PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Betty Boop has been a daily driver now for 8 weeks.

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
So, I'm asking: Do you use your C4 as your daily driver, or more as a hobby, race car, or toy?
Jim G
Money would change the answer to your question. Some owners' Vettes are strictly for racing, others garage queeners (toy/hobby), and others it is their only car.

Last edited by PLRX; 07-12-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:36 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
i think the 94 makes a GREAT daily driver and i usually see between 17 and 19 mpg in the city and between 20 and 24 mpg on the highway. not bad for a car capable of 160 mph plus!
I agree, but to put into prespective the massive improvements in engine efficiency and fuel consumption over the past few years:

The 2011 Mustang with VVT 3.7 liter V6 with 6-speed that my wife and I owned for a couple of years til just recently made 305 hp (same as our LT1 C4s), weighed about the same despite being a 2+2 seater, delivered 22 mpg in suburban driving, and actually beat its EPA highway rating of 31 MPG by hitting 33 MPG regularly at 60 to 65 cruising in Texas Hill Country (lots of rolling hills). It made a great daily driver, but had handling and low end torque inferior to that of the C4 (depsite the C4's age!) and none of the charm of the C4.

Of course, the Mustang also had a warranty and no Optispark . . .

Jim G
Old 07-12-2013, 12:45 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My "91" Vette is my daily driver and performs excellent in any weather condition!...

No Water leaks and AC and Heater work Great!...

132k and going strong!...
Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM
laurieb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive my 85 to work about a few times per week, and my 95 once or twice a week to work. I have a third non-C4 vehicle that often gets driven to work once a week, as well. On weekends, both C4s get driven. My husband is retired, but usually drives whichever C4 I leave at home that day. So, they both get driven very regularly. We live in a climate that allows all-year driving without much concern. I particularly enjoy the handling and the torque at the low end offered by the C4s.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 PM
MZee
Instructor

The C4 is amazingly capable in winter weather.

When I owned my 6-speed 1995 convertible in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1996 through 1998, it was my only car. I commuted 40 x 2 = 80 miles per day in it, every weekday. Often that meant:

- minus 20 to minus 30 degree weather (heater worked fine despite it being a convertible, and it always started imemdiately, even after siitng in my employer's outdoor parking lot in minus 30 weather with up to 30 to 40 mph winds)

- Driving to work or home in freshly falling snow, with some blizzards delivering 12 inches or more of snow (wide performance tires and all)

- Driving on glare ice (wide performance tires and all) at 40 mph on the freeway

There were numerous time I had to literally dig it out of freshly fallen snow at 5pm in the employee parking lot.

I got a lot of incredulous looks from other drivers on those kinds of days.

I never once actually spun out or slid. Mind you, having been born and raised in Canada, I learned early that when you drive in the winter, you imagine there to be eggs on each of the accelerator and brake pedals, and you must not break the eggshells.

The traction control system did activate once, on a curved freeway on-ramp on a cold icy morning in the dark. Since I had never before felt that accelerator pedal "kickback", it took me a second or two to realize what had occurred. The car did not waver from its course.

In Minneapolis, winter is half the year, so I put on a ton of miles in winter conditions over 2 1/2 years or so.

It was experiences like that that reinforced in me the notion that a C4 is a pretty special car, and that's why I bought this second C4 two decades later.

Jim G
Well, I am from Canada and used to drive Mustang GT's not my Cobra in winter .no snows, but it would be a shame to subject that nice machine that has never seen winter or much rain.Good for you to drive in that, it confirms you actually know how to properly drive a car.
Mzee
Old 07-12-2013, 01:19 PM
vl5150
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by laurieb
I drive my 85 to work about a few times per week, and my 95 once or twice a week to work. I have a third non-C4 vehicle that often gets driven to work once a week, as well. On weekends, both C4s get driven. My husband is retired, but usually drives whichever C4 I leave at home that day. So, they both get driven very regularly. We live in a climate that allows all-year driving without much concern. I particularly enjoy the handling and the torque at the low end offered by the C4s.
I like this strategy. Just get enough of them to spread out the wear and tear. If I had the garage space and no kids, that would be my plan too.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:33 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is now a dd, the old dd bit the dust with worn valve lifters.

What was a weekend resto project with no a/c no heat and no stereo yet, has it's limits of enjoyment in the brutal humid heat but,

The good thing about this is that i can work out all the bugs that crop up, so the more i drive it the more things that go wrong that need attention can be taken care of right away.

I really think it shines as long haul gt car, the idea of having to run errands getting in and out every 15 mins around town puts too much wear and tear on your kidney's getting in and out of it
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
getting in and out every 15 mins around town puts too much wear and tear on your kidney's getting in and out of it
Excellent point! And, you have to remember to NOT use the tilt steering wheel as support getting in or out, and to tell any service people the same thing, since using it as a support WILL eventually cause it to need a new u-joint!

Jim G
Old 07-12-2013, 02:41 PM
pavlova1000
Heel & Toe

Daily driver. I just park in the back of the lot, with a curb on the passenger side , and in the shade whenever possible. Never park in the middle of a parking lot. Other car in the lot backing out of spaces flat don't see them.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by pavlova1000
Daily driver. I just park in the back of the lot, with a curb on the passenger side , and in the shade whenever possible. Never park in the middle of a parking lot. Other car in the lot backing out of spaces flat don't see them.
We think alike!

Be ESPECIALLY careful to avoid parking near a pizza joint. Lots of customers coming in and out, and those delivery drivers are brutal.

Jim G
Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

We think alike!

Be ESPECIALLY careful to avoid parking near a pizza joint. Lots of customers coming in and out, and those delivery drivers are brutal.

Jim G
WOW !! so very true !!, i literally hate to park it anywhere locally, yeah she's not a trailer queen but still !! just the thought of it getting more chips in the ever so flawed paint makes me cringe !! LOL
Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Excellent point! And, you have to remember to NOT use the tilt steering wheel as support getting in or out, and to tell any service people the same thing, since using it as a support WILL eventually cause it to need a new u-joint!

Jim G
HA HA HA guess what? the previous owner thought it was a monkey bar set at a playground and yes it DOES NEED a u-joint oh what fun it is to restore this apple of gm's eye !! funny though how i never use it as leverage to get in and out, the side bolster on the badly worn seat though needs serious attention !!!
Old 07-12-2013, 03:14 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

The C4 is amazingly capable in winter weather.

When I owned my 6-speed 1995 convertible in Minneapolis, Minnesota, from 1996 through 1998, it was my only car. I commuted 40 x 2 = 80 miles per day in it, every weekday. Often that meant:

- minus 20 to minus 30 degree weather (heater worked fine despite it being a convertible, and it always started imemdiately, even after siitng in my employer's outdoor parking lot in minus 30 weather with up to 30 to 40 mph winds)

- Driving to work or home in freshly falling snow, with some blizzards delivering 12 inches or more of snow (wide performance tires and all)

- Driving on glare ice (wide performance tires and all) at 40 mph on the freeway

There were numerous time I had to literally dig it out of freshly fallen snow at 5pm in the employee parking lot.

I got a lot of incredulous looks from other drivers on those kinds of days.

I never once actually spun out or slid. Mind you, having been born and raised in Canada, I learned early that when you drive in the winter, you imagine there to be eggs on each of the accelerator and brake pedals, and you must not break the eggshells.

The traction control system did activate once, on a curved freeway on-ramp on a cold icy morning in the dark. Since I had never before felt that accelerator pedal "kickback", it took me a second or two to realize what had occurred. The car did not waver from its course.

In Minneapolis, winter is half the year, so I put on a ton of miles in winter conditions over 2 1/2 years or so.

It was experiences like that that reinforced in me the notion that a C4 is a pretty special car, and that's why I bought this second C4 two decades later.

Jim G
I have almost the same experiences. I had a 50 mile each way commute for 100 miles per day. I bought an '88 A4 with a 2.59 axle as a daily driver. It was great. I put about 50k on it in just over 2 years winter and all. I sold it to get my '94 6m because I wanted a manual transmission. I put about 50k on it in just over 2 years also.

They both made the drive a lot more fun. I chose them because they both got about 30 mpg on the highway and I wanted a fun "economy" car.

I can also see the other side. I have had an '85 as a weekend or pleasure car that doesn't get near as much driving.

Between the two, I have had a lot more fun with the ones I drive all the time.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:30 PM
camario
Intermediate

I have a 1989 that I've had for a year. Drive it any chance I can. I avoid rain and snow since I have another car for that. Very reliable .
Old 07-12-2013, 03:40 PM
JimGnitecki
Racer

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
funny though how i never use it as leverage to get in and out, the side bolster on the badly worn seat though needs serious attention !!!
For a daily driver, I have concldued that getting in or out requires TWO precautions to prevent damage to the carpeted sill and to minimize wear to the bolster:

1. Install sill plates

2. Getting in: sit down into the seat with your legs outside the car, and avoiding the bolster when sitting down, then swing legs in over the sill. Getting out: Swing legs out over the sill and feet onto the ground, then hoist yourself out withOUT using the steering wheel or pressuring the bolster, but OK to raise yourself by putiing left hand onto the sill.

Jim G
Old 07-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

JimGnitecki stated it very well on page 1.

My 95 Was my year round daily driver for 6 years and was my only vehicle. Now the C5 is my daily driver and the C4 comes out on the weekends when it's time for fun
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 233 Likes on 165 Posts

Yes.

Get notified of new replies

To Is your C4 your daily driver?

Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM
84VetteMan205hp
Pro

got my 84 3 years ago and been driving it everyday ever since
Old 07-12-2013, 04:49 PM
dukeallen
Melting Slicks

It was originally going to be a weekend toy with my stang as DD, but I tend to drive the vette more often lately. Like others posters have said, how else can you enjoy it?
Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
eastcobbdude
Intermediate

My '94 coupe is my daily driver also, although I don't commute anymore. I've had it one year next month, and put 15k on it. I had to drive from Atlanta to Orlando recently and was going to take my wife's Lexus, but enjoy driving the Vette so much more I took it. I figured it would be an adventure. I had a great trip! Never missed a beat!

The opti quit a month or so later...., in my garage! Is this a great car or what!

Quick Reply: Is your C4 your daily driver?