Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rockauto

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:57 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by aklim
The way the brick and mortar stores are going, I have a feeling it's going to be mostly mail order with a few stores that sell items you cannot buy easily online like clothes, etc.

Hey! Isn't that how Sears & Roebuck came into existence? Seems like THEY should be making a big comeback!

Interesting they didn't have that "business model" better prepared for what's to come. After all, they DID have a head-start on mail order!!!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:16 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

RockAuto works really well for me. I have had to return a couple of things, but their shipping rate with fedex is so cheap, it still ends up cheaper to eat it on a little shipping than buy at full retail. You print out a label and drop it off at the place on the corner (which is what makes it work well for me).

I just bought a clutch kit for my Ford last week. I try to buy the parts a couple of days ahead. Like I said-this works for me, but I can see why the local autoparts stores are fighting for commercial shop accounts. A repair shop needs parts in an hour or two and RA would not work well for shops.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:55 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Hey! Isn't that how Sears & Roebuck came into existence? Seems like THEY should be making a big comeback!

Interesting they didn't have that "business model" better prepared for what's to come. After all, they DID have a head-start on mail order!!!

They have stores closing down here and there, last year their CEO wasn't even sure of the future after having losing years for maybe 10 years. If I had to bet, I'd bet against Sears. Who knows. Maybe they can declare bankruptcy and come up on top. They are already closing a bunch of stores.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:00 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mike100
I have had to return a couple of things,
Why? Was it broke, wrong or just changed your mind?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:48 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

They have stores closing down here and there, last year their CEO wasn't even sure of the future after having losing years for maybe 10 years. If I had to bet, I'd bet against Sears. Who knows. Maybe they can declare bankruptcy and come up on top. They are already closing a bunch of stores.
Only a short matter of time. Sears recently declared bankruptcy here in Canada and closed down.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:08 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Lampert wants Sears to Bk.
He intends to abscond with the hard assets though his position as a secured creditor.
Its over for Sears.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:17 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Lampert wants Sears to Bk.
He intends to abscond with the hard assets though his position as a secured creditor.
Its over for Sears.
On the news here this morning, there is allegations of 300 million missing from the pension fund.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:51 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arbee
Only a short matter of time. Sears recently declared bankruptcy here in Canada and closed down.
Can't say I'd miss them. Only things I bought from them were tools and the way I see things going with their tools, I probably will go for another brand if I were to buy more tools. Probably an equivalent brand like Kobalt or Milwaukee or Dewalt or something decent.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 PM
aklim
Team Owner

On the news here this morning, there is allegations of 300 million missing from the pension fund.
300 million might be the tip of the iceberg, so to speak once the forensic accountants get busy.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

If I had to bet, I'd bet against Sears.
Yeah...that was my point. Plus, it's hard to understand how the ORIGINAL mail order company could never figure it out. Hadn't heard about the money (embezzling?) problem. Guess the guys at the top were focused on making money the wrong way?

Over the years, I bought exercise equipment, appliances, water heater lawn mower, and tools. Never electronics, bedding, furniture or clothes (except that one ORANGE t-shirt in case the vette gets stuck on the side of the road and I have to direct traffic! )

As much as I thought of their clothes/furniture as "cheesy", they did have something to offer. Thank goodness for Nebraska Furniture Mart, Kohls, HD/Menards, Auto Parts chains, and Harbor Freight! Hard to see these stores going fully mail order. Sometimes you need things NOW....plus wanting to see/touch/feel.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I don't think anyone will be surprised if there's been some chicanery with the financials for Sears.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:55 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
Yeah...that was my point. Plus, it's hard to understand how the ORIGINAL mail order company could never figure it out.

Hadn't heard about the money (embezzling?) problem.

Guess the guys at the top were focused on making money the wrong way?

Sometimes you need things NOW....plus wanting to see/touch/feel.
Why? The guys who started the mail order segment are long dead. Circumstances might be different. Yesterday's King Stud on the farm might be today's dinner at the table.

Someone Might be right about the 270 million. Not exactly sure exactly how it happened YET so hard to say who or what happened exactly without forensic accounting reports. http://business.financialpost.com/ne...itors-get-paid

There are 4 different words. Right, Wrong, Legal and Illegal. It could be both Legal and Wrong (Immoral).

True. You forget to get the Honey some silk underwear and you need it NOW and you have to find out first if it feels good or not.

Quick Reply: Rockauto