C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Center Console Cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 04:41 AM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Center Console Cleaner?

Looking to clean up my center console. Recommendations on what to use on this rubberized console.
Photos?
Old 08-25-2017, 05:45 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

that rubberized coating is called "dulso." seems to have been somewhat popular in the auto industry back in the 90's. hindsight's 20-20, but it was a really bad idea. we're not the only ones dealing with it. my understanding is the porsche boys have the same issues. anyway, good luck cleaning that "crap" - if its sticky or gummy, it may be too far gone. I would suggest starting with a mild soap and water, use nothing abrasive, and stay away from solvents. as I remember my from my limited experience with my 96, I used ICE total interior care or plain old stoner's invisible glass and a soft cotton cloth. if yours is original, and in good condition, handle with care -
Old 09-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Still looking for more idea...
Old 09-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

you could always go this route. when I bought my 96 coupe, the center console was in near mint condition. since my cars are drivers, I wanted to keep the original pristine, so I bought a $5 (+ shipping) replacement bezel on fleabay. I pretty much went through a complete rebuild and restoration. for a driver, it actually worked out better in the long run...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nailed-it.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onclusion.html

Old 09-18-2017, 06:29 AM
Pres712
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Mr. Clean

I've owned my '86 for 31 years and since they came out I have used Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser. Just lightly scrub the console and it's magic! It comes out really clean and then I treat it with Gliptone Leather conditioner. I know it's not leather but it seems to work. Plus, I put a small cloth on the console as my arm wants to rest there and sweat is a killer! Good luck!!

Get notified of new replies

To Center Console Cleaner?

Quick Reply: Center Console Cleaner?