C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rockauto

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

Discount on RockAuto Parts!

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.
The discount takes 5% off our reliably low prices. There is no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on March 19, 2018 so do not wait!

E-mail says pass it on. Thought someone might benefit.

Last edited by car addict; 01-17-2018 at 08:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by car addict:
Patsgarage (01-17-2018), vette196 (01-18-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by car addict
Discount on RockAuto Parts!

Thank you for being a RockAuto customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

How to Use Your Discount Code
Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

Please note: Discount only valid for orders placed online. Code must be entered before order is submitted.
The discount takes 5% off our reliably low prices. There is no limit on order size or the number of orders. Use the code for your next order, and share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks.

This discount code expires on March 19, 2018 so do not wait!

E-mail says pass it on. Thought someone might benefit.
Hey, 5% is 5% lol, I'll take that dollar and buy a soda or something
Old 01-17-2018, 11:22 PM
KenMathisHD
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
You're welcome bestie

Gawd I love this place
Old 01-18-2018, 03:42 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default labor claims

Originally Posted by Joe C
just curious - jonno504, in a previous post stated, there was $300 in labor costs associated with a couple bad delphi fuel pumps, he was in the biz and personally wrote checks to reimburse labor costs. somehow, i'm not getting the big picture here. here's the Delphi warranty on the pumps - http://finchamauto.com/pics/Delphi%2...arranty%20.pdf - it clearly states --
"not responsible for any labor" - not trying to be a wise-***, but no matter who installs it, how do you pull off the labor thing? is Delphi paying for the labor or is rockauto???

a friend of mine recently installed a clutch master cylinder on a 93, and the first two were leakers. I seem to recall that advanced auto, refunded (discounted) the part by something like 20% - hardly worth anything.

as I said, not trying to get into a pi$$in contest - just curious. how does this work?
jobbers (parts stores) and wd's (warehouse distributors ) NEVER responsible for labor claims, ONLY the manufacturer of parts pay labor claims. it is the responsibility of the jobbers and wd's to push the claims paperwork up hill for consideration of the part's factory rep. the factory rep (me) will either approve or deny the claim for payment. if the labor claim falls outside the stated warranty of the manufacturer the are still ways to skin cat and make the repair shop happy. as a Bosch rep, i gave way many hundreds of spark plugs to off set lost labor cost . the point of all this is that on my Delphi fuel pumps , RA made zero effort to file a labor claim after I provided full documentation of my lost labor cost. ZERO communication from RA about my claim. right now my 96 needs a power steering pump, no way in HECK will I purchase a pump from RA when labor will exceed cost of part by a factor of 2 or 3. if the members of this forum are paying for labor $$$! purchase your parts from the shop doing the work, that way the pain in the azz is on them. two months ago I went through this same issue with a brake booster .shop charged me $ 700 for the job, parts and labor ( part $150) brakes failed in 3 miles. second repair cost me nothing. had I purchased from RM total labor loss to me would have been $550 ! damm glad I learned my lesson with the Delphi pump.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:56 PM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Just ordered a 4WD actuator for our old Chevy truck this morning from RA. Placed the order at 11:56. Just got the "It's shipped!" email at 12:51. Great price too, with shipping.
Hard to beat service like that.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Tried one last time. This time, I didn't bother to research. Plug in part numbers and ordered. We shall see if it comes to the right one. A few bucks cheaper than Amazon or eBay but let's see what I get. Seeing as how low my expectations of them are, they would have to work hard to disappoint me. But lowered expectations are SOP dealing with new people.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:09 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

I've bought half-a-dozen things over the years. About half, I've sent back. Rotors had visible run-out....good thing I checked them first. Cheaper wheel bearings were just that....cheap I could tell they wouldn't last due to lack of smoothness when rotated. Heater core was wrong...had wrong pipe routing.

It's been 3-4 yrs but I decided they might be selling "seconds" at least part of the time....or maybe SOME things are junk like an overstock warehouse? Something has to explain their pricing...though you can sell lower w/o brick/mortar.

When I got the bad wheel bearings, I bought new ones (cause the car was in the shop getting front end rebuilt). Good thing I had a rapport with that shop manager. Yeah...I think they do well honoring returns but I can't remember that they return original shipping? I think I still ended up getting the "better" wheel bearings from RA...plus the tie-rod ends. Other parts I got from Amazon.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:10 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
You're welcome bestie

I just love it when members monkey around!

Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM
73n95
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Best suggestion is "don't buy the cheap one". Go for a brand you trust and make sure that's what you get. Returns can be a pain. Its a lot of work and expense to repackage and ship items you don't like. My local NAPA/Carquest store is pretty competitive and offers advice. I like having parts over the counter and the guys and gals who work there are usually gearheads who know what I"m talking about, unlike the burnouts at the 'zone or advance. NAPA also helps me out when I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Hard to do that with internet ordering.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:09 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by 73n95
Best suggestion is "don't buy the cheap one". Go for a brand you trust and make sure that's what you get. Returns can be a pain. Its a lot of work and expense to repackage and ship items you don't like. My local NAPA/Carquest store is pretty competitive and offers advice. I like having parts over the counter and the guys and gals who work there are usually gearheads who know what I"m talking about, unlike the burnouts at the 'zone or advance. NAPA also helps me out when I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Hard to do that with internet ordering.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 73n95
unlike the burnouts at the 'zone or advance.

NAPA also helps me out when I can't find exactly what I am looking for. Hard to do that with internet ordering.
Don't you have to be working hard to be burned out?

Some of the NAPA people aren't worth a bucket of warm spit either.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I generally shop by part number. I search and compare shipping and whoever is cheapest wins my hard earned money. Sometimes it’s RA, sometimes not. I have seen some head scratching shipping charges on RA before. I have purchased many brand name parts from them. Ac delco, moog, timkin, Hawk etc. I have found the shipping to be reasonably quick and the items packaged well. And hey, who doesn’t like hot rod magnets??? I have only had one bad experience with an order of ball joints. One box was missing the boot. I
contacted them and they tried telling me it was the newer style integrated boot ball joint. Uh, no it was not. I had to email them photos of the part and also the image from their very own website showing them that it was supposed to come with a boot. I literally had to teach them the difference between an internal and external boot ball joint before they realized that mine required a boot. After the light bulb turned on they promptly sent me another, complete ball joint kit and I sent the incomplete one back. Annoying? Yes. But overall I am pleased with my experience with them. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect 100% of the time.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:56 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dt86
I generally shop by part number. I search and compare shipping and whoever is cheapest wins my hard earned money.

And hey, who doesn’t like hot rod magnets???

After the light bulb turned on they promptly sent me another, complete ball joint kit and I sent the incomplete one back. Annoying? Yes. But overall I am pleased with my experience with them. Mistakes happen, no one is perfect 100% of the time.
Good point. Some are cheaper but higher shipping and handling. Pretty much what I would do.

I just placed an order with RA. Should I be expecting hot rod magnets?

Absolutely. I had MB give me the wrong part 3 times. Bag and box correct but part totally wrong. Parts guy was so embarrassed he decided not to call me till he compared my part with the arriving part to make sure it is right.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM
aklim
Team Owner

OK. Just got my parts. They were in the Ford box so no prostitution thus far. So far, my impression is that you order what you can see after you compare prices but you won't get fast customer service if you have a question.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:50 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 2LZ
Just ordered a 4WD actuator for our old Chevy truck this morning from RA. Placed the order at 11:56. Just got the "It's shipped!" email at 12:51. Great price too, with shipping.
Hard to beat service like that.
Ordered Thursday, arrived Monday morning. Exactly what I ordered. No complaints here.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:08 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Love their commercials.....
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 AM
barra
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work for napa and their parts are Moog. Most of the parts at napa come from China, Mexico, India. It says so on the labels.
I bought suspension parts for my Suzuki at Rock Auto. The parts were OEM. The dealer wanted over $1400. Rock Auto charged $300 shipping included.

Get notified of new replies

To Rockauto

Old 01-30-2018, 07:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by barra
I work for napa and their parts are Moog. Most of the parts at napa come from China, Mexico, India. It says so on the labels.
I bought suspension parts for my Suzuki at Rock Auto. The parts were OEM. The dealer wanted over $1400. Rock Auto charged $300 shipping included.
Almost seems like they can sell it cheaper than Suzuki dealers can nuy it. Wonder how they can do it
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Almost seems like they can sell it cheaper than Suzuki dealers can nuy it. Wonder how they can do it
Bulk quantity and contracts that are signed between the wholesaler and retailer ahead of time. Rock Auto agrees to buy xxx amount of a OEM or manufacture’s product at a specified price for a specified price. Same way Wal Mart sells a bar of soap for $.50 and the Mom and Pop stores sell it for a say a buck. The power to negotiate. Wait until amazon .com sells auto parts ...maybe they have already started. Online shopping is growing...brick and mortar sales...not so much..

Last edited by 856SPEED; 01-30-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:08 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Bulk quantity and contracts that are signed between the wholesaler and retailer ahead of time. Rock Auto agrees to buy xxx amount of a OEM or manufacture’s product at a specified price for a specified price. Same way Wal Mart sells a bar of soap for $.50 and the Mom and Pop stores sell it for a say a buck. The power to negotiate. Wait until amazon .com sells auto parts ...maybe they have already started. Online shopping is growing...brick and mortar sales...not so much..
I guess what shocked me is that they can sell it for about 20% of what Suzuki can. 20%off, I'm good. 80% off, I'm shocked. Must be a huge quantity.

Other than a few items I shop online

Quick Reply: Rockauto