C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interstate Battery Update

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 AM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interstate Battery Update

As I reported last Saturday, I dropped off my 7 month old Interstate Battery at a local dealer, where I was told they couldn't do anything about it until Monday. On Monday, I received a call from Interstate in Dallas saying they were going to pick up the battery to have it shipped from suburban Detroit to Dallas to have it inspected in their warehouse. So now I wait. My 91 Coupe has been without the battery for 10 days.

Isn't this fun.

Jim
Old 03-05-2005, 10:14 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Not fun. Mine is still out of the car on a nice warm trickle charger. Think we can hit the road here in the Great Lakes State in a couple of weeks?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:16 AM
flylowguy
Instructor

Default Put your foot down

That's crap. Tell them to swap it right now or else you're gonna tell on 'em !
They have enough batteries to at least LEND you one while they flub the return processing, don't they?
The squeaking wheel gets the grease.....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:23 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is just ridiculous. Obviously you don't need the vehicle right now having been without juice for 10 days. On the bright side all your codes are well cleared if there were any.

So if they decide that yes it is defective and provide you with a reimburstment on a pro-rated warranty, are you going to pay the difference and get another Interstate?

Seems to me, a relatively new battery failing should be an immediate replacement to save company reputation. Interstate is a publicly held company, a quick call to the executive level would resolve it in 24 hours, I bet. Assistant to the VP would resolve this.

With my previous experience with Interstate, I would have replaced it with another brand last Saturday and been waiting for a credit from them. Just my 2-cents.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There should be absolutely no reason to have to wait for another battery. The local dealer should have replaced it on the spot. The Interstate Battery website clearly specifies the free replacement period depending on the model of the battery. According to their website. you don't need the original purchase receipt and the purhcase date should be on the battery. If you have their "Mega-Tron bttery, it will have an 18 MONTH free replacement warranty.

This is all plain and simple. Call Interstate Customer Service at 1-888-772-3600 and tell them what the local dealer is doing. You should have gotten a new battery immediately or at least the next business day.

There is nothing special about a Corvette battery. It's a Group 75 battery and that is a relatively common group so any dealer should have them in stock.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:49 PM
John Robinson
Racer

Default Change brands

I had the same problem with Interstate on a battery that was only 10 months old. Yes I was dealing with Dallas. First they wanted the old battery back. Sorry but dealer kept it. Then they claimed the dealer did not know how to test a battery. Sorry again he has been in business 40 years. Short version I finally got a refund after more than a year of phone calls by me and the dealer. Just the other day I was at the dealer when a salesman for Interstate showed up and wanted to talk to the owner about replacing the brand he was carrying with Interstate. I just could not keep my mouth shut about my expericence and what I thought about their company. After the salesman left with his t--- between his legs I apoligized to my friend the owner for butting into his business. His comment was Right on Man he told me I had not offended him because he was going to tell about his frustration with trying to get a settlement for my battery.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 PM
smack123
Drifting

Ouch - I just bought a new battery yesterday. 3 year over the counter replacement guaranteed, and then another 6 years on top of that witha pro-rated warranty, foa total of 9 years coverage. If I take it in for the first 3 years and they test it and it doesn't bounce back to 12.6 after load they replace it right there and then.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:08 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Walmart would have given you a new battery on the spot
Old 03-05-2005, 03:15 PM
85vetteguy
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
Walmart would have given you a new battery on the spot
Same w/ Sears. This is . Guy
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
1Patriot
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the real reasons my vehicles have Sears batteries. On the spot replacements and prorated cost of replacements when necessary.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
skateparkdave
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

When I bought my 90 it had been in storage for quite some time and the old Interstate battery would'nt hold a charge for long. I took it to a local Firestone dealer in hopes of some sort of pro rate discount. They didn't even check the battery. They just handed me a brand new interstate at no charge. I had no reciept, the battery had no tag in a pouch and the date had been scratched off and it was obviously an older model and they still just handed me a new one free of charge. I was like WOW, THANKS!

I dont understand why you're getting the run around. I think I would be taking my business elsewhere.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:20 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Default Don't deal with interstate....

Walmart and Sears has great products, prices and guarantees. Walmart will replace your battery on the spot and Sears Diehard Gold is a great replacement. There are probably many more good products out there with good guarantees.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:42 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

It has a 75 month warranty. As I posted last week, after calling their 800 number, it took me 2 hours to have someone answer the phone, and all he could offer was the same phone numbers their automated number did. He finally transfered me to the warehouse wher a guy told me the battery would have to be charged at 12.4 volts for 72 hours before Johnson Controls would replace it for them.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Originally Posted by skateparkdave
When I bought my 90 it had been in storage for quite some time and the old Interstate battery would'nt hold a charge for long. I took it to a local Firestone dealer in hopes of some sort of pro rate discount. They didn't even check the battery. They just handed me a brand new interstate at no charge. I had no reciept, the battery had no tag in a pouch and the date had been scratched off and it was obviously an older model and they still just handed me a new one free of charge. I was like WOW, THANKS!

I dont understand why you're getting the run around. I think I would be taking my business elsewhere.
You can be sure this is my last Interstate.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:57 PM
rick lambert
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use Sears Diehards-never a problem. Thats BS about having to wait on them.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:22 PM
wake
Race Director

Looks like I'll be sticking with my Optimas and Delcos...
Old 03-05-2005, 08:01 PM
LoneStarSoldier
Burning Brakes

I got an Interstate that was in the car 8 months and would not hold a charge, took it to them and they came up witrh all kinds of excuses, mainly it was my car. I had misconnected it and charged it with my battery charger and let it set disconnected for 4 or so days and it was dead. Make a long story short, went to Sears and got a Diehard and it's been great ever-since. By the way I did not buy the Interstate or will I ever Buy an Interstate and that's what I told the Regional Manager when I spoke to him along with a few other things.
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Interstate Battery Update

Old 03-05-2005, 10:07 PM
snoopdan
Drifting

I've always had the weirdest dealings with interstate too. Im glad its not just me. Only thing I have used them for that was kind of handy is buying used batteries off of them for various other projects I had, when it wasnt worth buying a new battery. They always carry a huge stockpile of used, typically O.K. batteries for like $10 each. I even bought some huge 100lb diesel truck batteries for 12 bucks each. Made a killer marine battery

As much as I hate walmart, it was a great choice one night when my battery went south one late evening, and I pulled into the oil changing stalls there. For $50 for a battery and installation, i figured it was at least worth that if I had to get towed home. And the guys who do the oil changes at walmart get a big kick out of "repairing" a vette.

snoopdan
Old 03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Their customer service is reprehensible. I had an Interstate battery that lasted a whopping 8 months. That was the first and last time I ever bought one. I have since purchased Sears' Gold Die-Hard and couldn't be happier. I use them in all my cars and never had one problem.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:08 PM
Jim Nichols
Racer

Since I was dead on the Ohio Turnpike, my choices were limited to what the shop had where I was towed. It has convinced me that I will only purchase from Sears, Walmart, Auto Zone, Murray's, etc.

Jim

Quick Reply: Interstate Battery Update