C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZZ4 Identification

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 08:08 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default ZZ4 Identification

May be looking at a used ZZ4 crate motor this weekend. How do I know thats what it is? Any numbers stamped anywhere?
Thanks
Old 12-17-2004, 08:33 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is where mine is ID'd and reads V0728ZZ4. My ZZ4 is almost 7 years old now and has a sticker laminated to the block stamp pad. I have never messed with it to see if there are any markings under it though.

Craig
Old 12-17-2004, 11:42 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 563 Likes on 381 Posts

I have a ZZ4 and can provide more information if you want. First of all the aluminum cylinder heads must have "D" shaped exhaust ports. (It's a lazy D where the flat side of the D is horizntal.) The spark plugs will be angled. Another thing, look at the engine block between the driver's side valve cover and the end of the block. You will see "Hencho en Mexico" cast into the block. If your block ain't been henco'ed in Mexico, it ain't a ZZ4. ZZ4 blocks were painted black and the black valve covers have retaining bolts along the valve cover center, not along the edges as with previous small blocks. The timing chain cover is black 200 mph rated black plastic. The ZZ4 came with an HEI distributor and a cast iron water pump. I'll have to look to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it comes with the long water pump. Early C3's need the short water pump. (The long and short are basically identical except the long sticks perhaps an inch or so in extra in front of the block.) If I can remember correctly, the short water pump will fit a ZZ4 except you have to grind a little off of one of the ZZ4's timing chain cover bolt. The ZZ4 has the modern Oil Can Icon for the oil filler cap ( I really dislike that Ikon thing) and the oil dip stick has a yellow handle. Also ZZ4's did not come from the factory with fuel pumps, carbs, or starters.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:30 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 786 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I have a ZZ4 and can provide more information if you want. First of all the aluminum cylinder heads must have "D" shaped exhaust ports. (It's a lazy D where the flat side of the D is horizntal.) The spark plugs will be angled. Another thing, look at the engine block between the driver's side valve cover and the end of the block. You will see "Hencho en Mexico" cast into the block. If your block ain't been henco'ed in Mexico, it ain't a ZZ4. ZZ4 blocks were painted black and the black valve covers have retaining bolts along the valve cover center, not along the edges as with previous small blocks. The timing chain cover is black 200 mph rated black plastic. The ZZ4 came with an HEI distributor and a cast iron water pump. I'll have to look to make sure, but I'm pretty sure it comes with the long water pump. Early C3's need the short water pump. (The long and short are basically identical except the long sticks perhaps an inch or so in extra in front of the block.) If I can remember correctly, the short water pump will fit a ZZ4 except you have to grind a little off of one of the ZZ4's timing chain cover bolt. The ZZ4 has the modern Oil Can Icon for the oil filler cap ( I really dislike that Ikon thing) and the oil dip stick has a yellow handle. Also ZZ4's did not come from the factory with fuel pumps, carbs, or starters.

+ mine has a ZZ4 sticker on the pan. I can't remember what side and it may be gone if it was used for any length of time.

68/70 Vette - look what I did to that ugly icon!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:02 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 563 Likes on 381 Posts

Beautiful. I hate those icons. I like what you did . I'll try try to duplicate.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:26 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
Beautiful. I hate those icons. I like what you did . I'll try try to duplicate.
They are actually the x-flags that go on the L82 valve covers. I had to trim them a little. I used 3M yellow contact glue and they have been on there for about 3 years now.
Old 12-19-2004, 08:49 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will get over to get a look at it today.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Talked to the fellow today with the engine. He tells me it only has 10 hrs on it and is asking $2300. What do you think?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:20 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Roadster71
Talked to the fellow today with the engine. He tells me it only has 10 hrs on it and is asking $2300. What do you think?
Not bad. 10 hours comes out to around 500 miles or so on average.
Old 12-24-2004, 01:18 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Originally Posted by theandies
Not bad. 10 hours comes out to around 500 miles or so on average.
I am still trying to make up my mind. The motor visually looks like it has more than 10 hrs on it to me. It looks to dirty to me for that little use. The motor is sitting on a skid and was taken out of a camero project car that was never finished.
What should I look for when you can't see a egine run?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To ZZ4 Identification

Quick Reply: ZZ4 Identification