C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Jackwad

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 01:08 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,290 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by pacoW
Maybe, but very hard to prove. Easy argument could be made that the BMW SUV cleared the semi and was going to pass the car in front of him on the right. Or the BMW was going to move over to let the motorcycle by because he saw him coming in the rearview and din't anticipate the bike was going to cut in between.

You think the BMW had safely cleared the Semi to change lanes? And if it was really an accident, why didn’t the BMW pull off to the side of the road after impact? There is no “easy” argument for the BMW driver. It was completely intentenional to swerve.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:38 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ChumpVette

You think the BMW had safely cleared the Semi to change lanes? And if it was really an accident, why didn’t the BMW pull off to the side of the road after impact? There is no “easy” argument for the BMW driver. It was completely intentenional to swerve.
Safely? No. Enough to pass, yes. The BMW stopped, or you would have seen it driving away. Traffic was moving 20-25mph tops. No way that semi would have been able to stop that fast (and not run over the bike guy on the ground) at highway speed. An old man once told me believe 10% of what you read and half of what you see.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:45 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by pacoW
Safely? No. Enough to pass, yes. The BMW stopped, or you would have seen it driving away. Traffic was moving 20-25mph tops. No way that semi would have been able to stop that fast (and not run over the bike guy on the ground) at highway speed. An old man once told me believe 10% of what you read and half of what you see.

im not sure what alternate reality you live in, but nowhere do you see the BMW pull over in the video. The motorcycle rider mentioned the police had to chase down the BMW and pull it over. So you must be blind on that other 50%.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:18 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

This sucks, I hate hearing about a nice clean Corvette being damaged by careless drivers. But unfortunately for those of us who actually drive our cars on public roads, it's just a matter of time before the paint is scratched, scuffed, gouged or otherwise damaged in some way. It really is normal wear and tear. You can park in the back lot, you can use a cover, you can do anything in attempt to prevent it but eventually it's going to happen.

I ride off-road motorcycles only because of the incredible risk of riding street bikes. Believe me, I would love to commute on a motorcycle and hit the lovely Sierra foothills roads on weekends. But on a motorcycle, there is a massive risk for injury or death just for one reason: distracted drivers. Gosh darn I really hate that our society has such lack of discipline and consideration for the welfare of others. We are incredibly selfish! GAH! So I try very hard to drive safely and be aware of motorcyclists. But if a lane splitter is approaching me well above the speed limit, I could easily cut him off accidentally. How many times am I supposed to check my mirrors and crane my neck toward the rear window before I change lanes? At some point the street bikers need to take responsibility for their legal but very dangerous behavior. Yes the traffic can be very frustrating, but nobody is forcing them to split lanes. It is a choice.

Last edited by DGXR; 08-10-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Wow … if I were a juror, I would put that driver in prison for life.
Yup it's been my experience that bikers all ride like that. I'd lock them all up, they all think theyre invincible and the most important person in the world. People that split lanes should have their license revoked permanently.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:50 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Yup it's been my experience that bikers all ride like that. I'd lock them all up, they all think theyre invincible and the most important person in the world. People that split lanes should have their license revoked permanently.
Driver not rider.
You know, the person who intentionally wrecked the rider.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:12 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I got to believe that it hurts like hell and is not worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw8dNi1ipTA
Every time that happens, an Angel gets its wings..

Old 08-10-2018, 07:17 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Yup it's been my experience that bikers all ride like that.
I never did and I completely agree with you.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:19 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

You know, frankly.. This attitude extends to bicycles in some areas as well.

If you want to buy something that lets you skirt traffic laws (And even general road etiquette) with impunity? Buy a plane.

But as long as you are down here with the rest of us, follow the rules.

No sympathy for butt-hats who think they're too special for them to bother.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Good part is that the laws of physics always trump whatever laws humans come up with. So what if you can sue me? Money is only good for spending. Can't spend it if you are dead, if you are lucky. If you are not so lucky to die instantly and you are crippled for life, well, I don't know about you but money is not going to change that.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Probably why some people pretend they don’t see motorcycle riders. I usually move a tad over if I see em coming but some generally drive like halfbrains

Last edited by ElisTwoCents; 08-10-2018 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:47 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by confab
You know, frankly.. This attitude extends to bicycles in some areas as well.

If you want to buy something that lets you skirt traffic laws (And even general road etiquette) with impunity? Buy a plane.

But as long as you are down here with the rest of us, follow the rules.

No sympathy for butt-hats who think they're too special for them to bother.
I see too many cyclists behave that way to even feel sorry for them when they get hurt. Probably wouldn't even waste my phone battery to call for help if I see it is caused by their disregard for the laws of physics. Same with pedestrians. If I want to play, I best be willing to pay for my sins.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:52 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by aklim
I see too many cyclists behave that way to even feel sorry for them when they get hurt. Probably wouldn't even waste my phone battery to call for help if I see it is caused by their disregard for the laws of physics. Same with pedestrians. If I want to play, I best be willing to pay for my sins.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ElisTwoCents
Probably why some people pretend they don’t see motorcycle riders. I usually move a tad over if I see em coming but some generally drive like halfbrains
I stay in the center of the lane. I'm not sure I want to put myself closer to road debris or another car to mitigate YOUR risk and increase MY own unless you are meaningful to me.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:45 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,447 Likes on 2,803 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Driver not rider.
You know, the person who intentionally wrecked the rider.
So you want to blame the guy making a perfectly legal move, maybe trying to dodge some debris in the road, maybe changing lanes, and not the guy riding like a dickwad trying to make an illegal pass with excessive speed? Come on, get real. That rider caused that accident 100%, and shouldn't be allowed on the road.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:51 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

So you want to blame the guy making a perfectly legal move, maybe trying to dodge some debris in the road, maybe changing lanes, and not the guy riding like a dickwad trying to make an illegal pass with excessive speed? Come on, get real. That rider caused that accident 100%, and shouldn't be allowed on the road.
This happened in California where lane splitting is legal. The bmw driver did that intentionally, which is not legal at all. Watch the video again. The driver isn't even clear of the truck before he cuts over.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 08-10-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 09:52 PM
OzyC4
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm reading these comments about the risk involved in riding motorcycles and I can't help but ask whether these people enjoy flying light planes, helicoptors, parachuting, bungee jumping etc. Everything we do in life has some risk involved, it's just the level we're prepared to go to. I would never try any of these activities but I've been riding bikes without any problems for nearly fifty years. I ride defensively and assume that all the other motorists can't see me. Where I am in OZ lane splitting is legal up to 40kph (approx 25 mph) and I rarely lane split even at these speeds, but it's not unusual to see riders (usually on sports bikes) lane splitting on the freeways at 60 mph or more. To me this is suicidal and just goes to prove the old saying....there's old riders and bold riders, but no old bold riders.

Last edited by OzyC4; 08-11-2018 at 03:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Jackwad

Old 08-10-2018, 10:29 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Regardless of legality it is a high risk move. He might have won in the past This time he did not If you don't want to pay when the risk goes against you don't play. It is that simple.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by OzyC4
I'm reading these comments about the risk involved in riding motorcycles and I can't help but whether these people enjoy flying light planes, helicoptors, parachuting, bungee jumping etc. Everything we do in life has some risk involved, it's just the level we're prepared to go to. I would never try any of these activities but I've been riding bikes without any problems for nearly fifty years. I ride defensively and assume that all the other motorists can't see me. Where I am in OZ lane splitting is legal up to 40kph (approx 25 mph) and I rarely lane split even at these speeds, but it's not unusual to see riders (usually on sports bikes) lane splitting on the freeways at 60 mph or more. To me this is suicidal and just goes to prove the old saying....there's old riders and bold riders, but no old bold riders.
Sure There is risk which gives you the adrenaline rush. Risk implies that there is a chance of failure. Some days are good, others, no so.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 PM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

The “cager” mentality in this thread is disgusting.

Quick Reply: Jackwad