Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Headlight Help! (New issue)

Old 12-03-2018, 11:19 PM
BluesQQs
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Help! (New issue)

So my left headlight was winking and motor running so broke it down and replaced the small gear that lost teeth. Everything went smooth and thought it was fixed until I put it all back together and now the motor won’t engage. If I give it a nudge it slowly opens and that’s it. I did a troubleshoot and turned the lights on with the motor disconnected from the light and it spun so the issue it’s having is with the resistance from being connected to the housing. I do know the previous owner replaced the motor and it was working but it was obvious there was a bad gear he didn’t fix. I know I put it all back together correctly so I’m at a loss. I know there’s been similar issues but nothing like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:25 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by BluesQQs
turned the lights on with the motor disconnected from the light and it spun
It's not clear what you're trying to tell us. How can the motor spin if you disconnected it?

the previous owner replaced the motor and it was working but it was obvious there was a bad gear he didn’t fix.
How could the motor work properly if it had a bad gear? This doesn't make sense, either. Things do have a way of failing with no previous warning, you know. Don't be too quick to blame the PO.

Old 12-04-2018, 09:02 AM
BluesQQs
Cruising

Let me rephrase. The motor spins when I have the motor disassembled from the light but still connected to power. I’m not that slow....

Then, when I bolt it back onto the housing the motor doesn’t want to do anything and I gues seizes up due to the resistance it’s feeling.

Last edited by BluesQQs; 12-04-2018 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:46 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 116 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

By any chance is the flat T-shaped bracket on the motor shaft engaging on the wrong side of the bracket tab?
Old 12-04-2018, 04:43 PM
BluesQQs
Cruising

I dont believe so. I made progress this afternoon as was able to replace the large gear that wound up having broken bushings and also had to align the light perfectly so that it didn’t make any contact with hood. All SHOULD be working properly but the motor moves much slower than the passenger side. Then only sometimes it goes down but it does go if I give it a nudge. I’m thinking maybe the mechanic that replaced this motor didnt use the right one or the mtoot has worn out from constant spinning when the gears were worn. All electrical contacts seem to be adequate. Just seems the motor is having trouble with the resistance
Old 12-18-2018, 01:45 AM
BluesQQs
Cruising

Not sure if I’ll still get responses to this old thread but I’m narrowed down to either the relay or motor being the issue. I checked voltage on the last connector and getting 12V at Grey when off and I think green when on. Therefore I imagine my switch and relays are good? If that’s the case I’m guessing I dislodged the connection into the motor itself when I changed the gears that were stripped. If anyone has any tips or videos to working on this headlight motor specifically that would be great. It’s just frustrating that the previous owner had a shop replace this motor and when I bought it the motor did run in both directions, unfortunately just not down now.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:28 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Does this vid help: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...A&&FORM=VDRVRV
Old 12-18-2018, 02:41 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Unfortunately, that video is for the '88-'96. The OP has an '87, which is entirely different.

Here's the correct information:"
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

It is important to lubricate the motor shaft bearings with a light weight white grease, like LibriPlate or CRC StaLube. The motor shaft needs to move on its axis (in addition to the normal rotation) in order to actuate the limit switches when the headlight door hits its stops. Also, be sure the limit switches on the motor shaft are clean.

Do you see any indication that the armature might be dragging on the motor magnets?

Last edited by Hot Rod Roy; 12-18-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 AM
BluesQQs
Cruising

Roy - thank you!

In reading that what I think my problem might be is I possiblly have the magnets surrounding the copper in the wrong direction. At one point it became dislodged so I kind of spun it until it sat back in comfortably thinking that it wouldn’t make a difference. I guess maybe I’ll have to take a look through additional pictures to determine how it should be sitting. Hoping it’s that and if not I imagine it’s the 1. brushes being worn where it’s contacting the commutator, 2. The actual wiring into the motor having poor contact or 3. I have my magnets spun improperly.

Thoughts?

Last edited by BluesQQs; 12-18-2018 at 10:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight Help! (New issue)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headlight Help! (New issue)