Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by Riks40th
I don't know where to get this, just a pic I found years ago.

Rik
wow, that looks homemade but, its a great idea and would allow you guys to go out as a family.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

We have our first child on the way and not a day goes by at work without trade the Vette for a minivan jokes. I'm glad to also have a DD. However, without airbags a cruise every so often after the child meets the forward facing requirement will be fine. I just took my 2 year old nephew to his first car show in my '89 vert. It was an evening of firsts for him:
First car show
First time in a Vette
First time in a convertible
and First time in the front beside the driver

The car seat fit fine and I found a use for the cinch button.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,802 Likes on 667 Posts

First off congrats on the new lil one on the way Which car can you simply NOT live without? The vette or the TA? IMO since you're obviously a car guy I'd sell the TA and get a more family friendly 4 door. TA's are great cars but as we all know they weren't made in bowling green I've seen prices for very clean pontiac bonnevilles that sound very reasonable and they make great family cars plus with that 3800 they seem to run forever.

astepup said that
Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 AM
McGirk94LT1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a boy who was 7 months on the 13th. I actually started a post about this exact topic about a month ago. I was lucky enough to snag my grandparents 95 cutlass they were selling for next to nothing. However i have found that, as you probably will too, when your out or coming home from work or whatever its depressing having the fun car sitting at home. Im strongly debating selling both and gettin a sporty 4 seater which turns out, they dont make much of those. Fortunatly you have somethin like that already in the firebird. I would love to switch to a WS6 LS1 trans am(though i never want to get of my vette in the first place except for another) but the cheapness of materials in it kinda throws me off. Im strongly debating on this...

[IMG][/IMG]

With some simple appearance mods they look ten times better stock, and if you get an ls2 they run decievingly good from the factory. If you havent looked at ones color matched interior well... you should. If it wasnt for that, the trans am would easily be my number 1 replacement choice but as an overall package, GTO's are a great deal really. I think ima give it till this winter to really make my choice.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 AM
90EXPVette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it, I thought the same thing six years ago and still have my C4 my son loves going for rides in the Vette. You already something with a backseat, just quiet it down if necessary and enjoy!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:28 AM
earthquake68
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with most everybody. You can pick up a decent four door cheap and keep both cars. Just don't get like me and end up with five cars.

one daily driver
one cruiser ('Vette)
one for four wheelin'
one for drag racing
one for the whole family to go to the car show.

upkeep gets pricey. (so does insurance, tags, fuel, etc.)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Rik
Where do they put their feet?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:54 PM
96polovette
Drifting

I kept my C4 and my son is now 3. My reasoning: Now that I have to pay for daycare, family health insurance, diapers, more food, save for college, etc. I will not have the spare money to buy another corvette likely until he is out of college. Generally the most affordable corvette is the one you already own. I don't get to drive it as much as I used to but I still enjoy taking it out for short weekend trips and driving it to work occasionally. I do have a second car for him, if I could only afford to own one car the corvette would have to go. I've heard so many people sell their nice sports cars to "upgrade" to minivans or SUVs when they start a family. Then at some point they end up regretting it.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM
96polovette
Drifting

Rik
I would not use something like this for a young child, it does not have a shoulder belt or any head support to prevent whiplash injury. Plus if it is screwed into the fiberglass, it is likely to come loose in the event of a serious accident.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:58 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by McGirk94LT1
[IMG][/IMG]

and if you get an ls2 they run decievingly good from the factory.
The LS1 cars weren't too bad either. They are easily mid 13 second cars despite the total lack of grip on the stock tires. With a tune and a decent intake you are only barely off of the numbers of a stock LS2 car and to the point where the difference is negligable on a street. Or you can buy an 04 with the LS1, do some relatively easy work switching it over to LS6 heads, etc and call it a day. Just a personal opinion in liking the LS6 better than the LS2 even though the numbers are very close.

I absolutely loved my red/red GTO. I think it is very close to... if not the best interior ever put in an American sports car.

The biggest reason to go with the 05+ LS2 cars over the 04 LS1 is the improved brakes. I actually prefered the subtle look of the exhaust that exited on the same side in the 04 cars over the exaggerated 05+.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 PM
1963SS
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That rear car seat in the above pic might be OK. It looks like there's a solid something running from frame rail to frame rail. (Notice the raised carpet?) If that's a piece of metal and it's bolted down then the mounting should at least be solid. Now....maybe that racing seat is just a car seat holder. It only has one belt. Insert baby in car seat and insert car seat into car seat holder. That may be OK.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Texas Stinger
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha yeah that is a cute pic which I will have to show my girlfriend. I didn't know about the law with the no backseat clause. What is the policy on older cars that don't have seatbelts with kids? I love my Vettes, but I think by the time I have kids maybe I can have a sublime green Charger Daytona as my family cruiser.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Rich Silvestris
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Forget the car seat! What about the pack'n'play and all the rest? Dump one of your hotrods and get a family car for the family. Keep one hotrod (the C4 of course), if you can, and use it for your solo travels. Do everything you can to keep HER on board with the decision, in fact get her to think it's HER decision. When she's home with the little one, all the neighborhood mommies are going to fill her head with how a Corvette (or a TA for that matter) is a single man's car and she can't trust you to behave yourself as long as you have it. Good luck, brother!
Old 09-27-2010, 07:32 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

It may be the best if the child was in the rear seat but I do not know how anystate can mandate that. There are millions of P/U's sold everyday that do not have rear seats. now foward facing is realisit you should be able to do a foward faceing seat in your vett. I do not know the law in your state just has me wondering and it is something you may want to look into.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:04 PM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Keep the Vette!!
Old 09-27-2010, 09:30 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 96polovette
I would not use something like this for a young child, it does not have a shoulder belt or any head support to prevent whiplash injury. Plus if it is screwed into the fiberglass, it is likely to come loose in the event of a serious accident.
Neat idea but dangerous. Not to mention sunlight, god forbid you were reareneded. Conversation starter for sure though.

Quick Reply: Baby car seat. Good bye to my C4?????