C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hard Top Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
OK. I give up. That pic has to be an aftermarket thing right? I don't remember ever seeing a corvette with a trunk. Or is it photo shopped???

that's a rare C4.5, there were only Two built, and GM crushed one !
So there is one out there running around?? Sounds like "Bigfoot" to me.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:08 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
I took the pic of the car. It was at Bloomington Gold the first year that they held it at the University of Illinois. The Mid America folks were in the process of setting things up and there was no one around that knew anything about it.
I found out later on Facebook that it was a test mule that Chevrolet used in preparation of building the C5 convertible. I did not know that there were 2 of them built though.
It sure caught my eye!
Old 12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
Mid America Motorworks
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 151 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 1984Z51auto
That's because it's not quite "running around", you can find it here at the MY Garage Museum on our campus!

Check it out!

http://mygaragemuseum.com/corvetteEx...wHeader?KC=849

This link will take you to the exhibit listings, click on "Browse Exhibit List" at the top and you'll see it!

-Nick
Attached Images  

Mid America Motorworks
454 Big Block Dr
Effingham, IL 62401
www.mamotorworks.com
(800) 500-1500

Family Owned Since 1974!

Old 12-21-2015, 07:19 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid America Motorworks
That's because it's not quite "running around", you can find it here at the MY Garage Museum on our campus! Check it out! http://mygaragemuseum.com/corvetteEx...wHeader?KC=849 This link will take you to the exhibit listings, click on "Browse Exhibit List" at the top and you'll see it! -Nick
That was quite enjoyable and informative. Very nice site.
The following users liked this post:
Mid America Motorworks (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Weck86
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
Note that the factory convertible hardtop will not work on 86-88 convertibles.
I should probably pm you, but what is the problem on the 86-88 verts? I have an 86 so curious. I assume it has to do with the brackets at the B pillar. I had a C3 (69) and the hardtop just fastened at the windshield header and the rear deck. Glad it doesn't get that cold in TX or I might be PO'd. LOL
Old 12-21-2015, 09:32 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The early C4's didn't have any provision for attaching the lock pillar brackets simply because a hardtop was not available. IIRC, the early C4 B-pillar was open so in order to mount the hardtop brackets, metal plates had to be welded in to provide a mounting point. I also think that some company made a kit to weld in.

The hardtop lock pillar brackets also have a tab at the bottom so each bracket was bolted in at 3 points; two bolts horizontally and one bolt vertical (see #6 in the pics I posted).

Also, there were differences in the windshield header brackets; there were 3 designs and even the '86 'verts had two versions. In '89, the header brackets changed again.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:29 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Fortunately, I have a 91 so I knew the pillar brackets would work on my car theoretically. However, I got to do the installation today so I can verify that it does work in real life. The top had all the hardware necessary including the lugs with studs that fit into the rear sockets where the rear rag top fittings go. The lugs require a little persuading so they will slip by the spring loaded pincher type connections. Then a long skinny screw runs through the stud to a threaded hole to lock the lugs in place. After you place the top, the rear corners are held down on their brackets by a large washer and nut.

After installing the lugs I put the three Torx screws in each bracket on the B pillar. One bracket was stamped LH and the other was not stamped (?). Go figure. We placed the top on the car and I started the wind shield header Torx screws (same as coupe) and then added the two screws per side on the B pillar brackets. Then I tightened the front screws first and the B pillar screws (all five per side). We checked the windows for fit and actually got it right the first time. It is pretty symmetrical, that is, the windows seem to fit about the same on both sides. Glad for that. Was not looking forward taking off the door panels to adjust the windows. Unfortunately, there was some edge damage on the back of the top. The vendor is going to have that repaired for me but that will require me to transport the top back and forth. Oh well.

The top is gold as can be. In the artificial light it really looked a much more muted tan. Too bad. It really is gold so I can't say it's a good color fit but the top to body fit is perfect. It looks really good. I'm sure it's going to get a color change though. I drove on the freeway and it was like driving in my DD. I went over to Scottsdale with top down and returned with a hard top. I can see why people like them. Once the body work is done, I will be matching the top color to the body paint, either white or some variety of pearl but not very bold like a show car paint.

The install was pretty easy after looking at the pics of the installation info above. The A pillar screws do not require a special wrench or tool. I used the same Torx tool on it as on the screws on the B pillar. The long rear screw for capturing lug is 8mm and the nut which holds the rear top corners is ~7/8 (didn't have mm that large). The whole process is easier than I thought so it was about 20 to 25 minutes for the first time. It would go much quicker next time. I still think I would need help lifting not because of the weight but the awkward size, arm spread to hold it, etc. I think it could be done by one person with padding placed on the car and working the top from the rear forward until articulating with the wind shield. Just not the best way IMO.

Pics to follow.

Thank you,

WEK.

Last edited by skullandbones; 12-22-2015 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:46 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

Originally Posted by Weck86
I should probably pm you, but what is the problem on the 86-88 verts? I have an 86 so curious. I assume it has to do with the brackets at the B pillar. I had a C3 (69) and the hardtop just fastened at the windshield header and the rear deck. Glad it doesn't get that cold in TX or I might be PO'd. LOL
I had to purchase the parts from a C4 wrecking yard in IL. I had to replace the windshield header hardware to that of the later C4s, the plastic piece between them and the rear deck mounting hardware. I had a set of large L brackets made where the bottom of the L bolted to the upper seat belt stanchion and the upper part of the L bolted to the top's internal rectangular roll bar. And of course I messed up and drilled the holes incorrectly and had to redrill them
OEM brackets:

My custom L bracket bolted to the seatbelt stanchion and to the roll bar:

Old 12-22-2015, 12:48 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII

When the convertible hardtop is attached you lose all the storage space behind the seats.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 AM
skullandbones
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteronw
When the convertible hardtop is attached you lose all the storage space behind the seats.
True if you mean an object like suit case or the like. You can't open the hatch but you can access the small compartments on either side and slide stuff behind the seats but it has to be soft flexible things. I guess if you plan a trip pack a duffle bag or a lot of small things. I don't think it would be the best thing to actually use the luggage rack (mine has one) as it would block your rear view mirror completely. Don't know if that is breaking any laws. However, the luggage rack is functional (has hold down slots for bungies or rubber straps.

Thanks,

WEK.

Last edited by skullandbones; 12-22-2015 at 01:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Hard Top Installation