Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hurricane Irma Florida Checkin

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM
Raidmagic
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

We did well here in Brandon. Still have power in my area but a lot around me don't.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Churchkey
Melting Slicks

Received 102 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TorchTarga94
All the trees near the pond at the back of my property were bent clean over like someone bent them by hand, pretty cool.
Had several pines do that when Wilma blew through in '05 they straightened themselves up.

Step daughter resides in S Naples maybe 20 miles N of Marco Island. Convinced her to leave for our place in TN Friday morning in MY Super Duty. Reminded her that it was a truck not a boat. Forecasters predicted a 15' storm surge fortunately it did not occur.

Neighbor checked her home it has 6+ inches of water in it. Damn shame as she had new hardwood flooring installed earlier this year.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:05 PM
jgalfo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

was out of power for about 32 hours but no damage to the house. Irma passed directly over me in west orange county
Old 09-12-2017, 07:06 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

lost power for about 36 hours. fortunately, we have a portable generator, so for the most part, everything pretty much normal. lost internet service, but had (direct) TV, lights, frig, fans, etc.. minor flooding to the street, and no damage to the house - only lost one orange tree. had everything cleaned up within a couple hours. dodged bullet number two! had the 85 out yesterday -
Old 09-15-2017, 12:55 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

We did ok in our part of Florida, about 90 miles above Tampa. The whole area is in the highest part of Florida, 200 plus feet above sea level and 22 miles from the Gulf Coast. Vette and DD in a secured garage. Wife's ChevyCruze outside under a car cover which mostly blew off overnight. It was tied in the middle but the wind pulled the cover up off the front and back and the cover was in a big knot in the middle. One small tree branch from my neighbors tree cam down but no damage to anything. Tons of debris and leaves all over the place. Power went off AFTER the storm was over and rumor has it that our power company took it down to do upgrades. We took two days of no power and packed up and headed north to Virginia where my son lives and are there now. Heard that everything is back to normal so we are heading back to Florida tomorrow.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Default Big Scare!

We bought our new "to us" second home on the 1st of January this year in Clearwater. It was to be our winter escape from Upstate NY. We've now been retired for awhile and wanted to be there with other family already living there in the winter.
I spent 70 straight days (with only an occasional beach day for relaxing) renovating the place. I painted the whole inside, installed 220V and venting for a new stackable washer/dryer, complete new kitchen, two new bathrooms, and installed new floors throughout. Then bought new appliances and furniture making it ready for our arrival in November. Then it was time to come back to NY for the summer.
Before I left bough an inexpensive phone with free data every month. I installed surveillance software on it and put it in a window pointing out the driveway. I could view anytime from home.
I watched it every couple hours throughout the day on Sunday. Saw lots of wind and hard rain during the day and then it got pitch black by the time Irma hit. Here is the short video of what I could not see, but could hear. I thought the sound sounded like waves. Quite a sleepless night as you can imagine.
When neighbors came home we were told that there was no damage. We are very lucky!!!
Old 09-16-2017, 01:06 AM
RArline
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Still no power yet. Big tree took out power pole and transformer at the end of the street. I'm on finger canal and the Dania Cut Off is at the end of the street as it is a dead end street. Across the DCO canal is the power plant. Al lit so pretty and solar street lights on the street lit.
Running generator and have a couple of window units so sleeping in AC. Also have one one the boat that I can run so good on back up power. Boat was tied up in the middle of canal and a neighbors boat started sinking and mine got loose so we had to get then tied back up in the storm but was on the later part so the worst was over with. But that's for the boating forum.

First day off since last Sunday so I finally got to check out the vette today. A little damp inside but still a ways off from getting to the interior anyways. Started her up and ran a little while and finished putting in new radio bracket kit in as it was loose and falling out. Got it to where I can drive it around a little so can find out what all issues need addressing.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:32 AM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Update: We're back home and everything's normal. The A/C had come on when power was restored so the house was cool. I had emptied the ice cube container before leaving and it was full of ice as the freezer started making cubes when the power came on. We lost some food but I had given a large bag of frozen food to a neighbor who had a generator and a spare freezer in the garage. The streets were pretty clean from all the fallen debris. Coming back from Virginia was a good ride.

The day we left (Tuesday) over on the southbound side of I95 there were about 200,000 cars coming back to Florida. The homeowners that escaped before the storm hit seemed like that ALL decided to come back at once. The line of cars (hardly moving) went from North Carolina all the way to Florida. We also saw about 12 convoys of boom trucks coming to help restore power to Florida and a few convoys of Army trucks. Unfortunately they were stuck in the same massive traffic jam trying to head south. We were about the only ones heading north.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 09-17-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 PM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

..... Finally got power restored in Largo on Friday around 5:30pm ... a couple sections of fence are down and lost a lot of shingles off the roof ... the generator we were using ventilated the crankcase Friday morning (tossed a rod) ... I was just hooking up the replacement when the repair crew showed up and got us back on line ... they were from Canada and pretty much dying from the heat ... didn't expect to hear any Eh's until October .....

Quick Reply: Hurricane Irma Florida Checkin