C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Detergent Oils??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Wathen1955
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshwilson3
Any idea why the head gaskets needed to be replaced so soon on that car?
Yeah come to find out the Chevy small block had an issue with the gasket being really thin in that area according to the mechanic. Since the second one crapped out again and I did not want to deal with the car again, I simply sold it as is. Could have been a different gasket material compared to the original that came with the car.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:58 PM
mcnulty95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oschlomer
I have used SEAFOAM as a gas additive on all my vehicles and my boat and it works great. Are you saying that it can be used in the crankcase as well? If so how much?
Yup. You can use the whole can. With the engine running, I suck it in through the brake booster hose. Do it SLOWLY, if you try to do it to fast you'll hear the engine bog down and you don't want it to hydro lock. I put the hose by the can opening and tilt the can slowly letting the hose suck a little at a time. Once the can is empty, shut the engine off for about 10 minutes and then start it up. You should see smoke coming out the exhaust. How much will depend on how dirty thing were.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why if it's not broke don't dump trany fluid,or anything else in the car
Old 01-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Steve20
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OLD CRUSTY DUDE

From Texaco Express Lube
http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm

Myth #12 - Adding a quart of ATF the day before an oil change will clean your engine. ATF added to the motor oil will clean the engine due to the high levels of detergent in ATF.
Fact: ATF does not contain detergent chemistry. ATF does contain dispersants, which have properties similar to detergents. But ATF is not formulated to withstand the combustion environment inside the engine. Havoline recommends that you keep the fluids where they belong: motor oil in the crankcase, and automatic transmission fluid in the transmission.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:51 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnulty95
Yup. You can use the whole can. With the engine running, I suck it in through the brake booster hose. Do it SLOWLY, if you try to do it to fast you'll hear the engine bog down and you don't want it to hydro lock. I put the hose by the can opening and tilt the can slowly letting the hose suck a little at a time. Once the can is empty, shut the engine off for about 10 minutes and then start it up. You should see smoke coming out the exhaust. How much will depend on how dirty thing were.
What I've read over the years is at the end of the can you dump it in fast to kill the engine. But it may be best if you do it, to just dump it in slow. Then go an turn the car off.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:46 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by tblt44

Why if it's not broke don't dump trany fluid,or anything else in the car

Quick Reply: Detergent Oils??