C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Imagine THIS behind you

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 399 Posts

Default Imagine THIS behind you

saw this at a local Corvette meet this year. i'm a cop and we don't even get these wonderful toys! the erie county sheriff's dept. confinscated it from a large drug raid/bust and i though it would be cool to share:

Old 01-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

seized from a drug dealer -
Old 01-05-2010, 07:02 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

This is pretty sad misdirection of law. If they seized an airplane or 70 ft yacht does the sheriff get it or does it get sold off to have the money put in public coffers to offset the cost of police protection? If they find 100k in cash does the sheriff get that? They have one where I live as well and equally serves no purpose here either. I can not fathom how displaying seized property actually affects anything other than to show if you are a drug dealer you can afford the toys seized. I am a firm believer in law and order good police protection but this is no more than a taxpayer expense for something useless to the people that use it. The average person with average intelligence could slash millions from town budgets and affect at the most 1 in a million people.. i know this is not the place for this no doubt but this car is in no way cool, it is a waste of time and effort at best.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

lighten up francis!
Old 01-05-2010, 07:39 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 841 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Dave

Cool pic. I like it. Im putting it on my desktop for a few days.

Corvette Mike

Thank you for your service protecting us all.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 953 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Very cool! If I saw that chasing me I would be a bit afraid!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:15 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you got stopped with this car don't even try to talk yourself out of a ticket. I am sure with the effort it takes to get out of a C4 especially with ticket book in hand you not about to get a warning.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
jon0108
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joe C

lighten up francis!

This falls under public/community relations aspect of law enforcement. Its the same as when a cop dresses up as that big dog and goes to schools to tell kids to stay off drugs.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,016 Likes on 2,534 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I'm fine with that. If the Sheriff himself used the car as his personal vehicle to cruise and autocross I'd feel differently, but it didn't cost them anything out of pocket to get it and it's good PR. If it helps one young kid see the "good guys" in a more positive light it could save having to arrest that kid down the road. And it sends the message that you can lose your toys, no matter how nice, if you make the wrong choices.

I'd give it
Old 01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by Railroadman
I'm fine with that. If the Sheriff himself used the car as his personal vehicle to cruise and autocross I'd feel differently, but it didn't cost them anything out of pocket to get it and it's good PR. If it helps one young kid see the "good guys" in a more positive light it could save having to arrest that kid down the road. And it sends the message that you can lose your toys, no matter how nice, if you make the wrong choices.

I'd give it
Very cool! Most police/sherif departments have a PR budget they have to spend. Looks like they used part of theirs in a very cool way!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:38 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
This is pretty sad misdirection of law. If they seized an airplane or 70 ft yacht does the sheriff get it or does it get sold off to have the money put in public coffers to offset the cost of police protection? If they find 100k in cash does the sheriff get that? They have one where I live as well and equally serves no purpose here either. I can not fathom how displaying seized property actually affects anything other than to show if you are a drug dealer you can afford the toys seized. I am a firm believer in law and order good police protection but this is no more than a taxpayer expense for something useless to the people that use it. The average person with average intelligence could slash millions from town budgets and affect at the most 1 in a million people.. i know this is not the place for this no doubt but this car is in no way cool, it is a waste of time and effort at best.
well, its not a misdirection of law. when drug money is seized it goes to the department that seized it. in our department, the money is used to purchase equipment for our officers and our police cars or station. the vehicles we seize are either sold to fund our departmental needs or are used by our department as undercover vehicles or put in service like the C4 you see above. we aquired a ford F-150 a couple years back from an ovi arrest. we now use it as a patrol vehicle as is a 4x4 and we get a lot of snow. it cost us paint, light bar, radio, and m-16 mount. the C4 used by ECSO is used for parades and shows as a display vehicle promoting the consequences of drug use and sales. it shows what you can lose if you are a drug dealer or user. the cost of the car is near nothing. all the ECSO did was slap some decals and a used light bar and radio on it.

if the average person could slash millions from budgets we'd have them in poffice don't you think? our mayor wanted to cut our budget and that would effect many officer's jobs including mine. this did not happen because we have a chief and a community that values its police dept.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ps374
If you got stopped with this car don't even try to talk yourself out of a ticket. I am sure with the effort it takes to get out of a C4 especially with ticket book in hand you not about to get a warning.
you're not kidding, lol. i can barely fit in my 84 with my duty belt on..its an exercise even when i'm off duty. but thats part of the C4 and i love it
Old 01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

Neat car! I like the shameless advertising put on it too- that probably helps with the maintainance costs!

Last edited by MidShark; 01-05-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Epimax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Sweet!!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:52 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Railroadman

I'd give it

A car like that will draw attention to the younger ones and hopefully the DARE message and the overall PR will linger in the childrens heads as "cops are cool" instead of the negative.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
ks5shooter
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13

Old 01-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by MidShark
Neat car! I like the shameless advertising put on it too- that probably helps with the maintainance costs!
- most of these drug seized vehicles have local business donate time and materials, or a little cash in exchange for a little advertising - nascar does it all the time. it's really a community effort thing. years ago, i somewhat remember the bowling green police seized drug car going thru the factory for a rolling restoration. i'm guessing it was donations of time and material.

Last edited by Joe C; 01-05-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Imagine THIS behind you

Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

i'll get some pics of our ovi seized F-150 today and post them up.. it may be a little snow covered though
Old 01-05-2010, 09:21 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C

lighten up francis!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:25 AM
olcrusty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boy would I like to have that. I would drive it up and down Hwy 95 just beLow DC all day long just to have the bastards slow down. The troopers here in Virginia think unmarked cars is the waY to control speeders when in reality one SEEN rig with markings and a light bar does more than any unmarked squad car. Put some of us civilians in fake patrol cars just to have presence to the public if for no other reason than they will see a patrol car in the rear view mirror and perhaps they slow down.

Here in my neck of the woods we have two unmarked Camaros that patrol Hwy 234 between HWY 95 and Manasas and they need to be marked for better effect instead of being sneaky Petes. I would rather they slow down all cars with their presence than just pick out a few people that pass the mass. Just my opinion.

OLcrusty said that _________

Quick Reply: Imagine THIS behind you