Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Jackwad

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 03:07 AM
ElisTwoCents
Le Mans Master

Received 420 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
The “cager” mentality in this thread is disgusting.
It is a "cager" forum per say, so when in Rome
Old 08-11-2018, 03:49 AM
OzyC4
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This debate could go on forever, but my thoughts are that in the first video the rider was taking a big chance on lane splitting at that speed and the car driver didn't use his indicator or do a head check, so they are both at fault.
In the second video, obviously the rider had some beef with the car driver, probably changing lanes in front of him is the usual problem, but look at the carnage he created.
Endangering all those lives just for some percieved action that the car driver did which upset him.
One thing I've learned in all my years of driving is not to get upset when someone cuts in on you because there's probably a thousand cars in front of you and one more won't make any difference. Better to chill out and just listen to the radio.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:27 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I knw whats right and whats wrong. I also understand probabilities. You wont see me on riding on the street. I'm a track only guy. Its safer, which is weird to say out loud. Its safer to race a motorcycle on a track, than it is to ride a motorcycle on the street.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Lane splitting should be legal everywhere, IMO. But there's lane splitting and then there's lane splitting for selfish gain.

Lane splitting became a necessity in L.A. as the relentless traffic jams would cause an air cooled bike to overheat while parked in the desert sun.

But splitting lanes at speed because you got up too late (or whatever excuse) is a recipe for disaster. Thanks to natural selection, the latter is self-regulating.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Lane splitting should be legal everywhere, IMO. But there's lane splitting and then there's lane splitting for selfish gain.

Lane splitting became a necessity in L.A. as the relentless traffic jams would cause an air cooled bike to overheat while parked in the desert sun.

But splitting lanes at speed because you got up too late (or whatever excuse) is a recipe for disaster. Thanks to natural selection, the latter is self-regulating.
Legal is defined by the laws of man. That has no bearing on the laws of physics. It is still an unsafer maneuver. This is no different from me choosing to drive at 150 and getting hurt. I can't come crying to you for help because I chose to do something that is risky. You split and your risk multiplies whether it is some jerk or an inexperienced driver that panics or an inattentive driver or whatever. Bottom line is if you want to increase your risk, feel free. Just don't come crying when you get bit by that move. If you are not willing to assume that loss if it so happens, you shouldn't be doing that move.

Legal means you can be cited and maybe that figures into a court case or not. Legal doesn't mean that nothing will happen. It is legal for me to drive under 0.08. It doesn't negate the increased risk from moving from total sobriety to 0.04.

Last edited by aklim; 08-11-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:52 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I sold my bike because people drive so terribly anymore. Guy got T-boned up the road and lost a leg, completely not his fault, and that was it. But, when I did ride, I never split. Not at stop signs. Never. In fact, I almost wiped a guy out who was splitting. Let me tell you what it is like.

You're blowing down the road and instantly from out of nowhere there's this huge noise right on top of you. You're like: "Is it an emergency vehicle? Do I need to get out of the way? What?" It's startling, it comes on so fast and he wasn't in the mirror till a split second later, and only a flash then, and BOOM! he's coming around the car at speeds I can't even estimate, he's moving so fast, a few inches away on the loudest damn motorcycle I think I ever heard. . And yeah, it scared me and I was trying to see what it was in the mirrors and I swerved a little doing it. That guy almost got killed as a result. I think it is a terrible practice and if anyone ends up as road salsa as a result, I blame them.

If you wanna go fast, be responsible about it. Don't put other people in danger. Don't be that guy.

Last edited by confab; 08-11-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:01 AM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: I also don't like the distances involved.

We don't make car lanes standardized to the exact width of the car for a reason. There's a little bit of margin safety incorporated there to keep vehicles apart in the event that something happens.

I don't think it would be fair to blame someone for floating a few inches in their lane and causing problems for a driver who is intentionally eliminating that margin for safety. It's there for a reason.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

tor the 10 years of my work life, I drove a Semi, over the road. Lane splitting is just plain dangerous as it is rude.No one around you expects a lane splitter so lane spliters must be on the look our for folks that just dont see them.

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 08-11-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:38 PM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Legal is defined by the laws of man. That has no bearing on the laws of physics. It is still an unsafer maneuver. This is no different from me choosing to drive at 150 and getting hurt. I can't come crying to you for help because I chose to do something that is risky. You split and your risk multiplies whether it is some jerk or an inexperienced driver that panics or an inattentive driver or whatever. Bottom line is if you want to increase your risk, feel free. Just don't come crying when you get bit by that move. If you are not willing to assume that loss if it so happens, you shouldn't be doing that move.

Legal means you can be cited and maybe that figures into a court case or not. Legal doesn't mean that nothing will happen. It is legal for me to drive under 0.08. It doesn't negate the increased risk from moving from total sobriety to 0.04.
Agree completely and IMO it should be legal by the laws of man.

Nothing in this life is without risk. You want to determine your limitations for yourself or have some asshat determine that for you?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:53 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If someone on a bike kicked my Corvette, I would pretty much do what was necessary to catch up with that person and.... I admit that I get road rage
Old 08-11-2018, 07:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Renfield
Agree completely and IMO it should be legal by the laws of man.

Nothing in this life is without risk. You want to determine your limitations for yourself or have some asshat determine that for you?
Certainly I prefer to determine the limitations as do most of us. Problem is we don't want to suffer the fate should we exceed the limitations. IOW, I want to smoke and drink but when I get sick, I want you to take care of me. THAT, IMO is the real issue. When you decided to move in with Mom & Dad so they would cover you food and rent, you saved money. OTOH, they have their house rules and now you aren't happy but still want the benefits. If we stopped asking Big Brother to take care of our poor choices, we'd be able to tell him to go fawk off and let us make our personal choice and come what may. Unfortunately, people "Vote themselves raises" by wanting the public to take care of their problems and not want the rules so the public can limit its liabilities.

Last edited by aklim; 08-12-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:17 AM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Wow … if I were a juror, I would put that driver in prison for life.
I honestly believe you're to easy on him. It would be more fitting to find him with a very large hole in his forehead!
Old 08-12-2018, 04:00 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

After watching a few of these mishaps on Youtube, something significant strikes me about many of them - The bike is coming out of the sun at high speed, doing something no one expects.

Watch it again.. The sun is behind the rider and I seriously doubt the driver is even aware of them till the last second. I recently witnessed an accident just like this, and that was the reason for it also.

So, if you ride.. Beware when the sun is at your back. It can hide a small, nimble vehicle very effectively.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 PM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Motorcycles lane splitting or going down the shoulder is NOT legal where I'm from. I've seen many Motorcyles get pulled over and ticketed for doing that yet they all still seem to do it. IMO its unsafe as driver's are not expecting somone coming down the shoulder or between lanes and thus aren't watching for a rider in those places.

As for some jerk kicking your car while splitting lanes, that really sucks. Too bad you couldn't catch him and teach him a lesson. He sounds like a coward to kick your car and run away.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-12-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
As for some jerk kicking your car while splitting lanes, that really sucks. Too bad you couldn't catch him and teach him a lesson. He sounds like a coward to kick your car and run away.
Say you do catch up with him. Now what? Are you willing to go further when push does become shove? Also, you are assuming you can catch him and teach him a lesson INSTEAD of him teaching you a lesson by twisting you into a pretzel. He just might be a better hand to hand combat guy than you. He might be armed and might have no second thoughts about shooting you. Or if you end up killing him, what happens? Or say a cop comes along and catches the both of you for fighting. Is it worth it over some stupid car? This is the good part. The bad part is you might end up killing someone while pursuing him and now, you end up behind bars. If he killed your family, I can understand. Before you get into it, best ask yourself if you are willing to risk getting into all that.

Although, I am curious why. Who knows what insult the OP might have given him or what insult he perceived. We only know one side at this point. I also know that not too many drivers are skilled enough to catch a motorcycle weaving in and out of traffic without causing some collateral damage.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:55 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Say you do catch up with him. Now what?
I'd call 911 the second he kicked my car and attempt to follow him as best I could, to give location updates. That's what.
Old 08-13-2018, 12:05 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

I agree with Tom.

Maybe, call the police, take a picture of his license plate, his bike and him. Demand his information so he can be billed. If he decides to throw a punch then its on him.... Honestly 90% of bike riders around here are old enough to be my father or grandfather. not too intimidating.

Also no one is allowed to carry a gun up here except the police, I know its different in the states... so its unlikley he would be armed up here. However, if this 'biker' was wearing a biker gang jacket then it would be a different situation all together and I wouldn't try to catch up, but the OP didn't mention that.

Last edited by DMITTZ; 08-13-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:37 AM
2LZ
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Interesting vid.
Just for clarification, the traffic was stopped at the lights. Other cars and myself were crawling between the two trucks. This asshat came flying up from behind playing "pylon" with the stopped or crawling cars. Just so happened he decided to try to fit between the big rigs at the same time I was crawling between them.
Now, I've been riding bikes my entire life. I've done my fair share of lane splitting over the decades, but am always aware of the fact that the cars can't see me. Hell, I was looking at both corners of the big rig trailers to make sure I wouldn't scrape them. Literally crawling speed. How this moron was able to shoot through there between my car and the trucks was a miracle in itself.

To salt the wound, the Corvette hasn't been my daily commuter. It's been relegated to weekend toy. Someone at work requested that I bring it in so he could check it out. What are the odds, right?

Last edited by 2LZ; 08-13-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:49 PM
IowaClass65
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rode a street bike for 38 years. My last bike is for sale. The reason is solely due to the abundance distracted and aggressive drivers who possess absolutely no driving skills whatsoever. I made it 32 years without a cager taking me out, but it finally happened 6 years ago. The driver in front of me moved to the left turn lane with his signal on, when I was abreast of him he changed his mind and abruptly came back and hit me. I was put down into 3 lanes of rush hour traffic at 30 mph. Fortunately I was out of the hospital in 4 hours, with a severe concussion and a bruised kidney.
Things have only become worse on the roads since then. I really miss riding, and as compensation I purchased a 1992 convertible Vette this week! Its good to be here!

Quick Reply: Jackwad