Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why the C4 over the C5?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Strick
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I bet you can't change your clutch on your C5 in your garage. One reason I like the C4 is the fact that you can work on just about everything right in your own garage.

Next, Our C4 is not your father's Oldsmobile, but the C5 is closer to being one. With that said, I do wish I had the instrumentation of the C5 with the HUD. But I would not give up the feel of straping on the C4. I, too, love the lines of the 92-96 verts. Put some 11's on the back and that looks like muscle. Put a nice exhaust on it and that sounds like muscle. Do a little engine mod or two and it is muscle.

Yeah, I love the C4.
Old 04-16-2007, 03:35 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Strick
I bet you can't change your clutch on your C5 in your garage. One reason I like the C4 is the fact that you can work on just about everything right in your own garage.

Next, Our C4 is not your father's Oldsmobile, but the C5 is closer to being one. With that said, I do wish I had the instrumentation of the C5 with the HUD. But I would not give up the feel of straping on the C4. I, too, love the lines of the 92-96 verts. Put some 11's on the back and that looks like muscle. Put a nice exhaust on it and that sounds like muscle. Do a little engine mod or two and it is muscle.

Yeah, I love the C4.
Bet you can't beat an ls1 with an lt1. W/o mods of course. C4 does have a little more character (interior). But I bought it for performance. Hey, they get faster and better all the time. I am not found of how the c6 looks, but it is a better car than the c5. Evolution and progress are inevitable.

Don;t think I am knocking c4's. Bc I want one. 92-96. It'll be red too. Best lookin c4's are red IMO.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 675 Posts

Originally Posted by VetterGetIt
Bet you can't beat an ls1 with an lt1. W/o mods of course. C4 does have a little more character (interior). But I bought it for performance. Hey, they get faster and better all the time. I am not found of how the c6 looks, but it is a better car than the c5. Evolution and progress are inevitable.

Don;t think I am knocking c4's. Bc I want one. 92-96. It'll be red too. Best lookin c4's are red IMO.
I've beat a couple of LS1's with my LT1 I watched in horror as an 03 six speed vert was running 15.60's The first mod should be the driver.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:51 PM
0Tony Mamo @ AFR
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree this thread is like the blond versus brunette comparison in some respects....everything is a matter of personal taste.

I've always liked Corvette's and in some form or fashion knew someday I would own one, but never really lusted to own one till the C5 platform mainly due to the vast technical improvements that were made at the time....all aluminum engine (at a reasonable price), better weight distribution due to the rear mounted trans, less sqeaks and rattles from a stiffer frame (the first car to feature hydroformed frame rails), much lower C/D for higher top speed, roomier interior, etc., etc., etc......bascially all the things a hardcore ethusiast could ask for. But even with the release of the C5 it took till the year 2000 after they got rid of the butt ugly wagon wheels that it pushed me over the edge and I just had to have one. Of course the few years of seeing them on the road before that had me primed anyway. I agree with a few others that the front end of that design was a masterpiece (and yes....I have never been crazy about the rear but who's perfect?.....LOL).

And regarding those who say its to refined or civil, you need to go for a ride in a properly modded version....its a whole different experience.

I have friends with modded C4's (some of them extremely well done) and I love them too, but for me the allure of the C5 was mainly technology driven and IMO the C6 is more of a C5 1/2 but that was smart because GM hit a homerun with the C5 and not changing it a whole lot was a good move IMO....and as others have mentioned, the C6 takes the refinement up another notch as technology marches foward but it doesn't have enough going for it to consider ditching the C5 I have been improving every aspect of pretty much since the day I drove it home from Bowling Green.

Bottom line, any year Vette is a great enthusiast car to own, and the choice of which is right for you probably lies in a combination of aesthetics and function. While a 60's vintage well done C2 with the stinger hood is one of the sexiest Vettes on the road, I would never own one unless I just had enough money to start my collection of automobliles and was OK with just cruising it because I demand more from every other aspect the car couldn't deliver on (ride quality, handling, braking, wind noise, etc. etc.). But alot more people would turn their heads at that C2 pulling in the lot than my current C5 (now matter how much more I might be making for RWHP) and once again, that is a big driving factor (how much attention it draws) that means more to some than others.

OK...I'm done....just own a Vette (and preferably mod it and personalize it) and be happy!

Tony M.

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 04-16-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:50 PM
johnnylondon
Instructor

when i started looking for a corvette i wanted a c3 for the body shape but after trying a c4 then a c5 settled on the c4, for me the c3 handling was a bit dissapointing the c5 was way better but a little too refined don`t get me wrong the c5 performance was great but it lacked that raw edge seat of the pants feel that the c4 has, then it took me 18 months to find a good one (i`m in England so they`re thin on the ground).

Got to say i couldn`t be happier,every time i drive it i feel like a kid doing something he shouldn`t

Eddie
Old 04-17-2007, 04:17 AM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetterGetIt
Yes, the c5 is the first vette redesigned from the ground up. New EVERYTHING.
Including door handles from the Olds Aurora.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:53 AM
Djpunteney
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brian9
The C4 would be the better choice by far because they make better body kits for it and its way easier to install neon on!

If you want neon and body kits might I suggest you do it to a Honda. No one really cares if you ruin one of those.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 AM
SSquid
Advanced

Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 PM
VetterGetIt
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Including door handles from the Olds Aurora.

No doubt there are some GM parts passed around (exhaust on caddies and c5's is very similar, the radio and a/c controls may be the same on some other cars, and the column stalks too I believe), and the c4 definately has the c5 beat in that area. I love the older techno-style stuff. Fighter jet cockpit. The c5 is an all-around performer, with reliability, style, class, and PERFORMANCE. Plus I love the body-style of the c5 the most. Yes, I know it resembles and rx-7 or a probe, but they aren't near as wide and flat (like a cobra's head if you look straight on), and the *** is just as big as it would be on an Italian supercar, which I like alot.

I still want to get a 92-96 red/black. That would be awesome.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:24 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

getting in and out of a jet fighter **** pit can be quite annoying especially if you fly every day . This topic has been beat to death IMO. How about "Why C4 over Mustang GT" or "Subaru WRX vs. C4." Seems like there is suppose to be some kind of C4 and C5 rivalry in this forum.

I'd rather have the roomy C5 cabin just because my car is a DD...and it also helps that it's faster. Then again if I had an F1 car I wouldn't care about being comfortable...I here it's a pain to get in and out of those things as well.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:50 PM
The Saint
Team Owner

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redcorvette96
Why the C4 over the C5?
Why either one?
Old 04-18-2007, 03:54 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Saint
Why either one?
Old 04-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Tigerhawk
Le Mans Master

The C4 looks better than the C5.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:45 PM
newyiddy20
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tigerhawk
could be true
Old 04-18-2007, 09:49 PM
ssmitty
Cruising

What I like better about the C4? I OWN it and I didn't have to break the bank to get it.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:57 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I Love The Older Corvettes.........

and when I bought my first back in 1999; I did so mainly to fit my budget. I wound up with a highly optioned car with clear and fiberglass top panels, chrome factory wheels, and almost every power option they put in Corvettes that year. It was a nice car and won me more than a few trophies at shows - even though we drove the car often - even in the rain. I learned how to detail cars and also realized I could also do many of the minor mechanical repirs myself.
So when it came time to sell the car and get something newer; I was drawn to the later model C4s. I now have a torch red 1995 Coupe that runs great and gets great mileage on trips. I also enjoy working on that car; and just installed a new front spoiler and passenger side vanity mirror. In addition, I was also able to realize my long held wish to own a C2 Stingray Convertible a few months ago.
I belong to a large Corvette club - with over 200 members; and when I take my cars to the shows the number of C4s is dwindling to about 15-20; and the C2 is one of maybe a half dozen in the club. Lots of C5s and C6s. Lots of people still look at the C4 and always the C2 - which is rare as it has many options including both the hard and soft tops and original factory AC. Also, it is a rally red car with a red interior - which is somewhat uncommon in C2s. I am hoping to enjoy
both of these cars for many years. Best of all, both will likely rise in
value in the years ahead!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:15 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 550 Likes on 291 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

OK, I think most of the bases have been covered, but here's my take. When I decided to buy another Corvette (had a 64 coupe 30+ years ago), I couldn't afford a C5 (would have loved to have one), so I did the best I could (for the money I had available) and bought my 94. Now that I have, I wouldn't move up to a C5, if it was a matter of selling the 94, in addition to, yes, but not in place of. Actually now that I have a C4, I'd really rather step up to a ZR1.

Get notified of new replies

To Why the C4 over the C5?

Old 04-18-2007, 10:16 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerhawk View Post
Originally Posted by newyiddy20
could be true
absolutely not. a c4 has no right even being near a c5
Old 04-18-2007, 10:26 PM
drippingwithgold
Racer

Because I paid cash! and insurance is a lot less expensive on a 87 and down from Hagerty. A lot cheaper for insurance.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:42 AM
Champion
4th Gear

The C4 feels like a knife cutting through the road. Its clean and slick. The C5 and C6 just feel heavy to me. My friends are Corvette owners and they are really the ones who convinced me to get one. When I pulled up in my C4 the first thing out of their mouth was where did you get this? This is the car I always wanted. It just gives me an emotional response when I see it. Its not something that I get from later models.

Quick Reply: Why the C4 over the C5?