchanges. This is NOT in stone, just a previous track record/trend from them. If it were up to me, I would do it in a heart beat, but then again if we were still machining the manifold locally like in the start, this type of thing wouldn't happen either. EVERY manifold was checked before it went out the door by several people. I'm sure that DOESN'T happen at Eddie Motorsports just by what I've seen to date.

I think we on our end, need to take a very serious look at maybe removing our tooling from the company and end it. If we do, it may never be manufactured again unless we can have the Arizona foundry that we first used here were to reduce their pouring cost and then that may work, maybe? Our machinist here is very good at machining the manifold and would never let a manifold go out of his shop knowing it was bad or even questionable for that matter in any way. I hope Dean can figure out what the issue is and if not machined correctly to get either a refund or exchange. The manifold does work nicely when done properly, the facts speak for themselves on that.

BTW, we did NOT set the price either. In the beginning, it was much cheaper at $460.95 when we were doing it which was only slightly more than the XRam manifold and we were pouring a complete manifold, not just using a Weiend four barrel manifold and making a top box mounted to it. The Renegade out performs the XRam hands down. Also, in the beginning, I saw one go on eBay for $700 that was serial number thirty something. I personally hand stamped each manifold, they do not do that anymore.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 07-07-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:20 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

No one said its not returnable yet. i'm sure Summit will work with me if i cannot resolve these annoyances. I didn't post to bash the Renegade but to get some others install tips/tricks to see if we missed something....................
I just gratefull Tom and Crew poured the time and energy into fixing the most glaring handicap of our XFire cars !!
Old 07-07-2019, 11:35 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

AFAIK ... the above is Second separate renegade fitment issue ... second reported here on CF ... in last 4 - 5 weeks.

Suggest company or companies responsible for marketing it should quickly & transparently get handle on failure modes & root causes ...
... maybe it's consumer, maybe producer, maybe both.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:37 AM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

I sometimes have the same problem installing a distributor. The shaft on the oil pump can move just a little bit. Is the car up on jack stands or is the car sitting on the ground? This can affect the alignment just a bit. If the car is on the ground, try raising the front of the car just a little.
Old 07-07-2019, 12:01 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Do you have an old junk distributor from which you can remove the upper parts to see how bad the alignment is? Not a totally useless thing since you could then later remove the gear and use it as a pre-oiler. I only mention this because you could eyeball how badly offset it is.....or if perhaps there is another issue.

Last edited by carriljc; 07-07-2019 at 10:17 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gg521
I sometimes have the same problem installing a distributor. The shaft on the oil pump can move just a little bit. Is the car up on jack stands or is the car sitting on the ground? This can affect the alignment just a bit. If the car is on the ground, try raising the front of the car just a little.
Car is up on ramps - in the front only

Last edited by Fast81; 07-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:24 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Car is up on ramps - in the front only
Dean, I will PM you again...call me. Thanks
Old 07-19-2019, 04:50 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Dean
Originally Posted by jackson
AFAIK ... the above is Second separate renegade fitment issue ... second reported here on CF ... in last 4 - 5 weeks.

Suggest company or companies responsible for marketing it should quickly & transparently get handle on failure modes & root causes ...
... maybe it's consumer, maybe producer, maybe both.
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Dean, I will PM you again...call me. Thanks
Nigh on two weeks ... transparency?
Old 07-19-2019, 08:55 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,631 Posts

Originally Posted by gg521
H-m-m-m-m. Never heard that one.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:30 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

UPDATE: after returning the defective first intake for a replacement (THANKS SUMMIT!!!!) and installing the the 2nd, all i can say is WOW

Now, a PO had a dealership install the ZZ4 under that stock intake and injectors, and the CF member i bought it from had ported the intake -- but it just ran out of grunt around 4K RPM. Now the 700r4 masked that pretty well with its ODs but it couldn't reach redline, nor would it spin the tires.

NOW even a moderate launch spins them and it revs VERY fast -- feels like all 355hp is now there instead of more like a stock L83 mill

OH, and my installation tip/trick is to align the dizzy before torquing the inner intake bolts................................... ...

Last edited by Fast81; 10-17-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Sunracer (10-27-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Renegade install tips/tricks ??

Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

UPDATE: after returning the defective first intake for a replacement (THANKS SUMMIT!!!!) and installing the the 2nd, all i can say is WOW

Now, a PO had a dealership install the ZZ4 under that stock intake and injectors, and the CF member i bought it from had ported the intake -- but it just ran out of grunt around 4K RPM. Now the 700r4 masked that pretty well with its ODs but it couldn't reach redline, nor would it spin the tires.

NOW even a moderate launch spins them and it revs VERY fast -- feels like all 355hp is now there instead of more like a stock L83 mill

OH, and my installation tip/trick is to align the dizzy before torquing the inner intake bolts................................... ...
That's AWESOME Dean! I'm glad you finally got it all worked out. Now go out there and enjoy that new found CF power, it does work nicely when everything goes as planned!
L-46man (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 05:54 PM
GregMartin
Drifting

Received 283 Likes on 219 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I did heads, cam and Renegade to my stock L83 and what a difference. My little car is awake now. I have an EBL Flash II ECM and I’ve programmed in a rev limit because I kept reving it past 6000 which I think is a big ask for an old engine. I’m glad you have been able to realize the benefits of the Renegade intake manifold. I’m so grateful to Tom and co for taking the time to develop the thing. In doing so he has made it easy for an 82 or 84 to be genuinely fast and shake of the sh1tbox tag.
Happy days
Old 10-17-2019, 06:06 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

I'm a neighbor of Buccy.... I want to recognize him and his knowledge and help...I've been 'lurking' on the Renegade Threads and have spoken to Buccy about this.
RECOGNIZING that he is probably THE AUTHORITY on this subject. I know the history and all the BEGATS.

WHAT A STAND-UP GUY! Glad you're around...truly.

Unkahal.

ps too bad they don't let you hit the 'like button' 86 times! lol

Last edited by L-46man; 10-17-2019 at 06:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by L-46man:
GregMartin (10-17-2019), LarryinWV (10-18-2019)

Quick Reply: Renegade install tips/tricks ??