Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flickering Interior Lights & "Door Ajar" indicaor

Hi folks, here's my issue:

91 Converitble, 106,000km

My interior lights are flickering on and off, and the "Door Ajar" dash indicator flickers as well:

When Im at highway speed, if i hit rough road/bumps - just the "Door Ajar" seems to come on

When im at slower speeds, hit a bump, uneven ground, rounding a corner, or transitioning from the flat sidewalk to my uphill driveway (body flex?) the interior lights come on. they go off again when the car is back on flat ground.

from reading other threads here, I suspect a door switch (would cause both symptoms), but i still have 3 questions:

1) Can the Door Switches be shimmed ? ie i suspect if a small amount of flex in the body is causing it a shim may solve the issue. I cannot see and flex inthe door fitment when i look.

2) where can I buy a "Quality" replacement switch in Canada

3) could it be something else ?

thanks !
Old 08-30-2011, 08:59 AM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low taillight fluid. Time for a trade in.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:28 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Originally Posted by dukeallen
Low taillight fluid. Time for a trade in.
Nope, Just topped it up, all good on that front
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

The switches can be adjusted. If you look at the end of the plunger of each switch where it contacts the body, there is a round head. Pry/pull that out with a small flat blade screwdriver. When you close the door for the first time, it'll push that pin back in to the correct length.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM
navy_vette
Burning Brakes

I had this issue with my 91 too. There is some sort of sensor on the door. On the door itself, it looks just like an aluminum half hook. It fits into an "O" shaped sensor on the door frame. It wasn't making good contact or something along those lines. I got some Isopropyl alcahol and some pipe cleaners. Cleared right up.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:25 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Your Lucky Day

I have the answer. Send me $100 in small bills.

Same EXACT symptoms had me replacing both door switches. That was a pain and cost $. Nope.

Your door latch post thingy is loose on one of the doors frames, probably drivers. It takes a big torx but I used a vice grip.

Let us know if I'm right. I drink Bud if you can't send money.

It drove me berzerk for a week. Ruined the car. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Many thanks guys, will have alook when I get back home tonight see if I can see the problem.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:48 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Checked those metal hooks, all are tight, cleaned both the hooks and recievers with Isoprop Alcohol, no difference. Ill play with the plungers for the lights next.

Now my Battery is dying too, car barely started this am probably need a boost to start it tongiht when I get off the train. First attempt at startig it last night and this morning it really laboured to make any turn of the engine, second try it started just fine.

Ill have to get the alternator and the battery checked out too
Old 09-01-2011, 07:04 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Originally Posted by tlong
I have the answer. Send me $100 in small bills.

Same EXACT symptoms had me replacing both door switches. That was a pain and cost $. Nope.

Your door latch post thingy is loose on one of the doors frames, probably drivers. It takes a big torx but I used a vice grip.

Let us know if I'm right. I drink Bud if you can't send money.

It drove me berzerk for a week. Ruined the car. Good luck.
Hmm, maybe I missunderstood this tip. I assume the latch post you mentioned and the metal hook/sensor were the same thing. Ill go back and look see if there is another latch thing that's loose. Didn't look beyond the silver hook last night.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:46 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
The switches can be adjusted. If you look at the end of the plunger of each switch where it contacts the body, there is a round head. Pry/pull that out with a small flat blade screwdriver. When you close the door for the first time, it'll push that pin back in to the correct length.
Definitly the place to start.
Also add a little lubrication to the part of switch that moves in and out, not the adjustment button part.

Check the door seals (rubber around door) for excess play. Might be the door could be going in and out slightly.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:39 PM
tlong
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I wasn't clear. Check the striker, the thing that sticks out of the frame that the hook in the door closes on. It screws in. Mine was loose causing the door to move enough to jiggle the plunger switch activating lights and door ajar light, your same problem.

The switches are self adjusting. Pull the little piece out and the next time the door closes it's adjusted. But I bet it's one of the strikers.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM
DaveT91
Instructor

Well, all the door hardware and switches looked ok. Problem persisted until.... I investigated the cause of my difficulty starting the car sometimes. Turns out I had a loose battery terminal wire. Snugged it up and my starting issues are gone as are my issues with the Door Ajar and flickewring lights ....odd
Old 09-07-2011, 01:59 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Low voltage makes these computer filled cars do all kinds of spooky stuff. My airbag light started coming on in my wifes car. Battery was going soft. New batt = no more problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Flickering Interior Lights & "Door Ajar" indicaor

Quick Reply: Flickering Interior Lights & "Door Ajar" indicaor