C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What do ZR1 Owners think of other C4s?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 12:39 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
The way I see it, if you wave back, fine. If not, it doesn't matter. I'm neither richer nor poorer. My thought it is regional. Some areas they are more conscious about it, some, no. Kinda like my neighborhood. Many people wave at you and in another, less. IMO, if you really want to wave, just wave whether they return it or not. Maybe, like me, they don't often look out for these things. Who knows what is on their mind. If you are going to insist that they wave back, it is going to be miserable so either get used to it the way it is or stop waving altogether and have no expectations.
I wave and get a return wave in my Corvette, Jeep, and when I had a motorcycle. Used to have some Challenger drivers wave at me in the Challenger I used to DD. I usually waved back then too, but didn't know it was a thing. It appears in the mid-west, the wave is alive and well and has been since the 90s for 'Vettes.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:50 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,972 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
I wave and get a return wave in my Corvette, Jeep, and when I had a motorcycle. Used to have some Challenger drivers wave at me in the Challenger I used to DD. I usually waved back then too, but didn't know it was a thing. It appears in the mid-west, the wave is alive and well and has been since the 90s for 'Vettes.
Motorcycle seems to be much more consistent with their peace sign wave. Now if you are a metric biker or a metric trike like we are, it isn't as much as a HD to HD. Or at least that was the impression I got when I rode a 2 wheel HD and now we are a Can Am Spyder trike. I get it. It's something that basically declares you are part of a brotherhood when you wave in a vette. However, not everybody wants to be in the brotherhood nor did we sign up for it when we bought a vette. As such, we can't really force membership so if you wave to me, I wave back. If I see you and decide to wave and you do return the wave, fine. If not, I know that nobody gave me papers to sign for induction into the brotherhood of the corvette so no offense taken. We cannot demand they join against their will and pay this due.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:08 PM
The Chucker
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

People that define their self-worth based on the car in their garage aren't really the people I want to hang out with, no matter what they drive.
The following 3 users liked this post by The Chucker:
FASTAZU (10-14-2020), KyleF (10-14-2020), TXGS507 (10-14-2020)
Old 10-14-2020, 08:28 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Motorcycle seems to be much more consistent with their peace sign wave. Now if you are a metric biker or a metric trike like we are, it isn't as much as a HD to HD. Or at least that was the impression I got when I rode a 2 wheel HD and now we are a Can Am Spyder trike. I get it. It's something that basically declares you are part of a brotherhood when you wave in a vette. However, not everybody wants to be in the brotherhood nor did we sign up for it when we bought a vette. As such, we can't really force membership so if you wave to me, I wave back. If I see you and decide to wave and you do return the wave, fine. If not, I know that nobody gave me papers to sign for induction into the brotherhood of the corvette so no offense taken. We cannot demand they join against their will and pay this due.
I rode a Metric bike in CA... I would venture to say it was more consistent to get waves there as most rode the metric style. Yes, rare an HD guy waves at anyone else, but that is more of their problem.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:59 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 553 Likes on 359 Posts

Without pictures? I don't know how any more than I know how the item looks when all you list is a picture of the item in a different color. And when I ask for the picture of that item, you get pissy with me. So my thought is that the attitude is brought on because they know we, as a group will be desperate enough that they don't have to try that hard. Again, Take it or leave it seems to be their attitude because you have no options.

So yes, I understand where your issue is where they expect you to buy it to see it. The attitude seems more prevalent in the orphaned cars as opposed to a 2015 F350, for example.
I think it also makes a difference if the seller is doing this as a "one off" or if it is their line of business. If it is their line of business, they have an obligation, I believe, to answer your questions. If it is not, not so much. Here is an example.

I recently sold a 92-93 ECM to a member here. My conditions and the facts about the item were clearly stated to those inquiring. A few months ago, I had made a post asking what would be a reasonable price. This is what my price was based on. It was a refurbished, never been used, still in the box one that I bought years ago as a spare. Never needed it. I also couldn't have cared less whether it sold or not. It sat on my shelf for at least 10 years but I thought it might help someone out because of its rareity. The amount of BS that filled my PM box was incredible. "Where did I get it", "Who refurbished it", "Send pictures",(then send a picture of the other side), "How much did you pay for it?", "What will you take for it?", and on and on. Everyone thinks they are the only person interested.

The one I responded to was a nice guy from Colorado. His only question was "What's the best way of getting the money to you?" Sold!
Old 10-14-2020, 06:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by arbee
I think it also makes a difference if the seller is doing this as a "one off" or if it is their line of business. If it is their line of business, they have an obligation, I believe, to answer your questions. If it is not, not so much. Here is an example.

I recently sold a 92-93 ECM to a member here. My conditions and the facts about the item were clearly stated to those inquiring. A few months ago, I had made a post asking what would be a reasonable price. This is what my price was based on. It was a refurbished, never been used, still in the box one that I bought years ago as a spare. Never needed it. I also couldn't have cared less whether it sold or not. It sat on my shelf for at least 10 years but I thought it might help someone out because of its rareity. The amount of BS that filled my PM box was incredible. "Where did I get it", "Who refurbished it", "Send pictures",(then send a picture of the other side), "How much did you pay for it?", "What will you take for it?", and on and on. Everyone thinks they are the only person interested.

The one I responded to was a nice guy from Colorado. His only question was "What's the best way of getting the money to you?" Sold!
In my book, the seller has the obligation to answer any and all questions. After all, you cannot reasonably expect me to pay you for an unknown item. I actually encourage people to get a PDI when they are buying my cars. After the money changes hands, I don't want to know about the transaction even if it went up in a fireball. I give all pictures and information I have freely. Once the deal is done, we don't talk anymore.

It has come to the point that sometimes, I really don't want to sell something and would rather toss it or just give it away to avoid the hassle. If it is above a certain amount, I will try to sell it. Below that, I toss or give just to avoid the BS I am certain to get. If I gave it to you, I'd still have to screw around with boxing it up and mailing it which makes tossing it a whole lot more attractive. I have had many items that I tossed because of exactly what you just said.

Those kind of buyers are few and far between. Usually (several times already), it has been "I will mail you a certified check with next day Fedex for more than the amount and you give my friend the balance and keep a bit for yourself.".
Old 10-14-2020, 06:54 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

In my book, the seller has the obligation to answer any and all questions. After all, you cannot reasonably expect me to pay you for an unknown item. I actually encourage people to get a PDI when they are buying my cars. After the money changes hands, I don't want to know about the transaction even if it went up in a fireball. I give all pictures and information I have freely. Once the deal is done, we don't talk anymore.

It has come to the point that sometimes, I really don't want to sell something and would rather toss it or just give it away to avoid the hassle. If it is above a certain amount, I will try to sell it. Below that, I toss or give just to avoid the BS I am certain to get. If I gave it to you, I'd still have to screw around with boxing it up and mailing it which makes tossing it a whole lot more attractive. I have had many items that I tossed because of exactly what you just said.

Those kind of buyers are few and far between. Usually (several times already), it has been "I will mail you a certified check with next day Fedex for more than the amount and you give my friend the balance and keep a bit for yourself.".
I agree with everything you said except the first statement. I am under zero obligation to answer anything to anybody. I outlined the condition of the item and the condition of the sale.(send me the money, when cheque clears I send you the ECM). Take it or leave it. The man with the gold makes the rules. As I mentioned, I couldn't care less whether it sold or remained on my shelf for another ten years.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:49 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I agree with everything you said except the first statement. I am under zero obligation to answer anything to anybody. I outlined the condition of the item and the condition of the sale.(send me the money, when cheque clears I send you the ECM). Take it or leave it. The man with the gold makes the rules. As I mentioned, I couldn't care less whether it sold or remained on my shelf for another ten years.
I don't follow. IF I am the buyer, by your definition, I have the gold so I make the rules. Besides, your case is different. IF you don't care if it sells or not, you are right. I am under no obligation to buy and you are under no obligation to answer and from my standpoint, I would pass and life is good.

What happens sometimes is the buyer gets the item and then has issues and leaves bad feedback. So this gives problems down the road. But again, if you don't care if anything else you have is sold, no problem. If you want to have things sell easier, or at least, not sell harder, it becomes more tricky. I have personally seen a guy buy 2 size 65 batteries for his diesel truck that was the cheapest he could get. They were collectively 200 CCA below spec. In the summer is was OK but in the winter it was terrible. Who do you think he blamed in front of the other customers for the problem? He wanted the parts shop to give him a free upgrade to the battery he should have bought. Sorry but this is a different world from what I grew up with. This is a "Blame others world". I want to cover my bases because I know I am going to get blamed. So as I said, either I put up with it and get it sold or I just throw it away/give it away.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:41 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

I don't follow. IF I am the buyer, by your definition, I have the gold so I make the rules. Besides, your case is different. IF you don't care if it sells or not, you are right. I am under no obligation to buy and you are under no obligation to answer and from my standpoint, I would pass and life is good.

What happens sometimes is the buyer gets the item and then has issues and leaves bad feedback. So this gives problems down the road. But again, if you don't care if anything else you have is sold, no problem. If you want to have things sell easier, or at least, not sell harder, it becomes more tricky. I have personally seen a guy buy 2 size 65 batteries for his diesel truck that was the cheapest he could get. They were collectively 200 CCA below spec. In the summer is was OK but in the winter it was terrible. Who do you think he blamed in front of the other customers for the problem? He wanted the parts shop to give him a free upgrade to the battery he should have bought. Sorry but this is a different world from what I grew up with. This is a "Blame others world". I want to cover my bases because I know I am going to get blamed. So as I said, either I put up with it and get it sold or I just throw it away/give it away.
Not so. The ECM is more valuable to the buyer than the money is to me. I have tons of money, the buyer does not have numerous ECM's. Therefore, what I possess is more valuable, hence I have the gold and make the rules.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:55 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Well this little pissing match has denigrated into ridiculous...people with tons of money don’t hang out in the C4 section.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:45 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Well this little pissing match has denigrated into ridiculous...people with tons of money don’t hang out in the C4 section.

At what point do you see this as a pissing match. Me and Aklim are having a discussion. In your mind, is there anything wrong with that? And for the record, nobody tells me where I can and can't "hang out". No one was talking to you but apparently that doesn't matter to you.

Last edited by arbee; 10-14-2020 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:13 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

At what point do you see this as a pissing match. Me and Aklim are having a discussion. In your mind, is there anything wrong with that? And for the record, nobody tells me where I can and can't "hang out". No one was talking to you but apparently that doesn't matter to you.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:15 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Btw, thanks for making my point.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:49 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Define "tons of money"...
I do pretty well... 2012 ZR1, 08Z06,07TBSS, just picked up an 09 CTSV and my lowly 96 Grand Sport.... I don't "hang" out here... But i enjoy visiting from time to time... lol
Old 10-15-2020, 10:55 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TXGS507
Define "tons of money"...
I do pretty well... 2012 ZR1, 08Z06,07TBSS, just picked up an 09 CTSV and my lowly 96 Grand Sport.... I don't "hang" out here... But i enjoy visiting from time to time... lol

it was a joke.
The following users liked this post:
TXGS507 (10-15-2020)
Old 10-15-2020, 12:42 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Not so. The ECM is more valuable to the buyer than the money is to me. I have tons of money, the buyer does not have numerous ECM's. Therefore, what I possess is more valuable, hence I have the gold and make the rules.
That is the reason I moved away from the orphaned cars. To me, a good relationship is a 2 way street. When the other party has the upper hand, I become a dependent. My MBs haven't given me that issue and the Ford Excursion is ok for now but the 2 Merkurs and the C4 have been that way. On my end, I do mark up stuff for sale so there is a little bit that justifies my time. If I can't or won't do it, for whatever reasons, I just shove it into the trash. For the few bucks, it isn't worth the hassle of taking it off and packing it up and answering any questions.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:01 AM
krackenvette
Race Director

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

I think ZR1 owners just own 2 gold chains vice one..
I love the ZR1 body. I would love to own one. Not sure USAA would give me a decent rate though.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:56 PM
86 Vette Man
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be nice to own a C4 ZR1 but I will settle of my 86 roadster 235 hp is enough for this 71 year old man. The one thing that I don't like about the C4 ZR1 and the restyling of the regular 91 through 96 C4 is the rear end.. I think the rear end styling of the 84 through 90 stock C4 is much better especially with the rounded tail lights. I prefer to own a C4 roadster than a coupe any day. How ever I like all Corvettes no matter what year they are. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: What do ZR1 Owners think of other C4s?