C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A/C blowing through defroster

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Corvette 1993
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C blowing through defroster

Hi everyone. New member. Let's see how this works. My A/C blows cold and hard. The only problem is it blows out the defroster for a full 2 minutes before blowing out the dash vent. I tried the easy stuff first, changing the vacuum lines and check valve, but no success. Any ideas? It's a 1993 corvette standard.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette 1993
Hi everyone. New member. Let's see how this works. My A/C blows cold and hard. The only problem is it blows out the defroster for a full 2 minutes before blowing out the dash vent. I tried the easy stuff first, changing the vacuum lines and check valve, but no success. Any ideas? It's a 1993 corvette standard.
The problem is with the AC programmer above the gas pedal on the firewall.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Corvette 1993
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
The problem is with the AC programmer above the gas pedal on the firewall.
Thanks man, I would like to investigate that. Would you have any description of what I am looking for, or maybe a YouTube video or pic somewhere?
Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

I had to fix mine also. There was a post a couple of years ago that had a great write up and photos. I searched my old stuff but I couldn't find the name of the guy that posted it. Hope somebody else here can direct you to it.
The controller is about the size of a wallet and is up under the dash kind of above the brake pedal. That's what you need to remove and work on out of the car. I had to remove the driver seat and put a blanket on the floor so I could lay on my back with my feet on the cargo area. The little box has a vacuum plug on one corner that leads to a set of solenoids inside that redirect vacuum to different hoses on that plug. that plug has soft rubber tips that collapse or split and leak air so it doesn't get the vacuum to the air direct doors for heat & vents. I cut those rubber hoses off and glued in some tiny brass tubes I got from a hobby supply. You could also probably use pieces of plastic tubing that come on spray cans like brake cleaner. There isn't any air flow there, it only has to pull a little vacuum on a diaphram for each door to direct the air. When all vacuum is off or lost, the default position for the doors is defrost. If there is a leak, that's why it always starts out on defrost and takes so long for the air to finally come out of the dash, if it ever does.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:53 PM
Corvette 1993
Heel & Toe

Default A/C vent problem

Originally Posted by Klondike
I had to fix mine also. There was a post a couple of years ago that had a great write up and photos. I searched my old stuff but I couldn't find the name of the guy that posted it. Hope somebody else here can direct you to it.
The controller is about the size of a wallet and is up under the dash kind of above the brake pedal. That's what you need to remove and work on out of the car. I had to remove the driver seat and put a blanket on the floor so I could lay on my back with my feet on the cargo area. The little box has a vacuum plug on one corner that leads to a set of solenoids inside that redirect vacuum to different hoses on that plug. that plug has soft rubber tips that collapse or split and leak air so it doesn't get the vacuum to the air direct doors for heat & vents. I cut those rubber hoses off and glued in some tiny brass tubes I got from a hobby supply. You could also probably use pieces of plastic tubing that come on spray cans like brake cleaner. There isn't any air flow there, it only has to pull a little vacuum on a diaphram for each door to direct the air. When all vacuum is off or lost, the default position for the doors is defrost. If there is a leak, that's why it always starts out on defrost and takes so long for the air to finally come out of the dash, if it ever does.
Thanks for the detailed information. It was a great help. I actually found a picture diagram, and will jump on that right away. I will post wether or not I am successful.
Thanks again.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Corvette 1993
Heel & Toe

How hard is it to install a new vacuum harness on a a/c programmer for a 1993 corvette? Can you reach everything without pulling the dash pad?

Get notified of new replies

To A/C blowing through defroster

Quick Reply: A/C blowing through defroster