Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Very Seriously Considering this C4...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 09:39 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Very Seriously Considering this C4...

I've connected with a member on this forum and will look at and test drive his 1989 convertible 6 spd manual soon. Seems immaculate and in over all great condition, located in southern CA. The seller is very upfront and honest about his car. Anything I should know to look for and listen for while test driving this particular year? Also, will I have a hard time finding parts or having major repairs done, down the road, such as clutch and/or transmission repairs? Just getting a little anxious/nervous since this will be my first Vette I commit to. Original ad below. Thanks

1989 Chevy Corvette Roadster. Excellent condition with original paint. Approx 58k miles. No accidents, never hit. Last year of the "Atari" interior and first year of the ZF 6 speed manual transmission. Ice cold AC. Runs fantastic. Cloth top and back window are in excellent condition , hard top with stand also included. Two sets of factory keys and a service manual included. Clean title in hand and will smog for the next caretaker. Everything works as it should . Ready to go.
$11000
Work done over the past year:
Headlight motors rebuilt with new nylon gears
New Aluminum high performance radiator
New hoses and thermostat
New alternator an Bosch Battery
AC Delco spark plugs and wires
New distributor cap, rotor, and coil
Engine idle air control valve
Fuel filter , screen, and pump
Blueprinted and flow-matched factory Bosch fuel injectors from the Injector Connection
EGR temp sending switch, solenoid vacuum relay and EGR valve
New wiper blades
New catalytic converter
Magnaflow cat-back stainless exhaust
New door window outer seals
New door interior courtesy lamps (LED)
New cabin cover (for use when the top is down)
Power steering system flushed.Attached Images
Old 05-18-2018, 11:29 AM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Thats alot of money, but if its clean and has good maintenance records, it might be worth the extra money. Buying the wrong one could cost you at least a couple of grand in repairs
Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Yes, that's a premium price, but it appears to be well maintained and verts with a hard top go for more. It's also sports car season now.

Join a local Vette club and get a recommendation for a good C4 mechanic to do a pre-buy inspection. Minor issues like weatherstripping that needs to be replaced, poor performing Bose radio, etc. can be negotiating points on price.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
I've connected with a member on this forum and will look at and test drive his 1989 convertible 6 spd manual soon. Seems immaculate and in over all great condition, located in southern CA. The seller is very upfront and honest about his car. Anything I should know to look for and listen for while test driving this particular year? Also, will I have a hard time finding parts or having major repairs done, down the road, such as clutch and/or transmission repairs? Just getting a little anxious/nervous since this will be my first Vette I commit to. Original ad below. Thanks

1989 Chevy Corvette Roadster. Excellent condition with original paint. Approx 58k miles. No accidents, never hit. Last year of the "Atari" interior and first year of the ZF 6 speed manual transmission. Ice cold AC. Runs fantastic. Cloth top and back window are in excellent condition , hard top with stand also included. Two sets of factory keys and a service manual included. Clean title in hand and will smog for the next caretaker. Everything works as it should . Ready to go.
$11000
Work done over the past year:
Headlight motors rebuilt with new nylon gears
New Aluminum high performance radiator
New hoses and thermostat
New alternator an Bosch Battery
AC Delco spark plugs and wires
New distributor cap, rotor, and coil
Engine idle air control valve
Fuel filter , screen, and pump
Blueprinted and flow-matched factory Bosch fuel injectors from the Injector Connection
EGR temp sending switch, solenoid vacuum relay and EGR valve
New wiper blades
New catalytic converter
Magnaflow cat-back stainless exhaust
New door window outer seals
New door interior courtesy lamps (LED)
New cabin cover (for use when the top is down)
Power steering system flushed.Attached Images
Much of the repairs are those one would do as part of proper maintenance. And, from that perspective, the price may be a bit high, but if it IS well maintained, then you have a choice to make. However, getting your money back out may be difficult (if that is a concern).

it does have the ZF6 trans, which is a nice plus too. And, it IS a convertible; both are premiums. What mileage??? How is the carpet and the upholstery? (Carpet isn't bad to install and not expensive. new seat covers tho and you're looking at $1200 to have them done.

Compression check results? brakes as new?

Old 05-18-2018, 04:49 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

heres a 91 with 28K on the clock for cheaper
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...90686368222463
Old 05-18-2018, 04:54 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

For that premium price, the paint should be in 98% condition, as should the interior and the mechanicals. If they are all pristine, then this might be the car for you....IF you don't plan on any freway driving.
A ZF6 is a maor PITA in stop-and-go driving. I lived in San Diego with mine for eight years, and hated the car when I got on the I-15 or the I-5 or the 405.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:02 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Its this car
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...low-miles.html

I would buy that car.... its a forum member.... he has extensive maintenance records... I would bet he might make a concession for the worn drivers bolster.... The car is well cared for and looks to be in top shape. I had a beautiful 86 coupe I just sold last month that I started at $11,000. I would have gotten that, but I was in a bit of a hurry to get the ZR-1 I have.

Last edited by 81c3; 05-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaptianJ (05-29-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Nice car.....in my area, this time of the year, this car would be snapped up.

As stated, the CF car sale section is not the best place to sell a car. We already own at least one. We do use that section “gauge” the value of the cars we already own.

When I sold Vettes in the past, I used CL during Corvettes at Carlisle or bought spaces in the car corral. Always got cash ( as in 50’s and 100’s)
And most of the time they were heading out of state.

In ending, grab it if you want it. If you have the means, a good deal is when both the buyer and seller feel good in the end. Not necessarily the amount of cash that changed hands.

There, I’m off my “soapbox”

Last edited by skyhawk50; 05-18-2018 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-19-2018, 04:39 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
Its this car
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...low-miles.html

I would buy that car.... its a forum member.... he has extensive maintenance records...
records are all the difference.

While I don't like throwing money around I have made the mistake of passing on a good car to "save" $1000 and spent thousands more than I had to on repairs becasue I "saved" $1000.

Don't get so caught up on the price and put more emphasis on condition, records and maitenance.
The following 2 users liked this post by billschroeder5842:
CaptianJ (05-29-2018), DykstraMotorsports (05-22-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Whaleman
Melting Slicks

Received 789 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
records are all the difference.

While I don't like throwing money around I have made the mistake of passing on a good car to "save" $1000 and spent thousands more than I had to on repairs becasue I "saved" $1000.

Don't get so caught up on the price and put more emphasis on condition, records and maitenance.

Get notified of new replies

To Very Seriously Considering this C4...

Quick Reply: Very Seriously Considering this C4...