C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too Soon for Transmission Metal Shavings

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:20 PM
pltmgr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 361 Likes on 217 Posts

Default Too Soon for Transmission Metal Shavings

I can't seem to get a better picture but this is the fluid from a Muncie M21. The lighter areas are fine metal shavings. According to receipts from a previous owner the fluid was changed approx. 4 years ago and the car was driven only a few hundred miles since then. I changed the oil to remove the GL-5 and replace it with GL-4. The fill plug came out very easily but the drain plug was very difficult. Would there be that much metal shavings in just a few hundred miles? The transmission shifts fine and I'm beginning to wonder if the fluid was actually changed 4 years ago or it was a quickie change without allowing time for a real good drain? I'm letting the transmission drain over night.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:10 PM
righthanddrive
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

It's possible that some of the shavings didn't flow out last time , and a couple of missed gears would add to it. If it is shifting OK, I wouldn't concern myself too much.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:27 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Put a magnetic plug in the drain. Refill and drive it like you stole it for 500 miles or so. Listen for any odd noise, feel for any unusual roughness, then drain it and see what's stuck on the mag plug. A little fuzz is mostly noting to fret about IMHO.

Get notified of new replies

To Too Soon for Transmission Metal Shavings

Quick Reply: Too Soon for Transmission Metal Shavings