C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:32 PM
michaels1fst69
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stupidist thing, well I have many but heres one. It was one nice day, and i decided to pull the vette out of the garage for a wash, so i threw the cover off and got in and pulled back when i heard a big breaking sound.. yes the cover got hung on the passenger mirror and the cover rolled under the wheel and yanked my mirror off, I was sick for the rest of the day!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:34 PM
robertmc48
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

About 2-3 weeks ago I was moving the corvette out of the garage. It's a little tricky getting it out and I had to move forward to readjust the angle. After I moved it forward I hit the remote to close the garage door. As the door went down it rubbed a nice little 1/2 inch of paint off the very tip of my 1973. I pulled the car back into the garage and haven't driven it since. I'll deal with the problem next spring/summer. I can't remember the last time I felt like such an idiot.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:40 PM
michaels1fst69
Cruising

ok heres another one, I could fill this page up myself, parked my car in the garage where I thought it was safe and sound with one window still down, got up the next day and and notice the cat was all cozy and warm in the car, then notice he used my seat back for sharpening his nails, my recently new seats, talking about mad.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:43 PM
OneBrokenSmile07
Instructor

ok heres another one, I could fill this page up myself, parked my car in the garage where I thought it was safe and sound with one window still down, got up the next day and and notice the cat was all cozy and warm in the car, then notice he used my seat back for sharpening his nails, my recently new seats, talking about mad.
Who's up for Filet de Cat?

Old 10-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Summerfun
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah....forgot about the cat!!!

NEVER EVER holler at your loving kitty when he is walking around on your C3 hood!!!!!

The second time, my wife did it.....DOH!!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Slick McFavorite
Instructor

Oh, yeah. I have another one. The '82 my roommate owns doesn't have a working door handle so he's forced to keep the window down all the time because it's his daily driver(to open the door from the inside). Well one day after work he got in his car and he thought he smelt something. It was cat ****. Some cat had jumped in his car and relieved itself while he was working. Hahaha.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:40 PM
Drew M
Team Owner

On my DD (no vette yet). Drove home with a broken LF upper control arm. 2am. couldn't see. didnt know what happened, and REALLY didn't want to call/pay for a tow truck. 15min ride turned into a 35min ride. oh well. coulda been ALOT worse.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:57 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

You know everyone warns you about putting the springs back in the front end.. Well I was using a spring compressor and a jack just to take up the slack.. Well as I'm trying to figure out why I can't get it to sit right in the spring perch.. Yep... KA BAMMMM!!!! The compressor slipped and the whole car jumped on the jack stands. Luckly with the jack below it a inch or so at the time it didn't allow the spring to find a way thru the fender... I was surprised that it didn't as it seems if it were not for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all.....

oH how about this one.. I was working under the car while we were loading the motor and tranny in.. Well you know how the car sits higher without the motor..ya that whole spring weight thing.. Well I'm trying to guide the tailshaft across the crossmember as my buddy deals with the engine and hoist.. Well as we got it positioned and into place. The car is settling and as it did trapping me under the car... I knew I was stuck and my buddy was still trying to get the motor to lay in right.. I just layed there then discovered it was getting a little hard to breathe... I said hey man you free yet?? He was like I almost got it can you move the rear a little said sure.. But can you bring a jack over here first so I can breathe.. Nothing serious but funny after the fact... Dave...
Old 10-29-2004, 11:52 AM
mlub
Racer

once i was trying to get my shifter unstuck...finally succeeded, put the car back on the ground, and went inside to take a shower...

a few minutes later my friend comes in and says
"do you know where your car is?"
i say "huh?"

it had rolled backwards out my driveway...down the street...and plowed into a wooden dumpster barrier...missed a metal pole by 6 in.
my face was just a little red
Old 10-29-2004, 12:25 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

1. Vette need to be jumped. Open driver's door, hooked up cable, closed door. Left a nice crack in door.

2. Car up on jack stands. Jacked car up. Removed jack stand. Lowered car. Stand not totally out of the way. Bent rocker panel and cracked fiberglass.

3. Moving car (no engine, new bumper) with tow rope and truck. Rope slipped to side and jammed up into new bumper breaking fiberglass. Got a chance to work on my fiberglass skills.

All caused by rushing and not taken enough time.

Now she is beautiful and no longer a daily driver. Lets hope I am learning to slow down.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:54 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

This pales in comparison to those above, but here goes...

After successfully replacing the ignition tumber in my steering column, I inadvertantly over-tighten the steering wheel center nut such that the center threaded shaft protrudes out too far. Not knowing this and attempting to put the horn button on (last part of re-assembly), I begin to get frustrated because it won't stay put. So, with a little extra force I smash the center plastic Corvette logo against the threaded shaft. $40 repair due to impatience and not studying the problem.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

I was drilling a hole in the choke linkage plate. As I pulled the drill away to blow off the shavings from the manifold, the hot 1/8" drill bit dug & dragged it's way across the top of my newly painted fender. That cordless drill remains in 100 pieces all over my garage floor as a reminder for me to cover the fenders no matter how small or quick the job is.
Eddie

Last edited by Silvr77; 10-29-2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:24 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Sold it but good thing is I got another Corvette. I wish I could have kept them both now.
Old 10-29-2004, 05:31 PM
Aflac
Race Director

Cruise-In 5, 6 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

While doing my brakes (never ending thankless project on these cars, it seems, I was at wits end working on it and decided to call my dad for some advice. I just got done washing the car before working on the brakes. It was a sunny day so I had the top out. I opened the drivers door and was sitting on the door sill leaned over talking to dad on the phone. Right then the local sparrow population decided to do an appreciation flyover and poo'ed the entire length of the car and managed to save the biggest drop for the back of my neck...not sure if that qualifies as stupid, but attempting to do the brakes by myself should...
Old 10-29-2004, 06:27 PM
rcastor426
Racer

Bottle to throttle if you know what i mean lets say i was ok, but the car needed new trailing arms
Old 10-29-2004, 09:53 PM
wattac2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was replacing the fuel pump and having trouble gettting the fuel line from the tank to fit to the pump. My wife called me to supper so I just left the line open next to the pump. Came back in a couple of hours and the whole car was surrounded in a puddle of gas. One spark would have blown up the car and my whole house. I quickly soaked up the gas and throw the rags outside. My heart was stopped most of the time I was soaking it up. The "good news" is there was not "bad news", but it was close.

Andy
Old 10-29-2004, 10:14 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Could not find my trouble light, looked everywhere for it and gave up and bought another one. A few months later I'm under the car and there it is still hanging off the header where I had it hooked minus the cord

Get notified of new replies

To Stupidest thing ever done to your vette

Old 10-29-2004, 10:21 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

These are great. Keep them coming. My turn now. So many to choose from.

Had my '74 up on stands, no tires or rims. I was removing the rear caluper. The bolt was rusted so I put on my trusty L handle and really leaned into it. Amazing how much damage you can do when a wheeless car crashes to the ground.

I bubba'd that one back together and sold it.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:17 PM
Todd68
Racer

Well here's mine. When I was installing a gear drive I had to remove the harmonic balancer. I had the puller on the balancer & was turning the puller with a good size combination wrench for leverage. When the balancer "popped" and started to move, the wrench slipped off the puller and the other end (and my hand) went right into the radiator!
After I bandaged up my shredded knuckles I started to call around for a new radiator...and learned how much they cost.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:18 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't ever hand the garage door remote control button over to the wife as you're starting to back out of the garage with the garage door ALREADY OPEN!!!! At least it wasn't the Vette but my 70 Nova driver. It's really a pain to smooth out a roof!
Mike

Quick Reply: Stupidest thing ever done to your vette