C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burping cooling system taking a long time

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 05:19 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,651 Likes on 2,804 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sounds like a lot of F..ing around. Fill the rad through the cap with the car up on ramps. Do not take anything apart. Not one hose, nothing. Run engine untill thermostat opens and coolant flows. Shut off. Cap up. Leave sit overnight still on ramps. When engine cools it will pull coolant into rad from overflow bottle. Check overflow bottle in the morning. Top up to cold level mark. Fire up engine. Bring up to temp. DO NOT REMOVE CAP. Once temp gauge shows engine at thermostat opening temp. Shut down. Go have a coffee, maybe breakfast. Mow the lawn, etc. Around noon. Check the overflow bottle again. If a bit low, top up to cold level. Pull car off the ramps.
DONE.
No need to remove lines, hoses or anything else that you touch that is likely to bite you in the butt.
if you still have a heater core, make certain you have the heat turned on when you bleed the system.
It's just not rocket science. I've done this many, many times over the years. Just get the front of the car up when you do it. And Done.

Last edited by 4-vettes; 04-29-2024 at 05:26 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
brassplyer (05-05-2024), BWPJS (04-29-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 05:02 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Burping cooling system

I've never needed to raise the front of the car. The only thing Ive done is drill a 1/16" hole in the thermostat and give the top radiator hose a few squeezes once the system is almost full. I fill the radiator to the top and the overflow tank at least to halfway then run the motor until the temp starts to climb on the temp gauge. Once the system has cooled coolant from the overflow tank will be drawn into the system to complete the filling. I also make sure the heater control is open. Never had any issues doing this.
The following users liked this post:
brassplyer (05-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Burping cooling system taking a long time