Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Waze ....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 12:37 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I use it. I like it. It's especially useful around the city when there's construction and congestion for providing an alternate route. Yes it can eat up battery power if you leave the app open for long periods of time.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:00 AM
Fireeagle
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I used to use it more often. Occasional use now if going somewhere that I'm not very familiar with or on a highway for the police notification. Not bad for free, but keep your phone charging while using it.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:34 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

I don' need an app to tell me about police presence because I pay attention.

They'e not invisible folks, and you can easily tell when there's a cop because people all slam their brakes. If you pay attention while driving you don' need an app to do everything for you in life.

​​​​
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE

They'e not invisible folks, and you can easily tell when there's a cop because people all slam their brakes. If you pay attention while driving you don' need an app to do everything for you in life.

​​​​
Lol ... I suppose that's one way to look at it.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:29 PM
BrandensBeast
Melting Slicks

Received 144 Likes on 136 Posts

​​​​
Not here they're not, Plenty of sneaky cops hiding behind bushes/buildings around where I live, my town also has two undercover police interceptors, one completely blacked out, the other a white ford expedition that looks close to what a lot of people own in the area. I thought having a police car with no badges and or numbers was illegal, but apparently not.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:28 PM
gdgeorge
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I use it quite a bit locally and between BaltoWash and PGH. I've found the same as others in that it can be quite creative in re-routing. Thus I prefer to know the way to where I'm going and decide whether or not to take a detour. OTOH, Waze has caught me out and I've sat in traffic sometimes when I've ignored it. Yes, it does use a lot of battery but I have a whole "load out" for my phone that I like to use when I'm traveling, so it stays plugged in and visible anyway, so that's not usually a problem.

Best,
Jerry
Old 12-21-2017, 05:26 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

​​​​
I guess the cops in you area don't use lidar from a quarter mile away parked on an overpass.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:31 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by 383vett
I guess the cops in you area don't use lidar from a quarter mile away parked on an overpass.
You mean with the chase car on the on ramp ?

Yeah ... Hate those guys.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:07 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
You mean with the chase car on the on ramp ?

Yeah ... Hate those guys.
Yeah, that team. Inspired me to buy a Laser Intercepter jammer years ago. Use it now in my C7Z and still saving me.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:14 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Yeah, that team. Inspired me to buy a Laser Intercepter jammer years ago. Use it now in my C7Z and still saving me.
Nice.
I assume when it goes off, you slow down, then kill the jammer ???
Old 12-21-2017, 09:50 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I have used for a few years and it’s my primary app and helps with police alerts and detours to avoid traffic jams. I’ve run waze simultaneously to google maps and they are almost identical in directions especially considering google bought waze for some billions of dollars. Even on long trips waze is just as accurate as google maps and of course you know they have integrated the best of both apps into each other.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:28 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Wase only works when there is a large audience.

Otherwise the history stays and the cops are gone.

Plus its a bitch to post and drive......

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 12-22-2017 at 02:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:45 AM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Waze

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Anyone using Waze ? What's the general attitude toward this app ?
Good for speed traps and red light cameras but the navigation is tedious and warns of traffic probs after your already in them. Use Google maps for navigation and traffic conditions.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:38 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

In NC they donf, but where I'm from in Florida they just have state of the art everything. FHP runs some pretty nasty Dodge Chargers with instant on radar guns, they'e hit you before you've even had time to react. Heard some of them even have automatic instant on speed guns, not sure about that.

But my point was that if there' people around you or ahead of.you, you can see them reacting ahead of you. Waze requires someone to tell it the cops are there, and that means you could just watch the damn road instead of a phone.

Those undercover cars are nothing. There are black Tahoes in Palm Beach County with the stick figure families, and F150s with salt life stickers on them that are totally unmarked cop vehicles. Let alone all the sports and luxury cars seized from drug dealers.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:35 AM
jetskibruce
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gdgeorge
I use it quite a bit locally and between BaltoWash and PGH. I've found the same as others in that it can be quite creative in re-routing. Thus I prefer to know the way to where I'm going and decide whether or not to take a detour. OTOH, Waze has caught me out and I've sat in traffic sometimes when I've ignored it. Yes, it does use a lot of battery but I have a whole "load out" for my phone that I like to use when I'm traveling, so it stays plugged in and visible anyway, so that's not usually a problem.

Best,
Jerry
Yes, I have ignored it at times and also found out it was routing me around traffic which I landed in. And it has sometimes been able to get me out of a jamb quicker. I wonder how Google Maps will change with the new information. Last trip I took it seemed Maps was getting better at traffic jam identification.
Old 12-24-2017, 07:52 AM
yd328
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 68 Posts

It's another tool in the bag. I use it when I am traveling for police notification and traffic. When you are the leader of the pack or out by yourself it helps as long as there is some traffic ahead. I like to map out where I am going before I leave. Waze has sent me the long way a few times. The cb and a map still works great too

Gary
Old 12-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Callaway DrDon
Racer

Received 160 Likes on 70 Posts

Got a warning for "road kill" ahead......that was a new to me. Sure enough a mile ahead was a belly-up raccoon in the middle of the road. Helpful report in a lowered Vettte.
Old 12-26-2017, 04:38 PM
RUU
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/24/n...rref=undefined

Quick Reply: Waze ....