Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Hood Latch replacement under dash

Old 05-18-2018, 12:49 PM
dice55

Default Hood Latch replacement under dash

So i just bought a C4 and the hood latch handle under the dash is nowhere to be found. The locks are in the open position so i can lift the hood. My question is is it easy to access the latch area under the dash, Has anybody done this ?
thanks

its a 1992

Last edited by dice55; 05-18-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM
N227GB
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

What year is your C4?

IIRC, the latch on my 88 is just forward of a removable panel. You should be able to *gently* pull on the swaged end of the cable with a small vice grip if the latch mechanism is not in place.

Check to see if the previous owner installed emergency hood release cables. If not, get 'em!
Old 05-18-2018, 01:38 PM
dice55

Originally Posted by N227GB View Post
What year is your C4?

IIRC, the latch on my 88 is just forward of a removable panel. You should be able to *gently* pull on the swaged end of the cable with a small vice grip if the latch mechanism is not in place.

Check to see if the previous owner installed emergency hood release cables. If not, get 'em!
Its a 1992, just not sure if access to the latch area is easy, love the cable idea!
thanks

Last edited by dice55; 05-18-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:32 PM
kael
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

For DIYers, you can make your own emergency pulls out of bailing wire. No flopping around and costs pennies.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 PM
gdl2165
CF Senior Member

You'll have to remove the hush panel under the dash to get to the release area. Once you have the hush panel off I'll bet you the release lever is actually there, someone just put the panel on over the top of it. When replacing the panel you have to grab the release and work it through the hole in the panel.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 PM
VikingTrad3r
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

SSTTOOPPP

before you go ANY FURTHER put emergency hood release cables in there. As simple as long steel fishing leaders will work just fine.

DO NOT mess with anything until you've done this.

If you mess with the latch release and those close on you you are screwed.

Originally Posted by dice55 View Post
So i just bought a C4 and the hood latch handle under the dash is nowhere to be found. The locks are in the open position so i can lift the hood. My question is is it easy to access the latch area under the dash, Has anybody done this ?
thanks

its a 1992
Old 05-19-2018, 01:09 AM
Ziggy*
CF Senior Member

Default Hood release

Under 50 yr, leave drivers seat in, pull "Hush" panel above brake an/or clutch. Look at all the stuff under there.....In my 86 , 2- 10mm screws holds the hood assy latch on inside to the dash. You can still get new parts.Gonna get flamed, but like gdi2165/vikingTrad3r said, underhood cables are a godsend, use mine all the time....No "High crime here" Oh, Over 50 , pull the drivers seat, lay on floor If your hood isn't latching, check your cable adjusters above firewall

Last edited by Ziggy*; 05-19-2018 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 05-19-2018, 07:47 AM
Cruisinfanatic
. 1985 Original Owner .
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ziggy* View Post
Under 50 yr, leave drivers seat in, pull "Hush" panel above brake an/or clutch. Look at all the stuff under there.....In my 86 , 2- 10mm screws holds the hood assy latch on inside to the dash. You can still get new parts.Gonna get flamed, but like gdi2165/vikingTrad3r said, underhood cables are a godsend, use mine all the time....No "High crime here" Oh, Over 50 , pull the drivers seat, lay on floor If your hood isn't latching, check your cable adjusters above firewall
what does 50 have to do with it?
Old 05-19-2018, 03:47 PM
dice55

Originally Posted by gdl2165 View Post
You'll have to remove the hush panel under the dash to get to the release area. Once you have the hush panel off I'll bet you the release lever is actually there, someone just put the panel on over the top of it. When replacing the panel you have to grab the release and work it through the hole in the panel.
You were correct, The latch was pushed up under the panel. I pulled it thru and mounted the panel back. It works now but floppy, I bet there must be a screw to secure it. Do you know if I can access that and install with out removing the panel again?
thanks to everyone for your help
Also Emergency cables will be installed as noted
Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM
gdl2165
CF Senior Member

I suspect you'll have to pull the panel again, I haven't actually looked at mine to verify but I'm pretty certain you can't see the screws that hold the release lever with it in place.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood Latch replacement under dash

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: