Headlight Reinforcement Bar Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:35 AM
Robbie-T
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DUB
Robbie-T

If ALL you are wanting to replace is the metal brace that you posted a photo of.. They are not that bad.

The other photos that people have posted are dealing with an entirely different support.

Depending on IF you want to remove the headlight assemblies or just lower them and get them out of the way..is up to you.

The metal support you are showing is held in by rivets that will need to be drilled out using 3/16" drill bit...BUT ..also you will more than likely need a heat gun due to the adhesive GM used BETWEEN the metal support and the SMC body material....which this adhesive provides even more strength....and should be put back in.

If it were me..I would apply the heat on the metal part so it can heat up the adhesive that is touching it and slowing begin the process of trying tot get the metal to come away form the body.. You might find that you might need to heat it up a good distance ( maybe half way) due to the metal bracket is not going to bend. SO...BE PATIENT.

There should be a major mounting bolt in the front center that should also have a thick rubber bushing. This will need to come out to get this part out. I grind paint stick to a sharp taper like chisel and use them as wedges to carefully apply pressure on the body and part to get it to slowly come apart.

IF you find that removing the headlight housing was not good enough and they need to come out....I would re-install them and then take them a part....or the front fiberglass impact bar will need to be taken off..to hopefully have enough room to allow them to drop out form the bottom and still assembled.

DUB
hi Dub

should you leave the old adhesive there once you pull the old brace out so that you have a giude?
Old 03-31-2018, 06:57 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

DUB mentioned grinding paint sticks into wedges. Sometimes exactly what is needed is readily available without wasting labor... https://m.lowes.com/pd/Nelson-Wood-S...75-in/50051789
Old 03-31-2018, 07:46 AM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbie-T

hi Dub

should you leave the old adhesive there once you pull the old brace out so that you have a giude?
I left a small line of it to make my lines for the new brace. Then I removed it. You can still see the outline and your new lines .
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM
Robbie-T
Advanced

Originally Posted by bazza77
Hi there Robbie, Is it badly rusted and no longer strong enough to work , it is the piece in your pic ?,how are the other pieces under there ?

So to get at it you have to remove the headlight units completely , the front bumper cover has to come off (I hope you haven't just painted the car). The "honeycomb " impact cover is still probably in the way now so that will have to come off . The big "battering" ram metal impact bumper might have to come off or maybe just loosened to get at the middle of the front support. There is some angled bracing coming off the frame in the front wheel wells , they go out to each front corner , they have to be dealt with. THEN you have to drill out the original rivets holding it onto the hood surround (fibreglass).Sounds easy enough

where in Australia are you ?
hi bazza im in Melbourne have you done this before ? Do you have to remove the old glue or leave it as a guide for the new support bar ?
Old 04-21-2018, 09:39 AM
Robbie-T
Advanced

Originally Posted by DUB
Robbie-T

If ALL you are wanting to replace is the metal brace that you posted a photo of.. They are not that bad.

The other photos that people have posted are dealing with an entirely different support.

Depending on IF you want to remove the headlight assemblies or just lower them and get them out of the way..is up to you.

The metal support you are showing is held in by rivets that will need to be drilled out using 3/16" drill bit...BUT ..also you will more than likely need a heat gun due to the adhesive GM used BETWEEN the metal support and the SMC body material....which this adhesive provides even more strength....and should be put back in.

If it were me..I would apply the heat on the metal part so it can heat up the adhesive that is touching it and slowing begin the process of trying tot get the metal to come away form the body.. You might find that you might need to heat it up a good distance ( maybe half way) due to the metal bracket is not going to bend. SO...BE PATIENT.

There should be a major mounting bolt in the front center that should also have a thick rubber bushing. This will need to come out to get this part out. I grind paint stick to a sharp taper like chisel and use them as wedges to carefully apply pressure on the body and part to get it to slowly come apart.

IF you find that removing the headlight housing was not good enough and they need to come out....I would re-install them and then take them a part....or the front fiberglass impact bar will need to be taken off..to hopefully have enough room to allow them to drop out form the bottom and still assembled.

DUB
hi dub

di you leave the old adhesive on as a guide to where the new support bar needs to go on or will it affect alignment when you apply more adhesive for the new bar to stick onto.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:24 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Robbie-T

hi dub

di you leave the old adhesive on as a guide to where the new support bar needs to go on or will it affect alignment when you apply more adhesive for the new bar to stick onto.
If removing the old header and based on what year the car is, scribe a line before you remove so you'll know exactly where the new header should be.

The header stopped having rivets to the surround panel in 1973, but on the later cars 1973-1982, there was a line made on the ends of the header surround panel which was to be used as a guide for where the header bar was glued. If you look at this link you'll see what I'm talking about.

http://repairs.willcoxcorvette.com/1...bar-installed/

Willcox
The following users liked this post:
Joeclams (05-07-2018)

Quick Reply: Headlight Reinforcement Bar Replacement