Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by aklim
And if he didn't? Would you be poorer? That he did, are you any richer? Why do we need to seek their approval? Like it or hate it, it is MY CAR, NOT YOUR'S. If you are not paying for it, why does your opinion of it really matter? Are we so petty that we need validation from Mr Nobody? Obviously so.
It’s just a Chevy. wgaf.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:34 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 644 Likes on 499 Posts

Not a ZR1 owner, but I have had 7 C4's.

I don't get this bickering over ZR1's vs. other C4's. They are both great cars.

I would love to have a ZR1 at some point, but my decisions to buy the base cars was simply because I do all the repairs on my own cars, and I think about replacement costs. Everything I have read on the ZR1' states they are mostly bulletproof and may never have significant issues. However, my luck doesn't run that way, so I look at the replacement parts and availability. The ZR1 motor, transmission, body etc. are all unique. If something happens to my base C4's I know I can find parts that are much more available and much cheaper.

I currently have a '95 M6 and a '96 LT4 M6. They both run pretty well. My lightly modded LT4 runs as well as my C5 lightly modded LS1. I do not have a ZR1 to compare, and I suspect the ZR1 is faster, but I doubt that I am giving away a lot of performance. Either way, ALL C4's are really fun cars to drive.

Have fun.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:48 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 571 Likes on 445 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
Now you've done it suck it bitches

BTW I own a C6 Zr1 now....... but this was/is the baddest sumbitch around and a technological masterpiece

having owned both, would you say the c4 zr-1 is the better car?

I would. And id turn that lt5 into an LPE 415 twin turbo so i could shut down the cocky newer corvette owners

Last edited by dizwiz24; 10-11-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
I would. And id turn that lt5 into an LPE 415 twin turbo so i could shut down the cocky newer corvette owners
With what? A massive built vs a stock? Is the butthurt that bad?

Last edited by aklim; 10-11-2020 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:24 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
It’s just a Chevy. wgaf.
It's just a car. Was a good platform at the time but that was then.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:29 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Watch it now,that base C4 mentality is starting to show.
I don't have a base C4 or Base C4 performance. It's not a lofty ZR1, but the timing clocks don't car about badges

I think you are 14 posts deep now.

Originally Posted by ZR-71
Whatever, I can't recall a time you ever appeared on any other thread I post on, but funny how we have a member throwing out the exact attitude being discussed.

Does it matter if they are not paying for it?
I think you missed the point... this isn't about the cost of the cars or values. It was this:
Originally Posted by KyleF
Came across someone who said they had customized ZR1 A-Molds they would sale. I asked for pictures, got a response telling me they won't fit my car and and price given out in context like I either I can't afford them, shouldn't spend that money on another C4, or just didn't know what I was asking about. Not sure of which, but it was annoying and never received pictures. However based on some of the above, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
and some posts I have seen it the past. As we have a fellow member on this thread here not failing to represent for example. However, I told the person I wasn't sure how to respond and just walked away.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I think you missed the point... this isn't about the cost of the cars or values. It was this:

Originally Posted by KyleF View Post
Came across someone who said they had customized ZR1 A-Molds they would sale. I asked for pictures, got a response telling me they won't fit my car and and price given out in context like I either I can't afford them, shouldn't spend that money on another C4, or just didn't know what I was asking about. Not sure of which, but it was annoying and never received pictures. However based on some of the above, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
and some posts I have seen it the past. As we have a fellow member on this thread here not failing to represent for example. However, I told the person I wasn't sure how to respond and just walked away.
I've had vendors of parts behave like that or "IF you don't like it the way it is, I'm sure someone will." I wasn't even asking about ZR1 stuff. Regular C4 body parts. Problem is, they know they have you by the short and curlies. Doesn't matter if it is anything else. When a vendor knows he has you and doesn't care if you buy or not, that is the problem. I have had that with some obsolete parts for an 01 Excursion too. It's all about knowing that you need them more than they need you. When they know that there is competition from the factory, that is a different story. At which time, they are more willing to kiss your *** to buy their scrap stuff.

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"? I don't need you, I crap all over you. I need you and suddenly, you are King Stud.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:06 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by WydGlydJim
I actually like the "old style" front end, a '90 is my favorite ZR-1 body style, because it retains that, as well as the black rub strip......it really pops on certain colors
Have to agree...

Old 10-12-2020, 10:39 AM
KyleF
Drifting

I've had vendors of parts behave like that or "IF you don't like it the way it is, I'm sure someone will." I wasn't even asking about ZR1 stuff. Regular C4 body parts. Problem is, they know they have you by the short and curlies. Doesn't matter if it is anything else. When a vendor knows he has you and doesn't care if you buy or not, that is the problem. I have had that with some obsolete parts for an 01 Excursion too. It's all about knowing that you need them more than they need you. When they know that there is competition from the factory, that is a different story. At which time, they are more willing to kiss your *** to buy their scrap stuff.

Have you ever listened to the lyrics of "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer"? I don't need you, I crap all over you. I need you and suddenly, you are King Stud.
I don't need him for a set of wheels, there are a lot of C4 Options out there. Not sure of your point, bedsides who buys anything used without seeing it, especially if it has been "customized"? I am not sure of where you are going but it is in no relation to the event at hand. Dude generally assumed I couldn't, wouldn't, or shouldn't spend money on the wheels and wouldn't even show them as requested.

Rare can drive the price, if that is your point, OK. I agree. I didn't even balk at price, I asked for pictures to see if the customization was to my liking. Never even got to the point of caring about price.

Last edited by KyleF; 10-12-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-12-2020, 10:52 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

So I had a Callaway Twin Turbo that make well over 500hp/700lbft. I now have a Callaway C6 Grand Sport that makes about 620hp.

I can absolutely tell you which is the better car but you probably don't need me to. Which one is more fun to drive? Depends on the purpose. Time and tech move on, there is no stopping that, but the soul of the older car is a great thing.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 10-12-2020 at 12:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
KMS88Cal#16 (10-12-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 12:39 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I don't need him for a set of wheels, there are a lot of C4 Options out there. Not sure of your point, bedsides who buys anything used without seeing it, especially if it has been "customized"? I am not sure of where you are going but it is in no relation to the event at hand. Dude generally assumed I couldn't, wouldn't, or shouldn't spend money on the wheels and wouldn't even show them as requested.

Rare can drive the price, if that is your point, OK. I agree. I didn't even balk at price, I asked for pictures to see if the customization was to my liking. Never even got to the point of caring about price.
My point is that sellers tend to get crappy when they know that the factory doesn't make it anymore and they are the only source. I owned an 89 Merkur Xr4Ti and a Scorpio and this C4 that have been difficult to get stuff from once OEM discontinued stuff. I have had a vendor balk at me when I asked for a picture of the item I would be getting. "I really don't have the time to go take individual pictures. " was the answer when I queried if it was the one in the picture and if he would take a picture of the one I am getting. I guess I am trying to say that you are more likely to get a crappy attitude when they corner the market on the part. So yes, your experience of those custom molds aren't something I am unfamiliar with. I won't say all the vendors are bad. Sone are decent but it has been my observation that once they know that you have no OEM support, it does seem like an attitude changer. Thing is, they know someone will buy it even if you don't. Worst part is, I have to choose between tolerating your bad attitude or not having the part. Kinda why after 3 orphaned cars, I really don't know that I want to get another one.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:27 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,454 Posts

To the OP,

ive had 3 L98 c4’s and one 91Z

The 91Z is soooooo much better of an engine than my L98’s were ....the driving experience.....its like no other engine ive ever driven...feeling the engine pull to 7000 rpm, out pulling porsche gt3’s (no idea what year it was, i was just surprised i beat it at the strip)

i am so in love with the c4 LT5

that said, i do have another 1990 L98 with 200k miles on i just bought for $2500 that is being turned into a track car.

I live allll c4’s, even warming up to 84’s.....been following that renegade intake thread...too bad it looks like thats off the rails as those cars are cheap as chips!!!

C4 LT5 with black tag gear whine is like a drug for me.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:22 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,260 Posts

Old 10-12-2020, 07:32 PM
Zidane
Le Mans Master

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by FASTAZU
Well having owned 10 C4's, 3-84, 2-95, 1 96 LT4, 2-90 ZR-1, 1-93 ZR-1, 1-91 ZR-1. I have enjoyed all of them and have respect for all of them. Own what you want.
This. They're all cool in their own ways. Drive and enjoy!
Old 10-12-2020, 11:45 PM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Stock vs stock, the C6 Zr1 will blow the doors off of the stock C4 ZR-1....but the LT-5 in a nice C4 ZR-1 is a fantastic driving experience. 415 stroker LT-5 vs LS9..hmm very close, I'll give the edge to the stroker, but not by much, but the C6 is simply a nicer more docile package........However, my C6 only has 10k on the clock, so I would need to drive a 10k stroker C4 for the exact comparison.....I was just tired of climbing over the roll cage!

Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 AM
KyleF
Drifting

My point is that sellers tend to get crappy when they know that the factory doesn't make it anymore and they are the only source. I owned an 89 Merkur Xr4Ti and a Scorpio and this C4 that have been difficult to get stuff from once OEM discontinued stuff. I have had a vendor balk at me when I asked for a picture of the item I would be getting. "I really don't have the time to go take individual pictures. " was the answer when I queried if it was the one in the picture and if he would take a picture of the one I am getting. I guess I am trying to say that you are more likely to get a crappy attitude when they corner the market on the part. So yes, your experience of those custom molds aren't something I am unfamiliar with. I won't say all the vendors are bad. Sone are decent but it has been my observation that once they know that you have no OEM support, it does seem like an attitude changer. Thing is, they know someone will buy it even if you don't. Worst part is, I have to choose between tolerating your bad attitude or not having the part. Kinda why after 3 orphaned cars, I really don't know that I want to get another one.
I am with you, but when you say it is custom... how is one supposed to know what it looks like?
Old 10-13-2020, 11:29 AM
1985 Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 393 Likes on 237 Posts

I rarely see C4s when out in my ZR-1, maybe one a month. C6 and C7s are everywhere and I get waves from them all the time. I like other C4 models and nothing wrong with any of them, but some of us gravitate to ZR-1s like some do towards big blocks or FI cars. Vast majority driving C4s on today’s roads probably don’t even know what a ZR-1 is anyway. I chatted briefly with someone at stoplight that questioned if mine was a ZR because it didn’t sound supercharged. Hard to be snooty when people don’t even know your car exists.

Last edited by 1985 Corvette; 10-13-2020 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What do ZR1 Owners think of other C4s?

Old 10-13-2020, 11:52 AM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
I don't wave at anybody,the wave is dead.

ove the 50 or so vettes ive passed in the ost few years, ive had the wave back from all but 3 or 4. 👍
Old 10-13-2020, 11:58 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I am with you, but when you say it is custom... how is one supposed to know what it looks like?
Without pictures? I don't know how any more than I know how the item looks when all you list is a picture of the item in a different color. And when I ask for the picture of that item, you get pissy with me. So my thought is that the attitude is brought on because they know we, as a group will be desperate enough that they don't have to try that hard. Again, Take it or leave it seems to be their attitude because you have no options.

So yes, I understand where your issue is where they expect you to buy it to see it. The attitude seems more prevalent in the orphaned cars as opposed to a 2015 F350, for example.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:09 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by VikingTrad3r
ove the 50 or so vettes ive passed in the ost few years, ive had the wave back from all but 3 or 4. 👍
The way I see it, if you wave back, fine. If not, it doesn't matter. I'm neither richer nor poorer. My thought it is regional. Some areas they are more conscious about it, some, no. Kinda like my neighborhood. Many people wave at you and in another, less. IMO, if you really want to wave, just wave whether they return it or not. Maybe, like me, they don't often look out for these things. Who knows what is on their mind. If you are going to insist that they wave back, it is going to be miserable so either get used to it the way it is or stop waving altogether and have no expectations.

Quick Reply: What do ZR1 Owners think of other C4s?