C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rockauto

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 06:48 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes I got from RA many times....

For the most of the orders no problems... One day a part delivered bad conditions (carrier damaged it) and RA immediately replaced with a new one.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:53 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
So why are there mentions of getting the right part, wrong brand? That has me worried. If I order a Delco item, should they be allowed to prostitute it to a different one?

You'll have to ask someone who's been involved with the wrong brand. I can only tell you about the experiences I've had with RockAuto...and they've all been good.

Looking at your posts on this thread, you seem awfully critical of a parts source that you've apparently never used, aklim. Do you work for AutoZone or something?

Last edited by rocco16; 01-03-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:05 AM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

As matter of fact now i'm remembering once i've got a bad experience too.

Got a pair of hatch struts, they were one a type the other one slghtly different, asked for replacement and RA wont to do it. For RA was ok this way.

Anyway for the most of the orders i've got good experience

Last edited by Christi@n; 01-03-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:34 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by rocco16

You'll have to ask someone who's been involved with the wrong brand. I can only tell you about the experiences I've had with RockAuto...and they've all been good.

Looking at your posts on this thread, you seem awfully critical of a parts source that you've apparently never used, aklim. Do you work for AutoZone or something?
First off, just because I work for Autozone doesn't mean that I own shares and need your patronage to increase my share value. Secondly, I DO NOT work for them. Third of all, if you see my history, I have advised many people to NOT trust Autozone for their part testing services.

Here are my issues. They DO NOT provide phone support. In essence, click, buy, pay and hope you get what you wanted. Secondly you can send email for questions but the answer is not instant as to when something is available. When I call a vendor, they say it is out of stock, I move on. With RA I wait for you to get out and email. Yes, the price is less but the inconvenience is higher. I have checked with them before BUT if it isn't in store, wait for an email reply. I call a vendor, I can make an instant decision.

Heather has 2 mommies (a book title) and my Powerstroke has 2 negative cables. It shows one. I tried to call them about it and they cannot help me. Buy what is there or don't. The phone line cannot answer questions on parts availability or any info on it. Sorry, that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. This was a couple weeks ago. IF you can't talk to me live, you can't tell me which one it is and I had to go to Ford and talk to the people there. If I have to send an email and wait indefinitely, I'll go somewhere else where they can tell me if they can get it. So yes, I tried to buy from them but their business model doesn't work for me. I want to know information now and not sometime in the future.

Last edited by aklim; 01-03-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:32 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I've bought from them multiple times without problem. Website was super-easy, parts seem of good quality and they shipped me exactly what I ordered. Plus, shipping was lightning fast, even to Volcano.
I'm getting all of my gaskets and small items locally though. I prefer not to pay almost as much for shipping as the parts cost.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:33 AM
FresnoVette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I bought a set of new lug nuts from them. The OEM kind with a chrome cover shell. After the first installation the covers were falling off. I asked for another set to replace the covers lost. You'd have thought I was asking for "the world". I found a set on fleabay for half the price and free shipping. Damned if they weren't in the same identical box.

RA is my last choice for parts.......
Old 01-03-2018, 11:59 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

first of all, i'm NOT trying to get into a pi$$in contest with anyone.

over the last year, I've probably purchased a $1000 in parts from RA. I've never had an issue with inventory, since their parts callouts states something like "only 3 remaining" as a flag when purchasing. if I order something like a MOOG ball joint, I have researched the part number and double checked that number with another source. with one exception I have always received what I've ordered, and RA has NEVER substituted anything with another part. the only RA incident was getting a AC Delco power steering hose that came in a sealed AC Delco package that had the wrong part inside the package. that was not RA's fault, and that could have happed if I bought the part local or on-line. I went to RA's "report a problem link," stated the issue, and received a reply with instructions within the day. in a nutshell, they stated a replacement part would be sent out, and there was no need to return the wrong item. I think I had the replacement within a couple days, and the replacement was spot on. I feel I would have had more issues dealing one-on-one, toe-to-toe, nose-to-nose with a some of these local "experts." I actually had an incident where a young lady at the local box store, who by the way was younger than my 85 corvette, tell me my car was modified, and in so many words, nicely told me I didn't know what I was talking about - . I would have lit her **** up, but she did have a great lookin' **** - . more than once, I've had to walk the store clerk through his computer system to find a part, and then you're limited to only a couple choices. I rarely can go out and get exactly what I need - finding parts "on the shelf" for a 30 year old corvette usually doesn't happen. most always, you go in, they don't have it, but "we can order it - be in in a couple days," then you have to pay for it in advance, and then make a second trip back to the store, and hope you get the right part. spending hours, driving around to multiple places and coming home empty handed, for me, that's an inconvenience. anymore I use local for small, onesie-twosie things if i'm in a hurry (like nuts and bolts, but sometimes, it's still better and cheaper to buy "bulk" on-line), wax, motor oil, car batteries, and odds and ends. anything significant - on-line. always good luck and best pricing with RA, summit racing, amazon, and a fair amount on fleabay. just my 2-cents....

BTW, when I lived back in ohio, summit racing was "local," so remember, what's on-line to you is local to someone else!

Last edited by Joe C; 01-04-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by FresnoVette
I bought a set of new lug nuts from them. The OEM kind with a chrome cover shell. After the first installation the covers were falling off. I asked for another set to replace the covers lost. You'd have thought I was asking for "the world". I found a set on fleabay for half the price and free shipping. Damned if they weren't in the same identical box.

RA is my last choice for parts.......
not trying to be argumentative, but are you upset with RA's replacement policy, the quality of the product you ordered, or the pricing? if you had the same issue(s) with your fleabay purchase, do you think the fleabay seller would honor a replacement? not sure why you're upset with RA - ???

Last edited by Joe C; 01-03-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:24 PM
FresnoVette
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Its all smoke and mirrors. Box stores or www stores. Gone are the days that a counter man knew his stuff. And the parts were from reputable sources. So buyer beware of what you need.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FresnoVette
Its all smoke and mirrors. Box stores or www stores. Gone are the days that a counter man knew his stuff. And the parts were from reputable sources. So buyer beware of what you need.
That can exist today. People are not willing to pay exorbitant amounts for it. If you want to pay me $10 an hour, you need to scale your expectations to that. When you are willing to pay me $20, you can ask more of me. Obviously, that increases the cost which the you, the user are not willing to pay as evidenced by the fact that people shop price. So, we can't expect miracles.

There was an excellent article about Midwest Express starting up again. However, the question was, would they be a "ME TOO" airline or the old Midwest Express we knew where you get shrimp cocktails in economy class.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/money...ipe/556010001/

There are skeptics, though, and not just because startup costs and risks would be so high. A business model like that of the old Midwest Express, which assumes fliers would be willing to pay more for a higher level of service, might need to be re-thought in today's travel environment, said Peter Belobaba, director of the Global Airline Industry Program at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

"Over and over and over again, people say they’d be willing to pay more for more leg room ... they’d be willing to pay more for better service, and over and over and over again, it has been shown that they are lying," Belobaba said.

Last edited by aklim; 01-03-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:16 PM
midlifecrisis1979
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

That can exist today. People are not willing to pay exorbitant amounts for it.
You just have to go around to the different stores to find what your looking for. My local O'rilley's has a counter guy that is an older gentlemen and knows his stuff, he is my go to when I need to make something work and saves me cash! Once you find a guy get his cell......rolodex comes in handy
Old 01-03-2018, 02:30 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis1979
You just have to go around to the different stores to find what your looking for. My local O'rilley's has a counter guy that is an older gentlemen and knows his stuff, he is my go to when I need to make something work and saves me cash! Once you find a guy get his cell......

rolodex comes in handy
Possibly. Those are few and far between. Most of the time, they are staffed by "The Hobos". Today they are here, tomorrow they are somewhere else. People change jobs every couple of years and even career paths so you can't expect they are experienced in much. Also, today, holding a job isn't as significant as it used to be.

Rolodex? People still use them? I haven't seen one for eons.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:40 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Nobody pays for shop labor. Wife's MB with heated seats did but that was because it was an MB part and I got along with the service advisor. You put in aftermarket or bring your own parts and that's how it is.
What RA FAILED to do was forward my labor claims to Deiphi, after I went through all the paper work BS. my 40 years in the auto pars biz gives me more than a clue as to how make a labor claim. RA should have processed the claim and sent the claim to Delphi for payment. as a Bosch , Federal Mogul etc. factory rep I signed of on labor claims from a coil to an engine. if WD( RA in this case) fails provide proper info to factory rep of the defective part, labor claim will never be paid. this is why I am finished with RA. RA is two stepping many of the parts they sell, hence they CAN'T make any claims on the manufacturer. been down this road may times over the years.... I know where it leads.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johno504
What RA FAILED to do was forward my labor claims to Deiphi, after I went through all the paper work BS. my 40 years in the auto pars biz gives me more than a clue as to how make a labor claim. RA should have processed the claim and sent the claim to Delphi for payment. as a Bosch , Federal Mogul etc. factory rep I signed of on labor claims from a coil to an engine. if WD( RA in this case) fails provide proper info to factory rep of the defective part, labor claim will never be paid. this is why I am finished with RA. RA is two stepping many of the parts they sell, hence they CAN'T make any claims on the manufacturer. been down this road may times over the years.... I know where it leads.
IDK what they do specifically but I know when I called them, I got the phone number after I googled it and the speech "To keep the price low...." speech concerning phone support.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by johno504
just curious - what kind of Delphi part you were having the issues? can't say I ever needed to file a claim and I was not aware that parts manufacturers covered associated labor cost under warranty.

Last edited by Joe C; 01-07-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 10:04 AM
batmanrobinwilliams
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have personally had good luck ordering with them. Usually just order ACDELCO from them but they have really good deals time to time on closeout items where name brand doesn't matter as much (to me) such as windshield wipers.

Get notified of new replies

To Rockauto

Old 01-07-2018, 12:12 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

You are now Joes buddy forever.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:55 PM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
just curious - may i ask what kind of Delphi part you were having the issues? can't say I ever needed to file a claim and I was not aware that parts manufacturers covered associated labor cost under warranty.
Typically, there isn't an allowance for labor for a "do it yourself" sale of only the part.

If the part was purchased by a qualified repair facility (definition varies by manufacturer and/or seller), and the repair facility installed the part as part of a repair (with a work order), the manufacturer may make a "labor allowance" as part of a warranty claim. That allowance is typically a "warranty rate" labor time (often between sixty percent and eighty percent of a typical labor time guide figure) multiplied by a technician pay rate that represents some kind of average. In short, a repair shop will get reimbursed (nearly) enough to cover what they pay their technician, but no profit or overhead from the warranty claim.

If you are a repair shop, and you buy on RockAuto.com, you should also have an account with a local parts source that handles warranty claims with labor allowances, and if you stick to brands which the local source sells and supports, and you do enough business with them, the local source should be able to process a claim on a warranty part, even if the original purchase was from RockAuto. This is something to discuss with your local source when it's still a hypothetical scenario. Ask, "What if I find a better price online on a Delphi part, and it fails within a year, can you, Mr. Local Source handle a warranty claim on that part?" Obviously, a vendor that answers "Yes" is someone you should do business with. They don't have to help you with parts you buy from RockAuto, but some will do that. I had a shop (commericial) account with the local CarQuest, and as long as I gave them a shot at the item before buying from RockAuto or Amazon, they would support me for warranty claims even if I bought from an online source. Of course, I also bought a fair number of parts from that CarQuest location as well. They recently switched to a Napa location, and now, they only offer labor warranties to "Napa Certified Car Care Centers." I'm not sure if I'll jump through the hoops to become a Napa Certified Car Care Center, yet. Truth be told, I've only made maybe 3 or 4 warranty claims for labor in the past 5 years. It's less than one a year with me. Unless parts get to be significantly less reliable, I'll probably "self warranty" the labor for now.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

Quick Reply: Rockauto