C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 corvette engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 04:24 PM
Pig30
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 corvette engine swap

There is this 81 vette I wanna buy and I wanna put at least a v8 with at least one turbo, but ideally twin turbo, and ideally supercharged. I also wanna put a 5-6 speed transmission in it. I know this is going to take some engine bay mods but do you think I could do this, or even possibly make it work with a v10? v12 even? (Highly doubt v12, but would be cool if I could). Right now I’m thinking Ferrari California t v8.

edit:
For context I’m redoing the entire car, repainting it dark red, new engine, new trans, new exhaust, new interior, paddle shifters, new wheels, complete revamp.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:59 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Pig30
There is this 81 vette I wanna buy and I wanna put at least a v8 with at least one turbo, but ideally twin turbo, and ideally supercharged. I also wanna put a 5-6 speed transmission in it. I know this is going to take some engine bay mods but do you think I could do this, or even possibly make it work with a v10? v12 even? (Highly doubt v12, but would be cool if I could). Right now I’m thinking Ferrari ... .
Pig30

Welcome to Corvette Forum.

Link below to GM 1980 Twin Turbo Corvette, so that's a possible route.

As to V10/V12, might be cheaper to just buy a Ferrari.

Mapman

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...te-turbo-1980/
Old 05-13-2024, 07:31 AM
Pig30
4th Gear

Not gonna lie, this car is somewhat for ***** and giggles as a project car but it will fun and imma still go with the plan I have, and I actually managed to find a Ferrari v10 for like 10k. It’ll need work, but I was gonna rip apart the engine and tune it and cam it and do everything I can to squeeze every last bit of hp I can out of it
Old 05-13-2024, 08:11 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 880 Likes on 696 Posts

I believe we have a guy here with a 10 or 12 cylinder bmw drivetrain in his c3.
This kind of thing is feasible if you have the skills or a lot of $$ to pay someone. If it were me id start with everything else that would need to be customized to handle it like the rear end and transmission along with the suspension.. and of course a lot of expensive fab work.

By then you may be fine with a hot v8.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:31 AM
Pig30
4th Gear

Yeah you right, but its gonna be a multiple year project funded by engineering, and i just wanna know if I can fit a twin turbo and supercharger in there with it. I mostly just wanna know how big i can physically go as far as engine size, also, if anybody knows what the best twin turbo and supercharger would be for a v8 or v10, please let me know.

Last edited by Pig30; 05-13-2024 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I wanna add something because i forgot to add something
Old 05-13-2024, 08:41 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,248 Likes on 2,408 Posts

There is a twin turbo LS3 build on the Forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...car-build.html
Old 05-13-2024, 11:35 AM
EmptyBank
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I would personally love to see this come together! Please make a thread for it when you start this project.

I think, with some engineering you can fit that v10 in there. Technically there is room enough already for a big block. But remove the air box, put in hydroboost master, and do a rack and pinion conversion; then you’ll probably have enough room.

You will definitely need some custom brackets and custom fittings, but that’s half the fun right?

What are you thinking for the driveline? Will a T56 trans bolt up to that v10? Also you’ll have to do something about that aluminum Dana 44…
Old 05-13-2024, 03:16 PM
Pig30
4th Gear

Not entirely sure yet for the driveline, I’m still getting the basics figured out, such as the engine and color and trans and all that stuff, I don’t even know what suspension I want, but I will defenitly let you all know when I get the car and start the project, I’m excited for it. I’m most likely going to have a bunch of videos on my YouTube channel if it coming together and when I finish, make it all one vid. I’m planning on getting it in 5-7 years, because I’m not actually even in college yet, so I’ll have plenty of time to plan. As of right now, it doesn’t run, it’s this ugly yellowish cream on top of this ugly red color, the interior is broken, there is a rat nest in the engine bay, needs a new battery, spark plugs, fluids, and probably has chewed wires, but I’ll worry about that when I buy it, seeing as it will go from 8k to 12k of it runs. I know it won’t be sold to someone else because it’s my cousins grandpa (not from my side of the family) and I’ve already told him I’ll buy it when I can, and it goes to my cousin if he passes before then and I know she’ll hold it for me.
Old 05-17-2024, 05:03 PM
rabinaba
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I feel like I’ve seen a C3 with a V12 out of something British. Pretty sure it can be done. I wouldn’t recommend it, but almost anything possible with enough time and money. ​​​​​​
Old 05-17-2024, 05:15 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,248 Likes on 2,408 Posts

Originally Posted by rabinaba
I feel like I’ve seen a C3 with a V12 out of something British. Pretty sure it can be done. I wouldn’t recommend it, but almost anything possible with enough time and money. ​​​​​​
Perhaps you saw @Richard454's car? That's a V12 from a BMW, so more British than the royal family.

The following users liked this post:
4-vettes (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 05:34 PM
rabinaba
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Perhaps you saw @Richard454's car? That's a V12 from a BMW, so more British than the royal family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8d0VGLlR4
Both yes and no, actually. I was thinking of this post from back in the day where he talks about wanting to start it. Looks like he got the idea from someone who put a V12 from a Jag in theirs. Also looks like I was too lazy to read the full post when I first saw a few weeks ago
The following users liked this post:
Bikespace (05-17-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 81 corvette engine swap

Quick Reply: 81 corvette engine swap