C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Chevy ZZ572

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 03:01 PM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy ZZ572

Has anyone tried stuffing one of these into a C4 yet? I'm getting an itch. It would take a mighty big shoe horn to stuff one in my 85 but after seeing Jay Leno's 55 Buick Roadmaster and what it can do with 620 hp and torque....oh my God! No one else in Chattanooga, Tennessee would have anything like it! Someone talk some sense into me quick!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:14 PM
da747
Instructor

thats a tall deck block which is already an inch taller than a standard big block which is already hard to fit. a carb likely wont work with a stock hood. I had once seen a pic on the lingenfelter website of a C4 with a 502 that had an all custom efi. it was so low that if fit almost totally between the valve covers. i think you would need a custom setup like that. im sure u could put in a nuclear engine if u have the $$$.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by drumboytroy
Has anyone tried stuffing one of these into a C4 yet? I'm getting an itch. It would take a mighty big shoe horn to stuff one in my 85 but after seeing Jay Leno's 55 Buick Roadmaster and what it can do with 620 hp and torque....oh my God! No one else in Chattanooga, Tennessee would have anything like it! Someone talk some sense into me quick!
It has been done a number of times... 2 items that may work for you is a crankfire ignition system and a Toledo pro hood... these might help solve some clearance problems...

As neat as a BB may sound and look... with small block power rising as it is... a strong 383 crate motor might work better for you... or, if your really want a killer street machine... do a twin turbo set up... That would give you the equivilent of over 700 cubes at 15 lbs of boost... if that ain't enough for you... then no one will be able to talk sense into you... were also talking serious money here now...

If I had deep pockets I would check on the availibilty of the new LS7 motor coming out in the new Z06... 500 civilized horses and close to a 1/4 ton of torque... that would make you the "torque of the town"
Plus... no weight issues with the front suspension... Now, what do you think???
Old 01-26-2005, 09:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Holy schiatz!! That's a LOT for a c4-Hope you got a 9 inch laying around! Post pics if you do this!!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 PM
BRICHC4
Pro

you'd be better off looking at either a 427 or a 454 sm block
Old 01-27-2005, 12:47 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by da747
thats a tall deck block which is already an inch taller than a standard big block which is already hard to fit. a carb likely wont work with a stock hood. I had once seen a pic on the lingenfelter website of a C4 with a 502 that had an all custom efi. it was so low that if fit almost totally between the valve covers. i think you would need a custom setup like that. im sure u could put in a nuclear engine if u have the $$$.

I installed one of them 572's into a 86 pick up that had a 502 installed, and it was a PITA to install in a truck. I can't even imagine doing it in a C4, but all it takes is money and some imagination and some good old fashioned engineering.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:11 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Is that your cars interior in your avatar ?
Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 AM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
Is that your cars interior in your avatar ?
Yes, it's flame red trimed with Viper Racing Yellow. I go for different.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:53 AM
drumboytroy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bigvmaxx
It has been done a number of times... 2 items that may work for you is a crankfire ignition system and a Toledo pro hood... these might help solve some clearance problems...

As neat as a BB may sound and look... with small block power rising as it is... a strong 383 crate motor might work better for you... or, if your really want a killer street machine... do a twin turbo set up... That would give you the equivilent of over 700 cubes at 15 lbs of boost... if that ain't enough for you... then no one will be able to talk sense into you... were also talking serious money here now...

If I had deep pockets I would check on the availibilty of the new LS7 motor coming out in the new Z06... 500 civilized horses and close to a 1/4 ton of torque... that would make you the "torque of the town"
Plus... no weight issues with the front suspension... Now, what do you think???
I'm sure that would be a more sensable option than the BB. I'm just big on not having the same toys as all the other children. I like the "Shock and Awe" approach but it would be nice to do it in a manner where someone looking at the outside of my car wouldn't suspect that there was a monster inside. I know that wouldn't be the case with the 572. That was what was so great about Jay Leno's 55 Buick. It looked bone stock but at 60 mph he could stomp it and melt the tires. WOW! I'll probably stick to SB blown or turbo. That 572 just sounded so incredible!
Old 01-27-2005, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

One of the guys in my Corvette Club is puting a ZZ572 in his 63 Grand Sport replica. Tube frame, C4 suspension and one big gorilla of a motor. I will post some pics once he gets it completed. Should be a real beast, he had the heads done and he should be making close to 800 hp. CRAZY BASTARD, it should be interesting though driving around scaring small children until they wet themselves.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:41 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure that would be a more sensable option than the BB. I'm just big on not having the same toys as all the other children. I like the "Shock and Awe" approach but it would be nice to do it in a manner where someone looking at the outside of my car wouldn't suspect that there was a monster inside. I know that wouldn't be the case with the 572. That was what was so great about Jay Leno's 55 Buick. It looked bone stock but at 60 mph he could stomp it and melt the tires. WOW! I'll probably stick to SB blown or turbo. That 572 just sounded so incredible!
Have you seen Jay Leno's Toronado 425 LSX crate motor?

His guys developed the engine in conjunction with GMPP, and it's a probable crate motor in the near future. In his car it's a twin turbo with a C5 rear end assy. I have the engine picture as my computer background right now.

Here's the link where you can grab some pictures of it.
Leno's LSx crate motor

Last edited by FELNGR8; 01-27-2005 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Zrxmax
Race Director

I'm sure that would be a more sensable option than the BB. I'm just big on not having the same toys as all the other children.
Children? How about ego maniac ? Great minds think alike ! That is why I have a ZR-1...its not a monster, but runs good enough for me...
I like the "Shock and Awe" approach but it would be nice to do it in a manner where someone looking at the outside of my car wouldn't suspect that there was a monster inside.
I think the highly developed TT SB today can give you the Shock & Awe... and you won't see to many others around.... and if you do.... just think of the fun you could have !!
I know that wouldn't be the case with the 572. That was what was so great about Jay Leno's 55 Buick. It looked bone stock but at 60 mph he could stomp it and melt the tires. WOW! I'll probably stick to SB blown or turbo. That 572 just sounded so incredible!
I agree the 572 is great motor... this reminds me of a friend I know who just put together a 632 Merlin motor in a 70 Camaro.... low compression pump gas motor with close to 800 hp... it still blows my mind just thinking about it.... twice the power of my car for close to $11K... I wonder how fast I could go with that setup in my car ?? Talk about a driveline tweaker !! What was the name of that game show? The Weakest Link ? Or in my case, the missing link !!
BTW... Jay Leno ( one of my favorite car guys ) is always going to have the coolest rides... Jay knows cars and thinks outside the box...

Last edited by Zrxmax; 01-28-2005 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 05:19 AM
Draven
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by FELNGR8
Have you seen Jay Leno's Toronado 425 LSX crate motor?

His guys developed the engine in conjunction with GMPP, and it's a probable crate motor in the near future. In his car it's a twin turbo with a C5 rear end assy. I have the engine picture as my computer background right now.

Here's the link where you can grab some pictures of it.
Leno's LSx crate motor
I saw that car built on whatever show they did for it. Wow.

-Joe
Old 01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

I go for different.
Well then, you don't want to go with a Big Block in your C4! Heck, everybody's either heard of one or seen a few in person. - No, seriously.

If you really want different, go with a 6 cyl. - No, seriously...again.

There is one guy with a 6cyl (and a BIG HONKING turbo on it) on the forum and he lives in Canada, so you would be the only one in the country. Anybody else know of one?????

Oh, and if you are wondering about performance; if I recall correctly, he beat a BB equiped C4 in the Crovetteforum Cruise-in drag race contest two years ago..

Get notified of new replies

To Chevy ZZ572

Quick Reply: Chevy ZZ572