C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightening the Vette......again....

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Guru_4_hire
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (DJ Dep)

dont you need a window defroster to be legal?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:52 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (Twin_Turbo)

If you install a rack and pinion steering gear (i.e. Steeroids) you should save 10 lbs or so. Somebody can probably provide a more exact figure.
The following users liked this post:
Fia69 (07-18-2017)
Old 04-08-2004, 09:03 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (Twin_Turbo)

Marck made a good point! Get some 4 pot alloy calipers, that'll save some weight (& empty your wallet).
The dual exhausts & Headers do save weight. I compared my stock system (but with a test pipe in place of a cat) with my new Headers, duals (with x-over) & mufflers & the new system was noticeably lighter. And this is for an '81 with the lightweight manifolds. A big weight loss was in junking the mufflers & fitting Monzas. Some people don't like the sound of the Monzas but they do weigh a lot less than the stock ones.
The tubular x-member is lighter than the stock one. I weighed them both & forget what the difference was (it's in the archives somewhere!!). I think it was around 9lb? But I think the 200-4r weighs more than the TH350.
Rear bumper on the '81 is alloy. Front one is some sort of fibreglass(?) lightweight item. The front impact support attachment weighs a lot & drilling it full of holes is a good idea (I couldn't be bothered!). I've read that it also acts as a vacuum reserve but mine has what looks like a large coffee tin clamped to it as the reserve (which weighs very little).
Something I noticed as overly heavy is the electric drivers seat. There's quite a bit of weight in those motors, so swapping the electric seat out (if you had one) would save a bit.
Front composite spring? Wouldn't that save a lot of weight compared to the coils? And it'd be weight lost in an important area.
Struts, etc made from titanium (but now we're getting into silly money)?
:cheers:
Old 04-08-2004, 09:30 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (79VetteMike)

I mentioned this before but not many people seemed to care - a lightweight battery. Get rid of that 45 pound battery and replace it with a Miata battery (23 pounds) or a dyno-batt battery (14 pounds)....30+ pound savings.

...or you can go ahead and pay $800 for aluminum calipers to save 8 pounds.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:34 PM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (SpyderD)

SpyderD
Good one :thumbs: Those batteries weigh a lot. But the main thing with the calipers is the stopping power of them. But then you might need to upgrade your tyres to cope.....
:cheers:
Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (UKPaul)

Marck made a good point! Get some 4 pot alloy calipers, that'll save some weight (& empty your wallet).
My integra 6 pistons only weight about 5,5 lbs so that's quite a bit less than the stockers.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Lightening the Vette......again.... (79VetteMike)

Radio (can't hear it over open headers).
Exhaust system (except for headers). Can use header mufflers if you want to stay legal.
Heater system along with blower motor (don't drive a Vette in the winter and don't need a heater in the summer).
All ductwork for heater under dash.
Wiper motor (no rain driving) and all associated parts
Any wiring connected to the above.

Dep

Old 07-18-2017, 10:52 PM
Fia69
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aluminum hats with bolt on rotors nice , think some one makes aluminum hubs with rotors as well. Your right about the weight out side the wheel base as to polar moment. Might check out FIA head lamp kit. Good luck
Old 07-18-2017, 11:20 PM
WillRace4Food
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Skip all this little stuff. Ditch the iron heads an block. (or at least alum. heads so your adding power at the same time as loosing weight). Im not sure what your trying to do with the car. It comes to a point where your paying for a few lbs that get you very little. Race seats, brakes, lighter wheels etc are all lighter but the small changes in"performance" you gain from this kind of weight is expensive . If your going to spend money spend it wisely. Rotating weight is the best weight to lighten up. Bigger changes like heads etc will save weight while adding power. Its a double wammy. (think ls1,2,3,x)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:43 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

2004... Not that I don't enjoy threads about lightening our whales, but I doubt the OP is still needing the advice.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
2004... Not that I don't enjoy threads about lightening our whales, but I doubt the OP is still needing the advice.
OP is long gone...

"Last Activity: 05-14-2007 04:35 PM"
Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 AM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,683 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by 79VetteMike
One of my major goals with Vette is lightening it. Here's what I've done so far:
Removed the a/c
aluminum radiator
aluminum water pump
aluminum heads are on order
aluminum intake (performance aftermarket engine)
headers and dual 2.5" exhaust(not sure this takes away weight)
fiberglass front spring and tubular control arms
fiberglass rear spring
mini-starter
removed the tire tub
I have superlight gauges, but don't think they are any lighter than stock
tubular trans crossmember (200R4 trans may be heavier?)
removed most of the bumper crap and replaced with fiberglass bumpers
After the aluminum heads and roller cam, the next big purchase will be aluminum drive and half shafts(same weight as carbon fiber, but cheaper-I had the opportunity to compare all three this weekend)
I plan to go with aftermarket brake calipers and build a carbon fiber console and remove the e-brake handle.
I also plan to build an aluminum radiator support
What I really want to know is this- did the '80-'82 have aluminum rear bumpers(behind the body-like Groovyjay has) AND will it mount up to the '79? Also- what about the options for the front?
I don't want to take out the vacuum headlights, but I'll see if I can make it lighter
I don't want to take away so much from the car that it is uncomfy-I NEED a stereo....
Any other suggestions?

[Modified by 79VetteMike, 7:42 PM 4/7/2004]
Coleman Racing did up some aluminum front hubs for our cars, but it won't be hard to source them direct! I combined mine with basically heavy duty directional vane NASCAR rotors which negated some of the weight saving, but they sell lighter weight stuff too, at a lot less than most others! Next I might float my rotors next!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:40 PM
LuckySeventySeven
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default An old but worthy post.

I got to get some things done and if I am replacing parts, then why the heck not off load some weight at the same time?

Anyone do an aluminum block build? Not into the idea of going the LSx route. Thinking of a Dart or Brodix long block with EFI and a manual trans to lightening things up. Its either completely go through the existing iron block/heads/intake, or replace with better and I'm thinking better.

Also the VBP composite (carbon fiber?) spring suspension front and rear should save some weight and I have to go through the suspension completely already as well as the brakes so aluminum breaks or in order. My trailing arm is loose as a goose on the driver side so new lightweight trailing arms maybe with the fancy spherical bearings.

I bet it might add up to 200 pounds and that has got to make the car feel a lot more responsive.

Quick Reply: Lightening the Vette......again....