Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 02:55 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,895 Likes on 798 Posts

Put it this way....you can pick up a beautiful C4 with low miles for a song right now. If you buy at the right point in the cycle and dont overpay, you will not lose a dollar on your investment. And have a lot of fun in the process. Get in touch with a Corvette club in your area also....they may have events that would interest her as well. Oh...if you buy a 1990 or earlier car you also can get stated value antique car insurance (admittedly with limited use) for about $300 for the whole year! We have had our '87 for 12 years now and I figure its down in value about $4,000 from what I paid for it, even with the downturn in C4 prices since the C5 came out. Go for it....life is short!
Old 05-08-2005, 03:19 PM
NightFlight
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately, when we started dating 30 years ago, my wife knew and understood she was marring a 'gear head'. Cars have never been a subject of discussion, she knew we'd never own a station wagon or mini van and since I fix 'em, I pick 'em, so I've never been in the specific situation you're in; but there have been other things along the way where she has said 'no way!' When she has, we've talked them out -- sometimes her reasoning has won out, sometime mine has.

How does this help with our problem -- it doesn't and shouldn't. I don't think you can find answer to it here, this is something you and your wife need to workout. This isn't a Corvette issue, it's a relationship issue. Sorry, IMHO I just think any advice you get here could get you into more trouble then it's worth --what has worked for one couple may or may not work for you. For example, you suprise her with a Vette, she just might surprise you with taking half your stuff.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:33 PM
~SlvrFox~
Racer

St. Jude Donor '05

Just giver her those big puppy dog eyes and recall something you did for her that rerall was a stretch, like moving back to snowy old Michigan from beautiful Seattle Washington and say... "You'd do anything to make me happy wouldn't you??????????" Doesn't hurt to whine a little while your doing it.

But seriously, they're not all that expensive. I like the idea of pointing out a man needs a hobby. Its just a part of our composition. We need something to keep us occupied and why not make it somethine we really like.

Old 05-08-2005, 06:41 PM
rufneck
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I really never had a problem "convincing" my wife when I bought my Vette. However I have since been absolutely Shocked/ Thrilled by the way she has taken to it. As I've said before I work in Africa 1/2 the year and now she's started driving the Vette when I'm gone and this morning she asked me to get directions for her to go to the rally at Texas Speedway later this month. I'll miss it since I'll be gone.. Moral of the story is even if she doesn't like it at first .. who knows she may take a real interest in it. And it is something you can do together.. LOTS more fun than shopping for Shoes together !!!!

Go buy the car.. Enjoy Life !!!!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:11 PM
Swampy
Advanced

Default I never had a problem with the wife.......

I always had bikes, quads, cars, jeeps, trucks. She always had horses, trucks trailers and horse shows. We paid the bills, put 5 kids thru school. Then I sold the road bikes and started in on the vettes. 5 vettes later, she likes it as much as I do. She is the one to suggest lets drive up to the Car Show every Monday night in the vette. She is the one that wants to drive it to the ice cream shop on thos nice nights with the top off. Now we are not spring chickens either. I'm 63, she is 58.

As most have said, you need better communcations between yourselves. There are plenty or nice vettes for very reasonable prices.
C-4's are great deals right now....and plenty of decent ones, drivers that look great for 5 grand....later in year, you can buy many of them for less that private party price. Even now if you shop.... I bet once she rides around in one, she might just start to like it also.... Perhaps ask her to go for a ride in one at a dealer or one you find in the paper for the right price. Being you like to tinker yourself, me also, they are not expensive to keep up unless you want it to be.

I have 2 of them in the garage now and she prefers the 92, and I prefer the 79. My son has and 88 and a 68.... Its a very catching thing and rubs off easily.

Type in say 84 corvette in the ebay search....Those are dirt cheap and easy to come by because of the crossfire setup.... Truthfully, a few of my buddies got them with low miles and have been having a ball with them. Wife and I feel your dead a lot longer then your alive....Go for it. Long as you can pay the bills and do the things needed to do, the rest is yours to do as you please. My kids will get tanagble asscets to cash in.... I'll bet them keep it all.....

Good luck...... You know her best....talk it out.....Mabye how it will keep you home tinkering with it, yet a fun ride when you guys go out for a spin.... Top off, cool night, bet she gets hooked. Heck if you lived closer you could take one of mine......

Take care guy......

Swampy
Old 05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P---y Whipped

THIS IS NOT PERSONAL, ONLY OBJECTIVE CONVERSATION.
Yeah, I have a brother that is p---y whipped. His first wife dragged him around by his nose. I would go see him, say let's go get a beer, and she would tell him he could not go. "What is this"?
There is not anything wrong with telling your wife where you are going to be, but for her to say you cannot do something innocent like go get a beer, etc., I would be long gone, adios, goodbye.

As far as I am concerned, if you let your main squeeze pull your strings, then it is your fault.
And if she has to lead you around, then she will lose all respect. No way, no, never.
Now if you cannot fit the piece into your budget, for original cost, insurance, upkeep, unexpected repairs, etc., then some common sense should prevail.
I am married to the same woman, love her very much. She does her thing, I do mine, but we always have quality time to spend together.
I am into more things then Vettes, and she enjoys them all.
As far as the Vette side, she may ask to go for a ride about every 3 or 4 weeks, get her fill, and that's it. Only thing she wants to go more on is the boat. That's cool, likes to swim in the deep water, I stay on top watch for big fish, and have another Bud.
Drive the Vette? She wants nothing to do with it.

Just my two cents, and it is not aimed at the dude that is looking to convince his wife. JUST DO IT ! You are the man, the dragon slayer, the guy that protects her, your children, and your home.
Look in the mirror, pound your chest. Go get that Vette, C-4 prices are at the bottom of the curve, and there are fabulous deals out there. Get a roadster, pick her up with the top down.
Boatman
Old 05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Hi all,

Good news all. I printed out the whole thread and had my wife read it tonight (all 13 pages). I think that she just realized how important it is to me. She was pretty silent for awhile, then we had dinner. After that I brought up the subject once again, I also gave her a little realization of how much she spends on clothing in a month. All of the sudden it is not such a bad idea.

So now the big question is...................Anyone know of a good inexpensive C4 in the St. Cloud/Twin cities area (Minnesota). So the hunt begins.

Thank You everyone,
Rob
Old 05-08-2005, 08:07 PM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Finding your Vette

Rob - Go to: www.autotrader.com, punch in your parameters, which is zip code to miles you want to travel to buy, etc., and go for it.
Also, www.collectorcartrader.com. There are other sites,
www.vettehound.com, www.usedcorvettesforsale.com
www.corvettetrader.com, plus many dealers.
My suggestion is to buy from a private individual. Get hold of the local Corvette club, have a member that has some experience with the type you want to purchase, and go see it.
DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH OR PURCHASE THE FIRST ONE YOU SEE !

Ask for documents, history, do a car-fax, go over it with a microscope.
Repairs on Corvettes can be up to $100.00 per hour, plus parts.
Take your time, read, read and read some more, ask questions on this forum.
Watch the local newspaper, buy Hemmings, buy Corvette Chevy Trader at the local book store.
Get educated, sometime the best deal is right down the street.
Boatman
Old 05-08-2005, 08:20 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Thanks for the links man. I knew about autotrader but not the others.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 05-08-2005, 08:48 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 87Clwy
Fortunately, when we started dating 30 years ago, my wife knew and understood she was marring a 'gear head'. Cars have never been a subject of discussion, she knew we'd never own a station wagon or mini van and since I fix 'em, I pick 'em, so I've never been in the specific situation you're in; but there have been other things along the way where she has said 'no way!' When she has, we've talked them out -- sometimes her reasoning has won out, sometime mine has.

How does this help with our problem -- it doesn't and shouldn't. I don't think you can find answer to it here, this is something you and your wife need to workout. This isn't a Corvette issue, it's a relationship issue. Sorry, IMHO I just think any advice you get here could get you into more trouble then it's worth --what has worked for one couple may or may not work for you. For example, you suprise her with a Vette, she just might surprise you with taking half your stuff.

87, my wife thinks that your post is the most reasonable and logical posted so far!
Old 05-08-2005, 08:53 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatman
Rob - Go to: www.autotrader.com, punch in your parameters, which is zip code to miles you want to travel to buy, etc., and go for it.
Also, www.collectorcartrader.com. There are other sites,
www.vettehound.com, www.usedcorvettesforsale.com
www.corvettetrader.com, plus many dealers.
My suggestion is to buy from a private individual. Get hold of the local Corvette club, have a member that has some experience with the type you want to purchase, and go see it.
DO NOT FALL IN LOVE WITH OR PURCHASE THE FIRST ONE YOU SEE !

Ask for documents, history, do a car-fax, go over it with a microscope.
Repairs on Corvettes can be up to $100.00 per hour, plus parts.
Take your time, read, read and read some more, ask questions on this forum.
Watch the local newspaper, buy Hemmings, buy Corvette Chevy Trader at the local book store.
Get educated, sometime the best deal is right down the street.
Boatman

And most importantly, if you have any doubts or questions, come here and ask them! The depth of knowledge on this forum is astounding. And no question will ever be considered too silly or stupid. (Unless of course you ask about floor mats, then we'll simply direct you to C5 general)

Good luck in your search man and welcome to the addiction.!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:04 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice I really see how valuable this forum really is.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-08-2005, 09:12 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

That's good news! Grab a C4, and head over to some of the forum events in your area. Bring the wife with you. After time, she may see the whole picture about Corvette people and appreciate it like the rest of us. Mine isn't thrilled with my vette at all, won't even get in it, but doesn't mind after I got her a car she really loves. That, and she's relieved to hear me meeting some decent people-Not the crowd I used to hang out with.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:17 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by psychodiagnostik
Dr. Phil would have told the OP what he "needed to do" in very concrete terms, and this would have led the the OP into implementing some short-term conflict resolution strategies that may have helped a little, but would have most likely neglected the apparent super-ordinate goal of keeping the relationship intact.

I simply suggested some more information gathering, to get to the real source of the conflict. However, advice on an electronic bulletin board is all that any of what I'm saying is, so what you do with it is up to you, you know the situation you're in better than anybody in cyberspace!
WTF I see your a Minnesota guy I bought two vetts off www.carsoup.com I just checked there is a **** load on there if you need help or advice I may be able to help. Good luck

Last edited by redvette6spd; 05-08-2005 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:35 PM
92Roadster
Drifting

Originally Posted by aboatguy
At lunch I drove her SUV to the Chevy dealer and traded it in on the VETTE.

Good Luck
Old 05-08-2005, 09:48 PM
psychodiagnostik
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

never mind, I was replying to the wrong post.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:51 PM
capkarl
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09,'10,'11,'12,'13,'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Mikez40
You can do like I did, I told my wife I was going to HomeDepot and come home with a Vette. Yep she was mad, but she got over it. We are still married now for 21 years and I am on my 4th Corvette in 12 years. Oh and she still doesn't really like Vettes.

In fact when I came home with the ZR-1 she said: "why didn't you buy a C5, they are easier to get in and out of."

On another note, I always buy her a "New" car. and my Vettes have always been used. So I keep her spoiled.

Good luck
I have to agree with your wife, you should have bought the C5.

Get notified of new replies

To I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post

Old 05-08-2005, 09:52 PM
ziggyzz
Intermediate

Yep I have been on carsoup most of the day. I have several e-mails out we will see what comes up.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 05-08-2005, 10:04 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ziggyzz
Hi all,

Good news all. I printed out the whole thread and had my wife read it tonight (all 13 pages). I think that she just realized how important it is to me. She was pretty silent for awhile, then we had dinner. After that I brought up the subject once again, I also gave her a little realization of how much she spends on clothing in a month. All of the sudden it is not such a bad idea.

So now the big question is...................Anyone know of a good inexpensive C4 in the St. Cloud/Twin cities area (Minnesota). So the hunt begins.

Thank You everyone,
Rob
you have got to be shiddin' me! You showed her this thread? I bet she was real tickled to see that her picture was posted in response to a trade up offer for a '94!!!.... Dude, it is time for you to reclaim the "pants" in your family... If my wife went out and spent a small fortune on cloths each year, I will 'pay it forward' and GIVE her to XFIRED, and he can keep his Vette. I'll even pay for the shipping costs!!

In fact, here's a picture of my wife looking tarty as ever.....someone...please take her off my hands:

Last edited by MikeC4; 05-08-2005 at 10:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:16 PM
chimknee
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '06

Funny in my case, me and the wife person have been maried for 31+ years. She knows I always wanted a 'vette, so when I turned 65 last October, she said "...how much longer are you gonna wait???..." She pushed me into finally buying the '96 LT1 in December. She also loves driving it herself.

Quick Reply: I need help........... with the wife!!! First Post