C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Science Behind Picking Idle setting?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 08:37 AM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Science Behind Picking Idle setting?

One option for that made me think was the ability to set your idle speed. If you are going to mod off of stock value, what are the considerations and reasons for doing so?
Old 02-22-2005, 08:42 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbomill
One option for that made me think was the ability to set your idle speed. If you are going to mod off of stock value, what are the considerations and reasons for doing so?
To my knowledge, you cannot change idle speed unless you change the programming in the chip. We have tried and failed. Most cams require bumping up the idle speed to smooth idle and prevent stalling. My 219 cam gets smoother at 750 but is very smooth at 850.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You have to speed the idle up to smooth up a rough idling cam. I still like to keep the idle pretty low because honestly that's half the point of the cam! Mine idles around 800 or so when fully warmed up as oppsed to the 500 that it would want to do stock. It would very likely stall at 500 with the current cam.

You do have to adjust it in the computer. There are ways to "cheat" it but the computer will correct for it eventually. If you cheat it too far it'll get out of the computer's range of adjustment and then it'll give you strange driveability problems.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:44 AM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pete K
To my knowledge, you cannot change idle speed unless you change the programming in the chip. We have tried and failed. Most cams require bumping up the idle speed to smooth idle and prevent stalling. My 219 cam gets smoother at 750 but is very smooth at 850.
Oh, my bad. I am going to get a chip, and the request form did indeed have an entry for the idle setting. As I have ah LPE 211 and the Stage III heads from PP&C, I was wondering if I should up it.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:46 AM
jimbomill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
You have to speed the idle up to smooth up a rough idling cam. I still like to keep the idle pretty low because honestly that's half the point of the cam! Mine idles around 800 or so when fully warmed up as oppsed to the 500 that it would want to do stock. It would very likely stall at 500 with the current cam.

You do have to adjust it in the computer. There are ways to "cheat" it but the computer will correct for it eventually. If you cheat it too far it'll get out of the computer's range of adjustment and then it'll give you strange driveability problems.
I thought stock on a '92 was 750?

Get notified of new replies

To Science Behind Picking Idle setting?

Quick Reply: Science Behind Picking Idle setting?