Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Finally Bought a Vette...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 04:21 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You are most def correct.. I have a lot to learn. I probably wouldn't try for any other car but my Vette! As soon as I get it home..... soon..... I hope lol
Old 04-19-2017, 04:31 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Best advice I can give:
1. Be patient
2. Don't be afraid to ask members here questions, or better yet join your local Vette Club...those dudes looove to help out guys with their cars.
3. Get a good set of tools
4. Do tons of research before doing anything...a terrible problem can be solved with maybe just one cheap sensor.
5. Did I mention be patient...as most everything under the hood is tight quarters (get a magnetic tool retrieval tool lol, you'll need it). It took me about an hour to change 7 spark plugs...and about 6 hours to change the last one.
6. Polish it up and admire.

Last edited by vette-rageous; 04-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:39 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Also, let's see a pic if you have one.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:00 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I took this one in my work parking lot before it started acting up. The hatch glass has some peeling window tint that's coming off asap. Paint isn't perfect and I believe it's a repaint. There's drippage on the passenger side view mirror. Doesn't bother me really.

Name:  giCyzu7.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  658.2 KB
The following users liked this post:
vette-rageous (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 05:06 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

I'm oddly attracted to the color
Old 04-19-2017, 05:15 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Go to any auto parts store and buy a code reader. Just one example. Many to chose from

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...er/273348_0_0/

Last edited by FASTAZU; 04-19-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:21 PM
vette-rageous
Advanced

Originally Posted by We Gone
Go to any auto parts store and buy a code reader. Just one example. Many to chose from

http://www.autozone.com/test-scan-an...er/273348_0_0/
Is this the one that blinks codes?

I took it one step further...bought a 12 pin aldl cord with a USB connection for my laptop...will download ProTune program to get real time data. The stupid cord was 60 bucks.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:53 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

White wasn't necessarily the color I thought I'd get. I've owned 4 cars in my life so far, and 3 of the 4 were white. Ah well. Doesn't fade!

I will be buying one of those code readers so that I can do more of my own diagnostics in the future.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:12 PM
Sid.123
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hi

hi from the uk...
i also have an 86... and one thing you won't need is any diagnostic equipment...as said before a paper clip to get the blink codes is all you need if the check engine soon light comes on.
hopefully they will get it sorted soon.
the mid 80's c4 corvette is not the most sort after model but still a great car to drive.. mine gets looks where ever it goes.
ill follow this post with interest
Old 04-19-2017, 08:25 PM
1800Wing
Flatulent Dwarf
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
White wasn't necessarily the color I thought I'd get. I've owned 4 cars in my life so far, and 3 of the 4 were white. Ah well. Doesn't fade!

I will be buying one of those code readers so that I can do more of my own diagnostics in the future.
Welcome to the asylum, from the gist of your posts here I take it you' re not a "gearhead" ? ....not trying to be a smartaxe or beat up on ya.

later, tiny
Old 04-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Photoguy000
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I also concur, you won't need heavy diagnostic equipment. Paperclip will show you the codes and I can show you how to do it if you like (being local and all).

Also, I too love the color combo!

(you can't tell from the tint but my interior is RED also)
The following users liked this post:
1993C4LT1 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

@1800Wing I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one on TV. You are correct, I barely know how to correctly check an oil dipstick. I have a lot to learn.

@vette-rageous @Photoguy000 love the pics of both of yours! Looking clean and classy.
The following 2 users liked this post by corvette_realtor:
Photoguy000 (04-20-2017), vette-rageous (04-20-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 10:44 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

To the OP. Don't get too discouraged. Looks to be a nice example of an early C4. With the L98 motor it should be reasonably easy to get sorted out. The L98 is just a Chevy small block with a fancy intake and fuel system, tune port injection, TPI. I think they are a great motor combination.

I suspect what you have is a fuel delivery issue. Probably a flaky fuel pump. The fuel pump/fuel gauge sender is fairly easy to replace thru the fuel fill opening. I'd also recommend changing the fuel filter. The fuel filer is more of a PITA as it is located just behind the right front wheel, adjacent to the frame. Ask your dealer to try these things as the parts are not that expensive and see what happens. Good luck and don't give up yet.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm trying to remain patient. I only had my car for 6 hours and then it's back at the dealer (who seems to be in no hurry to help fix it). I need to spend more time with my Vette!!

I also suspect fuel delivery issues are part of the stalling problem. I feel like it's got to be an easy fix... it is a strong-running car aside from this problem. To me, it's dangerous to drive this thing if it's stalling 2-3 times in a row, so that helps me stay patient and focused on the end result.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:50 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette_realtor
Thank you for the encouragement. I'm trying to remain patient. I only had my car for 6 hours and then it's back at the dealer (who seems to be in no hurry to help fix it). I need to spend more time with my Vette!!

I also suspect fuel delivery issues are part of the stalling problem. I feel like it's got to be an easy fix... it is a strong-running car aside from this problem. To me, it's dangerous to drive this thing if it's stalling 2-3 times in a row, so that helps me stay patient and focused on the end result.
Has the dealer tech managed to retrieve the code that triggered the CEL or are they just standing around scratching their head?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:01 AM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16

Just a guess but in older in tank fuel systems on Corvettes, I've seen the rubber line that connects the pump to the fuel line in the tank swell or split over time. The car will idle and drive fine until it needs more fuel than will starve and stall. They need to check the fuel pressure among other things.

If the car is now yours your best bet may be get it home and find someone to help you troubleshoot things. Until than everything is just a guess.

Good Luck.

Last edited by FASTAZU; 04-20-2017 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

no one mentioned the coil. The 86 is a type 1 OBD while later vettes are a type 2 OBD. The code readers do NOT swap with each other.BTW, took my 86 to the drag strip yesterday ( Indy) and made 3 runs, all at 14.3 seconds, around 97 mph give or take 1 mph.. install an emergency hood opener cable on both sides. If your hood cables break b4 you do, I have the tool hanging on the wall to open a stuck hood. If you don't live far from Indy/Avon/Brownsburg area, come on over and we will open that baby. Again,,, BTW, the fuel pump on your 86 is the easiest In Tank Fuel Pump I have ever replaced. You don't even have to drop the tank.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 04-20-2017 at 08:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally Bought a Vette...

Old 04-20-2017, 10:54 AM
James84vette
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the new Vette.

I had somewhat of the same issue a couple weeks ago. My fuel pump sock had fallen off and my pump was clogged. Cleaned it up put the sock back on and it's running well now.

I had changed out my fuel pump last summer. It's an easy job and not too expensive. Hopefully the issue gets solved soon.

Last edited by James84vette; 04-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

OP, I had another thought this AM. Your symptoms might also be attributed to a failing Ignition Control Module (ICM) in the distributor. When heat builds up under the distributor cap the module fails and no spark. With the temp drops the module often comes back to life, sometimes only marginally as driving makes it heat up again.

Might explain why you were able to drive around for a while as it took that long to get the ICM hot enough to fail. Your dealer was able to drive around for a few minutes as the module had cooled overnight and the dealer drive time wasn't long enough to build heat.

I admit I'm wild a** guessing here, but I do have some experience, at least in my on mind, lol. Anyway here is link that talks about testing the ICM:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4....ed-icm-tests-2
Old 04-20-2017, 12:46 PM
corvette_realtor
Instructor

I really appreciate the replies. The dealer wants to test fuel pressure when the car stalls, because otherwise the readouts on it are fine. They haven't been able to successfully replicate a stall long enough to test the pressure. They did check fuel filter. So fuel system may be ok..

They just took the car to a Chevy dealership this afternoon, since they do not seem to know enough about this car. The dealer I bought from -that was working on it prior- did not seem receptive to me giving tips, ideas, info, anything. They said they never heard of using a paperclip to test the codes. They just wanted to keep replicating a stall and said their tests could take 2 weeks to a month to get it figured out..

I will keep the ICM idea in mind. If they replaced the spark plugs, wiring, and distributor cap, do you think the ICM could still be affected and causing the trouble? The car does only fail after it has been "hot" for long enough.

For now I'm waiting to see what Chevy says.

Last edited by corvette_realtor; 04-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Finally Bought a Vette...