Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

'86 windshield

Old 11-06-2006, 04:27 PM
rwolak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '86 windshield

Has anyone ever had the windshield replaced on a '86 coupe? I inadvertently left a tool at the base of the windshield while working on the car and when I closed the hood, it cracked the windshield. I contacted my local mobile windshield company and was told they would install the windshield for $288 + $200 for a moulding. I asked which moulding and it sounded like the windshield/A pillar weather strip. Is it required to remove the weather strip to replace the windshield? I understand from Corvette Central that the windshield is just layed in a sealed as any other unit.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's a pretty lengthy discussion on windshield replacements here. If you're having the glass professionally replaced, it's worth it to consider new seals, or at least check yours.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:59 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

"the moulding" could be the black metal trim on the outside or the weatherstrip. They were both an arm and a leg when i had my windshield replaced.
My glass installers book said that the weatherstrip and trim are to be replaced with the windshield. I have read here that some have got away with reusing one or both.
Glad i had good insurance

Get notified of new replies

To '86 windshield

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '86 windshield