C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2022, 06:11 PM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Received 748 Likes on 454 Posts
Default Parking brake noise

After replacing the rt trailing arm I now have a scraping sound from the parking brake at the rt wheel. When it was apart everything was cleaned up. Pads, drum, cable, star wheel, all the parts seemed new and working properly. Adjusted the star wheel 8 clicks back from snug. Adjusted the center park brake cable. After I started hearing the scraping sound I backed it off a bit more, but still get the sound. While driving if I pull the parking brake handle a bit and release it, the sound goes away. I don't get it.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:16 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,371 Posts

If you used the SS parts as is out of the bag that might be one issue. Sounds like the springs aren't pulling the shoes back. Sometimes I find the starwheels and the shoe thickness is too tight and almost always have to touch a grinder on them. If the shoes are not returning you will drag on them and the wheel will get hot, the shoes will get wrecked. You might have to pull the rotors and check them both for the proper action. Also found many times the rotor hat ID on new rotors is too small and the starwheels a touch too long. I address all those things before the axle and bearings go in.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:41 PM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

Thank you. Everything is the same as it was, before I changed the trailing arms. None of it is stainless. I am thinking it's the shoes are not getting pulled up tight to the brake shield. I have checked for excess heat but that seems normal. In looking at pictures the only thing the pads could be rubbing on is the inside of the axle spindle or the brake surface of the drum.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:13 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Pictures of a RH arm I just built, showing the parking brake, axle out. These are SS parts I fit not from out of the bag. Your original steel parts follow the same. The edge of the shoes sits on 3 raised pads on the backing plate. The springs need to have enough tension in them to draw the shoed closed to the setting of the star wheel. If the springs are weak or there is binding at the anchor bolt lock the shoes may stick and drag against the rotor. If the shoes were in correct position and you hear them ticking against the rotor then either the rotor ID, if aftermarket, is too small or the star wheel is not allowing them to close enough. Since you said you didn't replace the hardware, I think I would check that again. It may not be the issue but it sounds like it.

Old 08-25-2022, 10:06 AM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

In looking at your picture. If the four bolts that hold the brake system to the hub isn't correct, this could cause the issue. Also, if for some reason the bearing hub allowed the spindle to be sucked in a bit to much could cause this. The only thing new in the rebuild is the bearings, Timken. I am very sure the bearing races were tight against the hub.
I will take it apart today and see if there is something obvious.
Old 08-25-2022, 03:50 PM
kodpkd
Melting Slicks

The little butterfly thing at the top was bent outward a bit. That was allowing the brake shoe to move out a bit and touch the inside of the spindle. Bent it back, rebent the two wings that fold over the big bolt. Yea.... My brakes are not making noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking brake noise

Quick Reply: Parking brake noise