C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interstate Battery Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:37 PM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by November Soul
My battery has just failed too. (actually it's been bad for a while, but that's my fault - I haven't been driving it).

I was looking at the $60 batteries in WalMart, they are yellow and have a 3 year guarantee. Are these any good?

Also, since I hardly drive my corvette (leaving it sitting for 3-4 months at a time is common). What's the best way to keep the battery in good condition? Bear in mind that it's outside, so hooking up a trickle charger is impractical at best.

I was looking into one of those solar battery savers (I'm in Souther California) - has anyone used one with good results?

BatterySaver Plus
NEVER let a lead acid battery sit doing nothing even disconnected! If you don't want to run a 120 v line out to your car to a battery tender, then use a solar powered battery charger! If you keep your battery charged you will experience normal battery life. If you let your battery go dead and then charge it up and repeat, you will experience short battery life.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had a problem on a Duralast battery made by Johnson Controls.

Johnson Controls is the leader in batteries and makes several brands.

I took mine into Autozone and had no issue, got a great credit and a new battery.

Duralast is 3 years free replacement, after that pro-rate.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:40 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. Another 5 year old thread revival... what's with people these days?!

Regardless of what this thread says I will continue to use only Interstate or Delco batteries. I have never had an issue with either brand.

I will NEVER again have an Optima battery in anything I own... even if you gave it to me for free.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:27 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,797 Likes on 666 Posts

I get to post to a 5 year old thread? Schweeeeeet. I'm looking at replacing the batt in my vette next spring, as the PO installed a non-maintainence free and it's a PITA to check the water level. My 01 Bonneville still has it's original Declo battery so I'm thinking that's what I'll go with.

astepup said that
Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM
ShadetreeMech
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries in general...........

Well now, it's a 6-year-old thread. I didn't even notice the start-up date on this thread until someone mentioned it towards the end. I was just looking for different views concerning replacement batteries and hoping to get some great insight into the best brand. I would have gone with Interstate until reading this, but now I’m not sure. Maybe I’ll cruise over to the Sears store and see if they have anything to fit a C3 Stingray. I checked with Costco, but didn’t have any luck. I’m looking for a dual-post version if anyone has any suggestions.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadetreeMech
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Well now, it's a 6-year-old thread.
Ya know nOOb, you can start a new threads here
Old 03-04-2011, 01:10 AM
dwblindref
Racer

Default Interstate Battery

I worked for Interstate Batteries in Niagara Falls, NY for 4 years as a Route driver. Each battery has a date code from the factory (Johnson Controls in Dallas, TX) stamped on the top end or corner of the battery. Each battery that is on the rack in the dealership, gas station, or the like is "rotated" out every 3 months. That battery is brought back to the "shop" and checked for charge and recharged andd RESTAMPED with a new date code, wrapped and sent back out. After 12 months the battery is either discounted or sent back to Johnson controls for credit and/or a replacement. In the field we had the option to warrant the batteries on the spot or bring them back for testing. 85% of all batteries were run down, not defective but run down. We would give the shop owner the option of taking that fully charged, date stamped, and shrink wrapped battery back or working out some sort of deal with him depending on his track record. Shops will say or do anything to try and have a FREE REPLACEMENT battery when there is nothing wrong with it in the first place. I cannot believe that nobody out there currently works for Interstate Batteries or that Norm Miller has not been contacted and this matter resolved. I only purchase Interstate Batteries, they may not be the best but they USUALLY do not hassle the customer. Sometimes attitude plays a big role in how a battery is warranted. I had customers try to switch labels with a 5 or 6 year old battery and claim it is only a year old. I visited Johnson Controls in Dallas and watched the production line handle Interstate, Delco, Motorcraft, Walmart and a couple of other brands roll down the same line. Yes, each company has the battery made to their specs, but it was funny watching our competition roll down the same line. The buck stops with the individual dealer, gas station, garage, auto dealer, retail store, etc. Sorry to be so long but I feel Interstate does handle customer compliants very well and works with the owner to insure satisfaction. I had a horror story with AutoZone on the battery for my 95 Vette. They are 100% fudged up, without question. I gave them the 3 month old GOLD battery back and went out and bought an Interstate.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:42 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

I am the guy who originally made this post. I have not changed my mind about Interstate. Never heard a word from them, left voice mails and emails. I may have been the exception, but they won the battle and I gave up. Bought from Sam's Club, second year left it in unheated storage for the winter, battery dead, and Sam's exchanged it for 47 cents. That represented the change in price. Last weekend I replaced the battery in my 2005 Magnum. I suppose you can guess where my money went...it wasn't Merit Drive in Dallas. Every time I see a post in the forum about batteries, I post the link to my problems. I will take every opportunity possible to badmouth Interstate.

Last edited by Jim Nichols; 03-04-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by dwblindref
I visited Johnson Controls in Dallas and watched the production line handle Interstate, Delco, Motorcraft, Walmart and a couple of other brands roll down the same line.
Originally Posted by Jim Nichols
Bought from Sam's Club. You can guess where my money went...it wasn't Merit Drive in Dallas.
Sounds like your money might have gone there after all...
Old 03-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Originally Posted by Railroadman
Sounds like your money might have gone there after all...
Merit Drive is Interstate's Corporate HQ.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,010 Likes on 2,529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Merit Drive is Interstate's Corporate HQ.
I got it now - perhaps the same actual manufacturer, but Interstate does not get any part of your $ if you go through Walmart.

Seems strange that a relatively big name like Interstate would have such a poor response to a customer issue but your experience speaks for itself.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:58 PM
ShadetreeMech
Navigator

Dwblindref........... as you watched the batteries go down the line at Johnson, did you happen to see any Diehard's. I was wondering who makes Sears batteries.

Kim
Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Originally Posted by ShadetreeMech
Dwblindref........... as you watched the batteries go down the line at Johnson, did you happen to see any Diehard's. I was wondering who makes Sears batteries.

Kim
According to Consumer Reports:

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."
Old 03-06-2011, 12:09 PM
proracr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow! I'm glad that I read this thread as I was thinking of installing an Interstate battery if/when I needed a replacement in one of my three vehicles. No Interstate batteries for me!
Old 03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
ShadetreeMech
Navigator

Thanks for the information, Jim................
Old 03-06-2011, 03:48 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I use the Kragens/O Reilly store for my batteries. They are close by and offer battery services to either check the batteries, or replace them on the spot. And for under $100 every 2 - 4 years I have no complaints with this method.

kdf
Old 03-07-2011, 04:09 PM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

What are Delco prices? I am looking to change mine before getting stuck somewhere. It has a " used car " battery in it and I have had it for two years. I do keep it on a Schumacher battery automatic trickle charger.

Get notified of new replies

To Interstate Battery Update

Old 03-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just over $110 6YR, 7YR is a little more, depending on your neck of the woods.

78-6YR or 7YR.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:34 AM
pitchadude
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

According to Consumer Reports:

"Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names. Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models. Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries. Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts."
Well why are DieHard and Interstate so different then...just the customer service?
Old 03-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Originally Posted by pitchadude
Well why are DieHard and Interstate so different then...just the customer service?
That would be my guess. I noted two problems: Interstate sells thru independent dealers so first level of customer service is outside the control of the company, and in my experience it was impossible ever talk to anyone at Interstate. I called several times and sent an email to their senior management. (Found addresses on the web) Have never heard from them.

Quick Reply: Interstate Battery Update