C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

expedia

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 12:54 PM
Bagpype
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Would the few bucks they make with his patronage really do much in the long run when other customers start doing the same thing? Say they play "one off the other", now what? I have worked in retail and seen customers run across the street and say "Your competitor said he'd knock $50 off. Got a better offer?" then take that offer to the other guy and so on and so forth. What happens when I book on 3 sites and wait till the last second to "snipe" the best offer and dump the other 2?
My point exactly!
Old 05-17-2017, 01:25 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
DO NOT ever do business with this company. I had to cancel my reservations in Bowling Green for the C4 Gathering w/30 hrs notice and I got charged anyway, they don't do refunds for cancellations.

So now I'm out $582 for nothing, more than enough to pay for the repairs that caused the cancelations. I am so tired of getting screwed by big companies, and just try to talk to a live person. Pass the word and get this criminal enterprise shut down.

Rick
Well that truly sucks, Rick. About what sounds like car trouble AND the lost deposit. On what I assume was an otherwise nice trip. At least the weather has cooperated.

It took me since September to get the nerve for a drive to Asheville After all the work I did on Lucy.

We get accustomed to signing these unilateral boilerplate contracts. I blame software license agreements. What choice, right?

Definitely a good heads up to those who, for whatever reason, might not have noticed all the trip wires in advance.

Rant on brother! Hope you got home with your vette okay.

I can make you feel better. But I'll make it a PM. Not vette related.

All the best!
George
Old 05-17-2017, 01:48 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,948 Posts

Originally Posted by confab
Most companies are concerned about future patronage and try to do something to accommodate people in situations like this. Surprised they did not, but that's the way it is. Their rules. Period.

Ideally, I do think they would refund some portion just to avoid situations like this. Some percentage, even if it is small. Say, half? That would avoid the "shopping" situation you describe.

But Expedia will pay a price also.

I worked in retail for a while too, managing stores across three states. We couldn't always accommodate a customer's wishes, but their continued patronage was important to us so we made an effort when it was possible to do so. Right or wrong it is an expectation people have and we didn't want to lose a customer unnecessarily.
I think, and I might be wrong but their BUSINESS MODEL revolves around competing to be the lowest price first.

Not that much. He is small potatoes and that is being generous. Look at the way things are. People shop price not "They screwed my so and so ACCORDING TO HIM.".

Sure, we have to try to a point but 30 hours isn't really going to cut it. I mean, if you say 72 hours and he did it with 71, you can say they could bend a little. This is asking them to take it in the shorts. All said, once or twice we had to "walk" the customer. In my own business, I have done the same when the customer becomes unreasonable or asks for things that are going to cross the business model more than they are worth. For a $100K client, I would probably bend a little more than a $100 client.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Renfield
We get accustomed to signing these unilateral boilerplate contracts. I blame software license agreements. What choice, right?
He had a choice to book it himself instead of saving a few bucks. He wanted to save a few bucks and didn't want the restrictions. Sorry, I want to pay Yugo prices for a brand new Rolls Royce
Old 05-17-2017, 02:08 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Rick, I understand your frustration and we appreciate the warning. However you have to take it easy on the forum. I've had nothing but courtesy and helpful information from the forum. On the one hand I want to say "oh poor buy, let mommy kiss the boo-boo and make it better, that big old company is bad, bad bad" on another I want to say "yes indeed big companies are a bear to deal with but I guess that's how they get to be big in a harsh business", and then there is the side of me that says "consider it an expensive lesson in life", and thanks for spreading your news. All I can ask is that you get over it, have a beer and go for a drive. And come-on back. We will miss you.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:14 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I won't use Expedia either.

In my case, I went to Mayo clinic for about a week. It turned out Mayo finished up with my stuff a couple days early.

When we went to leave, they could not cancel the last two days and refund money. Expedia said the hotel chain had the money, and the hotel chain said Expedia had the money.

It is particularly frustrating because there was a multi state boys baseball tournament in town. Every hotel was completely booked and they were turning away people. They still would not let us out and be still be able to rent the room.

Finally, we gave up. We had the time so we stayed the last two days and made it a "vacation" of sorts. I'll be damned if they were going to steal the money and then rent the room again so they collect twice.

I also read the terms. There are statements about cancelling before arrival and no shows, but I could not find anything about a change after checking in and staying for several days.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 73n95
On the one hand I want to say "oh poor buy, let mommy kiss the boo-boo and make it better, that big old company is bad, bad bad"

on another I want to say "yes indeed big companies are a bear to deal with but I guess that's how they get to be big in a harsh business",

and then there is the side of me that says "consider it an expensive lesson in life", and thanks for spreading your news.

All I can ask is that you get over it, have a beer and go for a drive. And come-on back. We will miss you.
Never had that urge. People get lured in with low prices and either don't or don't want to understand that some inconveniences will be associated with it. To which I say, "Tough.".

You don't get rich by tossing money away. You toss money away and make a huge show to buy more customers so you can make more money. Sure, Bill Gates gives money away. Or does he want to buy a different product? Immortality, perhaps? OTOH, look at Microsoft's practices.

Based on what I see of people, they don't learn or learn fast. I mean, we see people lose money all day long but there is no shortage of a sucker at Vegas thinking they have a system. When they are finally forced to stop, there will be a next sucker to replace the past one.

I'm sure he will be back if the Mountain Run people whom he likes are here. He'd need someone to cry to that will go "Atta Boy" or "The man is putting me down".
Old 05-17-2017, 02:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QCVette
When we went to leave, they could not cancel the last two days and refund money. Expedia said the hotel chain had the money, and the hotel chain said Expedia had the money.

It is particularly frustrating because there was a multi state boys baseball tournament in town. Every hotel was completely booked and they were turning away people. They still would not let us out and be still be able to rent the room.

Finally, we gave up. We had the time so we stayed the last two days and made it a "vacation" of sorts. I'll be damned if they were going to steal the money and then rent the room again so they collect twice.

I also read the terms. There are statements about cancelling before arrival and no shows, but I could not find anything about a change after checking in and staying for several days.
Wait. You signed an agreement, wanted to change your end of it and expect that the other side must do so just because it is in your benefit? What if they decided not to honor their end of the agreement and toss you out because someone would pay more? How good would that be for you? I'm guessing "not so good" since breaking of the agreement wasn't in your favor today.

It's called policy. It means we follow a certain path. It doesn't mean I have to suffer any inconvenience because of your change of plans if I don't choose to do so. If I do, good for you. If not, again, we had an agreement.

Steal? You signed an agreement. Just because you failed to live up to your end doesn't mean others have to bend over backwards. Again, they can if they want but if they insist on their "pound of flesh", don't call them names and get pissed.

So it's a push. Again, it doesn't mean we both have to go through paperwork and spend time on refunds because your plans change. If I owe you $500, you can choose to forgive the loan or take me to court. I can't call you dishonest because you chose a more inconvenient to me action.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:18 PM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

This thread is like watching a train wreck. No one really cares any more but we can't leave it alone. We are all smart people, right? We know by now that there "ain't no free lunch", right? Everything comes at a price. Even "lowest price" comes at a price. That price is limited flexibility. If we haven't learned this by now its time we learned. I will continue to use Expedia, Canoe and whatever travel planner offers the lowest price. I will read the fine print. Thanks for the heads up Rick. PS, is anyone following the foolishness with commercial airlines? It doesn't seem to matter which one you pick, they are all jerks. And they call it "customer service".
Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Not sure why this thread is in the C4 section anyway. It is about Expedia and the pros/cons of bargain travel. It is not about the Bowling Green C4 gathering.
The following users liked this post:
rocco16 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 73n95
We are all smart people, right?

We know by now that there "ain't no free lunch", right? Everything comes at a price. Even "lowest price" comes at a price. That price is limited flexibility. If we haven't learned this by now its time we learned.

Thanks for the heads up Rick.

PS, is anyone following the foolishness with commercial airlines? It doesn't seem to matter which one you pick, they are all jerks. And they call it "customer service".
So was J Marshal Howard. Ever heard of him?

I think the problem is we are like the idiots at Vegas who think they have a system and end up penniless and broke.

What heads up was that?

Which one? That United one where the doctor who lost his license to practice got tossed BY AIRPORT SECURITY? Sorry, you do something stupid on my property, I call the cops and you get hurt, go find the cops and not me. Before you call the airline jerks, are you sure that the customers were not jerks themselves? Or am I a jerk because I don't accept that "customer service" means saying "YES" to whatever the customer demands, reasonable or unreasonable?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:33 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DGXR
Not sure why this thread is in the C4 section anyway. It is about Expedia and the pros/cons of bargain travel. It is not about the Bowling Green C4 gathering.
It might be reflective of how we, as a people seem to think that there is a free lunch. If so, I want my car to be fast, cheap and reliable and with fries too.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Wait. You signed an agreement, wanted to change your end of it and expect that the other side must do so just because it is in your benefit? What if they decided not to honor their end of the agreement and toss you out because someone would pay more? How good would that be for you? I'm guessing "not so good" since breaking of the agreement wasn't in your favor today.

It's called policy. It means we follow a certain path. It doesn't mean I have to suffer any inconvenience because of your change of plans if I don't choose to do so. If I do, good for you. If not, again, we had an agreement.

Steal? You signed an agreement. Just because you failed to live up to your end doesn't mean others have to bend over backwards. Again, they can if they want but if they insist on their "pound of flesh", don't call them names and get pissed.

So it's a push. Again, it doesn't mean we both have to go through paperwork and spend time on refunds because your plans change. If I owe you $500, you can choose to forgive the loan or take me to court. I can't call you dishonest because you chose a more inconvenient to me action.
Thanks for your thoughts, but did you read that I checked the terms and conditions and they did not have anything about checking out early?

In my case, all parties (the hotel chain, Expedia, and me) agreed that I could get a refund, but no one would do it since both said the other one had the money. Their policy would allow a refund.

The hotel chain further commented that they would make more if they rented the room during an event. So they stood to make more money by refunding mine also, but still could not do it.

This was a couple years ago through AARP links. I checked today and the Expedia links have a different terms and conditions than AARP did then.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:03 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

UNREAL.....I keep getting emails about responses....and they are for this ridiculous thread (31 replies)

I have a serious issue with my vette and I appreciate the 6 responses I received, but this is a forum for vettes and I find this thread at the top of the page and my thread has practically fallen off the front page....isn't there an off topic forum for this dribble?

Sorry, but this thread/argument is just tedious
Old 05-17-2017, 05:54 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by shootnstarz
I'm glad the folks on the Mountain Run are not like ya'll, they actually try to help but all this forum does it tear people down. What a bunch of ******** !!!!

Rick Hogue

Maybe you should get them to pass the hat around. They might be willing to cover your expenses. Since they are great guys.
The following users liked this post:
Ahnenerbe (05-18-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR

Move this to CFOT and let the fun begin. The OP is not coming back anyway.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:18 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by QCVette
Thanks for your thoughts, but did you read that I checked the terms and conditions and they did not have anything about checking out early?

In my case, all parties (the hotel chain, Expedia, and me) agreed that I could get a refund, but no one would do it since both said the other one had the money. Their policy would allow a refund.

The hotel chain further commented that they would make more if they rented the room during an event. So they stood to make more money by refunding mine also, but still could not do it.
I did. Like I said, it's a push. I didn't forbid or agree to it and you didn't ask. I have had cases like that and in my book, we follow the original agreement.

I understand your case. Still sounds like a case of "Go ask your mother. Go ask your father.". They are not talking to each other basically. Incompetence? Possibly. Poor communication? Sure. Stealing, nope.

Get notified of new replies

To expedia

Old 05-17-2017, 08:19 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vette196
UNREAL.....I keep getting emails about responses....and they are for this ridiculous thread (31 replies)

I have a serious issue with my vette and I appreciate the 6 responses I received, but this is a forum for vettes and I find this thread at the top of the page and my thread has practically fallen off the front page....isn't there an off topic forum for this dribble?

Sorry, but this thread/argument is just tedious
Change your subscription to this thread in the email. You can cancel all notifications or this one. Your profile is set to give you a notification to all subscribed threads and any thread you reply to is automatically in your notification list.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Maybe you should get them to pass the hat around. They might be willing to cover your expenses. Since they are great guys.
I'll start with my $0.02 so the pot doesn't look empty. It's early in the year but might as well build up credits for X'mas.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:22 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Patsgarage

Move this to CFOT and let the fun begin. The OP is not coming back anyway.
If he does, he does. Most of the people I have seen throw a tantrum, swear they are gone and notify everyone on the forums, disappear for a bit and come back.

Quick Reply: expedia