Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I need a list of things to check before I buy...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:03 AM
tdellaringa
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a list of things to check before I buy...

Hi folks,

I was told in another thread that "as long as the usual suspects" have been taken care of, etc etc. I would really like a list of things that I need to ask about that are those "usual suspects." I believe one of them is the Opti(sp?) ignition? Anyway, if you could all help me compile such a list I'd be grateful.

My target car is 91-94.

Thanks

Tom
Old 05-11-2007, 08:56 AM
DaleD
Drifting

Originally Posted by tdellaringa
Hi folks,

I was told in another thread that "as long as the usual suspects" have been taken care of, etc etc. I would really like a list of things that I need to ask about that are those "usual suspects." I believe one of them is the Opti(sp?) ignition? Anyway, if you could all help me compile such a list I'd be grateful.

My target car is 91-94.

Thanks

Tom

Search for buyer's guide. There are 2 very good ones. One written by Andy Bogus, (it was way better than the "Corvette expert" I wasted money on to look at my car).
http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...981&cardist=25

The other is from Corvette Action Center:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/buying.html

On the test drive, drive it hard. Stab the brakes, accelerate hard. Look for hesitation, seems to be not uncommon. Drive it in OD and make sure it handles that. I've read where the OD isn't robust and shows problems at around 40mph. Petek can tell you all about this. Something else I missed, look for little things you don't normally look at on cars. Small fit things, screws missing here and there, cracked trim, etc. All things that aren't deal breakers, but can be negotiating tools. I'd also look at the spot where it was sitting when I move it, look for leaks.

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 AM
tdellaringa
Pro

Ok, I just realized I have the Andy Bogus checklist, I am printing that out now. Should I consider that a complete list?
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 AM
DaleD
Drifting

Ok, I just realized I have the Andy Bogus checklist, I am printing that out now. Should I consider that a complete list?
Are you trying to get me in trouble with Andy?! He's been known to be protective of his work.

I'd say yes, and no. How's that? I think you could use Andy's list and do very well. There's a lot of work in that document. But, I'd also consider some of the things I mentioned, read the posts here. The things you see as common problems, incorporate checks for those things into your search.
I paid a guy recommended by a forum member to look at my car. The guy screwed me. He looked at it and said, yep, it's a nice car. I mean that, he LOOKED. Lots of little stuff he could have helped me with if he had actually inspected the car.
I also used Andy's list. The dealer thought I was crazy going through this stuff, (bring someone to help). But, it was totally worth it.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:35 AM
tdellaringa
Pro

Ok that makes sense. I do wonder though - how many car owners are going to be happy about you rolling a jack under their car and jacking it up? There's a lot of stuff on that list I probably don't know what it is or where it is, so I probably will need some help when the time comes. But I am definitely not jacking up someone else's vette
Old 05-11-2007, 10:03 AM
DaleD
Drifting

Ok that makes sense. I do wonder though - how many car owners are going to be happy about you rolling a jack under their car and jacking it up? There's a lot of stuff on that list I probably don't know what it is or where it is, so I probably will need some help when the time comes. But I am definitely not jacking up someone else's vette
Well, there are options. You can take it to someone with a lift, with the owner's approval. Or, it's possible the owner would put it up for you, (not likely).

As with most things, you have to tailor it to fit your needs.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:37 AM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You should have it checked by someone qualified
People here on the forum go with other forum members all the time to check out cars
Old 05-11-2007, 11:28 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had this list on file. I'm not sure where I got it, I didn't create it so I'm not taking credit for it.

-Look for floppy interior door panels when you shut the door. That's an expensive fix.
-Put your hand in and feel all around the floorboard carpet. You're looking for dampness, which is bad.

-Look at the outer window seal weatherstripping. They crack after a while, and they're $60 each, and a pain in the butt to replace.

-Look for abraded fiberglass on the underside rim edges of the hood, that's where a poorly-adjusted hood is wearing itself away on the bolt heads.

-Look for floppy ears on the sun visors. That's a nuisance.

-Look for missing ashtray and coin cup inserts in the console. Look for missing lighter. Look for missing top ratchet wrench in the console.

-Look for the lug nut wrench behind the driver's seat. Look for evidence that it's been used.

-Look for shiny spots in the black 'rubberized' interior trim.

-Look for abraded leather seat bolsters and sill carpeting.

-Especially watch for worn-out carpet over the footwell speakers. This is critical, because foot-dragging in and out of the car wears them out, and they are no longer available from ANYONE. Grrr...

-Look for chunks missing out of the windshield weatherstripping. Examine the windshield seal at the very base of the windshield on the INSIDE of the car. It gets cracked and crappy.

-Look at the frame directly behind the driver's front wheel. This is directly under the battery tray, and C4s tend to rust here first, if at all. Ask to take the gill panel off if they'll let you, you'll need a 10mm wrench and a Torx set.

-Get in the car and sit in both seats, and operate ALL of the seat controls several times.

-Look in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat and check to make sure the package tray is in there.

-Check the color and condition of as many fluids as you can get to - PS, oil, tranny, coolant.

-Lie on your back and look over at the rocker panels. They get sandblasted over the years, and look worse on dark-painted cars.

-Check the parking brake for good operation. Check the hood release.

-Check the RPO codes to make sure that the car isn't missing something that should be there. Specifically, "C2L", which means that it should have BOTH tops, because it came that way.

-Run the A/C and the Heater, make sure you get both, especially with the C68 electronic climate control.

-Look for a floppy tilt steering wheel. Put the wheel down in driving position, then try to flex it downward. If it moves more than a smidge, it's going to be a problem sooner or later.

-Look around all the interior trim, A-pillars, halo trim, etc. for missing screws.

Check exhaust system for nicks and/or missing hangers(why are they missing?)

-Pull out the seat bottoms and look for anything under the seats(ie cut wires,food etc).

-check the locks in the console and hatch compartments, make sure the key you have works in those locks.

-if equipped with PKE, check all operations of it

-look for the jack, later C4's have it in the passenger side compartment in the hatch, earlier ones, in a bag within the spare tire

-check rear tire tread, low or no tread means the previous owner drove it properly.

-check wheel orientation, make sure right rear is on the right rear etc, if unsure, pull the wheel off(early C4's had the location stamped on the inside).

-make sure you have two lefts and two rights(wheels)

-check tire orientation, make sure they are rotating in proper direction.

Power seats - do they work?
Power mirrors - do they work?
Power antenna - does it work?
Look for oil leaks around the valve cover gaskets

Check the Air filter element and the casing for it

See if that optional $895 Bose stereo works and all speakers are working properly.
- Try the key in both door locks to make sure the lock is working properly.
- Make sure the digital dash is working properly, try all of the gauge readings by using the switches (i.e. temp/voltage, mileage instant/mileage avg., etc).
- Check to see if the headliner is intact and not starting to sag.
- Check the popup headlights a few times to make sure the gears are working and not sticking.

Check condition of serpentine belt.
Check condition of hoses.
Look for leak on rear diff.
Check play on all 4 wheels for possible hub bearing failure.
Check condition of glass top if equipped. Look for cracks or peeling in clear coat.

check intake manifolds. oil leaks for all years, coolant for L98s.

- oil on the oil pan. could mean a front main or bad pan gasket.

- belt tensioners

- on 1992-93e, the belt is 2 sided, make sure it is good shape, and buy 2 when you order!

- rear window defroster. that is an annoying thing at times.

Check the DIC for proper lights with ignition is in the on position (Batt, SES, etc.). Check that ABS is active at 3mph. Pull codes to see what is in the history.

- make sure if its a 4+3 that the OD works correctly
-check the suspension for signs of wear
-make sure winsheild wipers and switch work in all speeds
-check for al interior screws

-Check for back Glass fit.

Check to make sure the stupid electronic climate control actually works, and doesn't have a mind of its own!
_______
Old 05-11-2007, 11:32 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find the car you like and take to a Corvette shop or Cheby dealer and have it inspected. As far as a check lists goes you can check list an old to death and not buy it.

Any old Corvette is going to be a piggy bank........its the nature of the game.
I've owned ten of them and only 1 had a problem.
My check list is the price and condition of the car. If you show up at a sellers house with a 2 page check list he'll think you're nuts.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
tdellaringa
Pro

Thanks for the list jrzvette

Originally Posted by 94ZR1
You should have it checked by someone qualified
People here on the forum go with other forum members all the time to check out cars
I'm going to post about that right now.

Get notified of new replies

To I need a list of things to check before I buy...

Quick Reply: I need a list of things to check before I buy...