C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight reinforcement bar replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:31 AM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Headlight reinforcement bar replacement

Getting ready to tackle this job on my 70 LT-1. Even though the bar is not badly rusted, I can't stand the "dimples" from the swollen rivets. Body is off the frame and on a jig, so everything is really easy to get to.
Found this thread that spans 11 years!!! https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...acement-4.html
Lots of good info. One of the last posts by Willcox indicates scribing before removal so that you can line up the new bar. Plan to do that.

Several references to the Willcox instructions. But, the Willcox site is down, so I can't get those. Any chance someone has a copy?

Planning to leave the bonding strip in place and grind out the rivets like this guy did:

Is there more than one manufacturer for the replacement reinforcement bar? I know there are multiple vendors. Do they all have the same source?

Any words of wisdom regarding proper alignment? Scribing assumes the new bar is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the original. Are they that close?

Lastly; any other tips or suggestions from others who have done this

would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2024, 12:14 PM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

On another note, I need a new front cross member. Available from Ecklers for $449.99 and from Corvette Central for $242.75. I could not find where either was made.

Seems like a huge price difference, assuming they are made in the same place. Zip has the same part for $299.99. I don't mind paying a premium for quality parts; just don't want to pay a premium for the same parts that may be available for much cheaper.

Also, Ecklers lists the same part for 68-72. CC and others show 68 as being different, and 69-72 using the same part.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:10 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

The 70 bar has 3 threaded holes for a plate. This plate has the 2 h/l relays mounted to it. Other bars have 4 threaded holes where the relays mount directly to the bar.

Old 04-28-2024, 06:27 PM
Kidster71
Highway Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 106 Posts

I bought my Header Bar from Top Flight Automotive (Corvette America at the time)…
https://www.topflightautomotive.com/...s-to-surround/

Here is a more recent thread about replacing the header bar…
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-bracket.html

Quoted from post #5, “At the time that I did mine, I went into it thinking that all reproduction Header Bars could potentially be different than the original GM one. So, I marked up my new reproduction Header Bar to the body during mockup, just to make sure that my headlight brackets would all line up. During that process, I noticed that my reproduction Header Bar sat on the old bonding strip tightly between the old adhesive and it lined up perfectly without any play. Just like the original.

Header Bar repair and pics in this thread;
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

The Wilcox “Installing headLamp Header Bar” document (attached) is really good and it is what I followed to replace my rusted out header bar.
I didn’t have to cut the header bar in pieces first or pry it to get it off. I just ground off the rivet tips with a zip cutter and ground deep enough into the old rusted header bar so that there was no rivet metal sticking out grabbing the header bar. The header bar just fell out.

I then used a Dremel and a flat end metal cutting bit to grind out the galvanic corroded rivet remnants from under the bonding strip. In order to get all of the aluminium rivet remnants removed, the holes became the size of a quarter and about a 1/8” to 1/4"deep.
DO NOT GO TOO DEEP TO GO THROUGH THE FIBERGLASS PANEL!

I mocked up the new header bar and marked a couple of locations for alignment then used SEM 3974 to adhere it using clamps.

Cheers,
Richard
Attached Images
Old 04-28-2024, 09:48 PM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

Thanks.

I did not cut mine up either. Cut out all the rivets, and although it did not fall out, it didn't take much persuasion.
My old header bar as no rust through, just some very light surface rust; so I will be reusing it.
I will sandblast, then paint (leaving the mating surface blasted) then adhere. Seems like a lot of guys are really high on the Lord adhesives.

I did a lot of other work today, but did not cut the rivets out of the bonding strip. I wanted to make certain I knew what size there were.

Attached is a pic of a rivet head from elsewhere on the car (#4 body mount reinforcement). I am assuming this head is the same size as the ones in the bonding strip for the headlight reinforcement bar. It is a little smaller than a dime. I have an assortment of small hole saws, and was planning to use that (very judiciously) to remove the rivets from the bonding strip.

Are the rivets the same size as this one?

Thanks again.

Lynn

Old 04-29-2024, 03:55 PM
Kidster71
Highway Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Unfortunately my header bar rivets were so swollen and disintegrated, that I personally don't know what the original size was, sorry.
I had to carve out about the size of a quarter to get all the galvanic corroded rivet remnants removed.
I happen to use SEM39747 cuz i have the special application gun and the SEM product has never failed me on other projects. There are a few different similar products out there that fit other folks needs
Cheers,
Richard
Old 04-29-2024, 10:34 PM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

Success. Got all 36 cut out without any damage to the fiberglass.
As you described Richard, I had to cut about a nickel to a quarter size hole to get all the old corroded aluminum out.

I found the perfect cutting stone; about 7/8 in diameter with a cupped head. It cut right through the bonding strip. Once it hit the rivet in the middle of the cup many of them just popped out. I had to dig about half out; then scrape all the powdery residue..

The three rivets on both sides at the ends could not be reached with my mini die grinder, and I don't have a 90 degree mini grinder. So, I used a pointed carbide rotary file and cut all the way around rivet, then dug it out.
Ordered some SEM39747.

I am also planning to replace the two shoulder belt reinforcements and the #4 body mount reinforcements. Seeing how they were originally held on with these same rivets, I am thinking I might just use plastic pins for alignment purposes only, and bond with a thin layer of the same panel adhesive. Once the body is mounted, there is not stress on the pins. As this is a different subject, I will start a new thread. I want the car to look good, but don't plan on ever having it judged. Just not my bag.
Old 04-29-2024, 10:58 PM
Kidster71
Highway Man
Support Corvetteforum!

Excellent work!
Pictures or it didn’t happen!?…

Last edited by Kidster71; 04-30-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:23 PM
lynnbilodeau
Advanced

Will get some pics this weekend. Busy week at work this week. Family functions tomorrow nite, and all day Friday with my grandsons.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight reinforcement bar replacement

Quick Reply: Headlight reinforcement bar replacement