Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Do you get respect in your C4

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 12:23 PM
skysoldier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The stories they tell their friends, is a twisted version of the facts and usually starts with,ONCE UPON A TIME.
Old 12-18-2005, 12:28 PM
mseven
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also legal in the sense of firearms, however, if it becomes all of that, I would retire the vette, put sand bags in all the windows of the house, rebuild the yukon w/ kevlar etc. and play "wild west".
My thoughts are people do some ignorant things, I've personally experienced one real war in Nam don't want to live like that again.
Bottom line it doesn't have to get to that level. I agree things are different today, this mentality can be changed.
You mention Florida laws, I hope that idea is working as a deturant and not creating additional senseless violence (I believe Arizona has similar laws). I understand and agree with self defense and the right to bear arms.
Here in Mi. the laws regarding self defense, and in your own home are clear (and some of THE worst written). The victom of this crime, using deadly force is likely to be the one in trouble, not the criminal. To me that is when it is getting crazy, this isn't working either.....
Respect, depends ... Road rage, stupitidy, and ignorance, that's everwhere
JMO

Last edited by mseven; 12-18-2005 at 12:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:50 PM
AA2PR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AA2PR
Unfortunately road rage is a part of daily driving. And many seem to to take their attitudes with them when they get behind the wheel.We in Flordia see it often,people loosing their lifes on our highways because of this. It is a fact of life and in order to keep my safety intact(you can,t allways get away,i keep a licensed firearm with me when i am out in the car. I do not brandish nor intimidate if involved in an incident but i refuse to accept physical harm.If there is no way to leave the scene and i have to resort to violence it will be deadly. I don,t know what has happened in America with our drivivg habits but i do know the idillic scene in the old Chevrolet commercials going down the road singing hair blowing in the wind are gone. Nowdays its a direct demonstration of aggression and attitude when behind the wheel..Stay alert and stay alive.
Let me make myselfe perfectly clear.. No i do not carry around a carload of weapons (only when going to the range) . Secondly If cornered i can not run. Not that its against my better judgement,but i am a paraplegic and stand no chance against any ablebodied person. Third i refuse to be victimized under any circumstances.Also i am familiar with numbers on those who without proper training suffering injury and death because they simply do not know how to properly react, often with their own weapons. I do not fit that catagory. Not to mention our laws here have been ammended to include off private property. I rest my case.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:55 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
I believe that although there is no shortage of a-holes out there, that are some that simply resent us having a Vette and go out of their way to pimp us over. I know without a doubt that I've experienced it on numerous occasions.

I wouldn't have put it quite that way, but the perception of the expense of even our "lowly" C4s leads to this kind of behavior.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:06 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CEwGEARS
how are you supposed to behave yourself when somebody's significant female other is 'eyeballing' you from the passenger side? Hold up a card with your phone number?
That would be totally uncool.
You wait until SHE holds up a card with HER phone number on it.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 12-19-2005, 01:22 PM
5speedC4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Its because of the car. I get the same treatment too whenever I drive them, they either want to race or give you driving lessons.. 'Course when I'm in the worktruck or my battered old van it never happens, they stay clear. People...
happens every time i drive the vette....yesterday i had an old pickup truck get on my butt then we went around a corner and he ended up in the wrong lane trying to keep up.
when i first got the vette i didnt give them the satisfacton of a race but im quickly getting tired of the crap and look forward to waxing the next azzhole that wants to rub up against my rear bumper.
oh my......got to remember not to let anyone get hurt because i got pizzed of.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

do i get respect in my C4?

well how could i, its just a lowly L98.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:07 PM
mtsumedi
Instructor

I bought my car two Thursdays ago.

Incident 1:
A guy just comes into my lane. I slam on the brakes, divert to the right as much as I could (car in other lane), and blow the hell out of the horn. My targa was off so when we stopped at the light I threw my arms up like "what the hell are you doing." He threw his arms back up at me. Idiot in a minivan.

Incident 2:
Driving on the interstate, I was cruising at about 80 and in the left lane. There was a car in from of me a little ways up and I see a vehicle in the right lane with his blinker on. Decision: slow down and let him over or keep going my same speed and he can wait his turn. Well I decide to let him wait his turn since there is no point in me slowing down and haing to get back up to speed. As I am coming up next to him he jerks the wheel over as if he were going to come over real fast but not. I hit the brakes pretty hard and make him ride behind the other car for a couple of miles. It ended up being out of my way but I bet it ate his *** up.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:21 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Oh yeah, people drive completly different from when I'm in my truck or Vette. When stuck in traffic, people love to just push you over in the vette. They don't dare do that in my truck and it's no rust bucket. Every now and then some jerk makes a move around me and I'd just wish I'd been in the truck. I could have cop stopped a few dozen people by now.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,318 Likes on 757 Posts

I've had a different experience in the 9 months I've owned my Vette vs. many of the posts I've read here.

Really, the only thing I've noticed compared to my last car (RX7 Vert -- kinda fun but a real slug) is that I can blow by trouble, out-brake it or out turn it. So to me it seems like less than before, not more
Old 12-19-2005, 07:02 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default NO shame in avoiding trouble!

Originally Posted by Onyx C4
Really, the only thing I've noticed compared to my last car (RX7 Vert -- kinda fun but a real slug) is that I can blow by trouble, out-brake it or out turn it. So to me it seems like less than before, not more
I too have an arsenal at the house which seems to grow along with my collection of vette parts. I also have a CWP (Concealed Weapon Permit), however, I much much prefer "accident avoidance" techniques like those suggested by Onyx C4.

I am physically capable. In the past, I corrected another driver physically after he attacked me at a stop light. I won the boxing/Judo/ WWF bout but got drug through the court system by the loser. That, I will assure you, is a losing proposition. Especially in the pocketbook even if you win in court, as I did.

I hate to think what would have happened if I had pulled a weapon even if I was right. It would just ruin you if you were not 150% in the right!

Besides the other guy may be better armed, better trained and with more combat experience even if he drives a minivan. I know a local combat veteran, actually, he is still active duty at Ft Benning, GA. He is famous in military circles for his results in Iraq and Afghanistan. He has a short temper, a honda minivan and is usually well armed. Seriously, I think this guys has flash backs.

If the other guy or girls is having a bad day just get away, hit the off ramp! Your pride may get you stamped out!

On the other hand if you are 100% cornered. Shoot straight, but only as a last and I mean last resort!!!

Last edited by jakers; 12-19-2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:28 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
do i get respect in my C4?

well how could i, its just a lowly L98.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

oh you're silly
Old 12-19-2005, 08:44 PM
wake
Race Director

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid NC
I believe that although there is no shortage of a-holes out there, that are some that simply resent us having a Vette and go out of their way to pimp us over. I know without a doubt that I've experienced it on numerous occasions.
I only drive the Vette on weekends, I drive a Caddy the rest of the week... I get more crap from people on the roads in my Vette in the couple of days a month I drive it than the other 26-28 days a month I drive the Caddy...

Go figure...
Old 12-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by 96CEwGEARS
So....on the flip side, how are you supposed to behave yourself when somebody's significant female other is 'eyeballing' you from the passenger side? Hold up a card with your phone number?
Ya just give her a nice wink and a smile
Old 12-19-2005, 10:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by aboatguy
Right on cue
Old 12-19-2005, 10:20 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

I'd either get either respect or disrespect. If I'm threatened, I'll use this:

Yeah, its a .22, but 30-50 of them will get the job done!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Do you get respect in your C4

Old 12-19-2005, 10:58 PM
mtsumedi
Instructor

Nobody better **** me off....

Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by longhorn_C4
I experience more rude behavior from other folks when driving my C4 than when driving my Pontiac.

I think it's because you and aboutguy drive those crappy LT1s. I get treated like a visiting King in my L98.

Actually I think most of it is due to the car's size, and being black. I find that most people drive with tunnel vision, but my truck is a little more obvious to them. I've since learned I really need to go a little above and beyond just to keep others from crashing into me. Like on double turn lanes, merges, etc. If I don't act, they'll do something stupid (and be at fault) but I don't need the aggravation.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:34 PM
88C4VERT
Advanced

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
I never have experienced that in my C4.

In my Honda Civic Si hatch... I got all that and in spades from the Dodgem pickup aholes. Including one who while stopped at a light decided to make a right turn from the left lane right over my hood. I quickly backed up enough to not get hit. I had them deliberately try to run me off the road on multi lane interstates.

The Ford and Chevy truck owners don't act that way, just the collection of idiots who go for Dodges.
A bit uncalled for, perhaps?

Idiots drive everything, including Corvettes. I should know, I'm an idiot with both a Dodge pickup and a Corvette....

Seriously though, I sometimes feel like somebody painted a target on my Vette when I wasn't looking. In a world of soccer mom suvs and lifted trucks, the guy in the little Vette (or God forbid on a bike...) just isn't that noticeable. Especially while eating, talking on the phone, doing makeup, shaving, reading the paper....

I always make a point to check the mirrors twice when driving the Dodge

tom

Quick Reply: Do you get respect in your C4