C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 11:45 PM
BowerPower
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Headlight motor problem

I have a 1985 corvette, both headlights motors have a different problem. The driver's side continues to run after it is closed. It just constantly bumps against the closed position (thumping noise). Correct me if I am wrong, but that should be a problem with the nylon gear. The passenger's side only worked when I lightly tapped it with a hammer, afterwards it worked a few times then stopped working again. I can not seem to find anything on that problem. Honestly, it reminds me of a bad electrical motor, like a fuel pump or starter, you can hit it to make it work once or twice. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:30 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by BowerPower
The driver's side continues to run after it is closed. It just constantly bumps against the closed position (thumping noise). Correct me if I am wrong, but that should be a problem with the nylon gear.
Yes, that's a good diagnosis.

The passenger's side only worked when I lightly tapped it with a hammer, afterwards it worked a few times then stopped working again.
That's an indication of dirty limit switches inside the motor. Here's a link with some details for you:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596817590

Quick Reply: Headlight motor problem