C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

This truly solved my "hunting for idle" problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 08:20 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off.
A lot of people have had sucess with Alvin's tunes. It doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. Should he be blamed when kopbet has no idea for sure if it is the chip. No, but it is a possibility. He is human you know. Kopbet, don't blame him. Try to rule out other stuff first.

Also, if it is due to the fact that you are running rich, go to a dyno and have them run a AFR probe in your exhaust. (Preferrably not at the tailpipe) Or better yet, use a scanner to determine what your O2 sensor is saying.

I think it may be time to call in the big boys.
There are so many variables and there is so much I, and I am sure others, are missing because of this being online.

If you are so dead set on it being the chip.
Swap to your stock chip first.
Just to see what happens, it only takes a minutes where as injectors will take a while.
Then go ahead and swap injectors and see if it goes away.
This will eliminate the chip and possibly the injectors as the problem if it doesn't.

You need to try to eliminate the problems one by one systematically. Do that. And post the results after each step.

Have you changed plugs recently.
This is a wild geuss but did you put performance ones in?
It almost sounds like you put in plugs that are too cold.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by q2blaster@work
My opinion is this, he has already frustrated himself to the point he's not thinking rational, If I knew the answer I would try and help him, what ever it took. I think he should bite the bullet and take it to somebody who knows and just get it repaired. As far as my opinion being kept to myself, every time I see you insulting somebody from now on you can bet I will put in my two cents! If you have the knowledge your supposed to, why dont you explain away. Otherwise try and be a little compassionate to people.

p.s.

have a nice day!

Thank you for understanding. People here sometimes don't get it and love to bash the ideas of another because the purpose I have for my plans, even my future engine building suggestions do not match the general opinion. e.g. hating Caboboy's 421 cubic inch setup with a mild 219/219 cam and AFR 190 heads. Might make only 360 some RWHP @ 4500 rpms but the RWTQ is over 500 ft-lbs. That's enough to put a hurtin' on most of the strip cars here.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
to the original poster, i'm re-posting this advice, its your best bet:

and don't you dare even insinuate that pcmforless has anything to do with your current problems. i too, hope that alvin reads this thread. he would crap his pants.
Listen you ****ing stupid ***hole! I am not bashing on Alvin's tune. I was constructively criticizing it. Yeah I hope Alvin reads this thread to after I send him my current datalog. I see that he probably would be more than happy to retune it again free of charge. You might think I'm that stupid but when I once worked on the other end of the spectrum, aka 4 cylinder imports, I was well respected by my peers when I helped them tune for a forced induction application. It sasn't that hard when I was able to swap much better engines in a light Honda to get them rolling. Yeah, criticize me for that, you stupid mother******!! Just because I came here and traded up for an American sports car doesn't mean I'm that ****ing stupid.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by USAsOnlyWay
First off.
A lot of people have had sucess with Alvin's tunes. It doesn't mean he can't make a mistake. Should he be blamed when kopbet has no idea for sure if it is the chip. No, but it is a possibility. He is human you know. Kopbet, don't blame him. Try to rule out other stuff first.

Also, if it is due to the fact that you are running rich, go to a dyno and have them run a AFR probe in your exhaust. (Preferrably not at the tailpipe) Or better yet, use a scanner to determine what your O2 sensor is saying.

I think it may be time to call in the big boys.
There are so many variables and there is so much I, and I am sure others, are missing because of this being online.

If you are so dead set on it being the chip.
Swap to your stock chip first.
Just to see what happens, it only takes a minutes where as injectors will take a while.
Then go ahead and swap injectors and see if it goes away.
This will eliminate the chip and possibly the injectors as the problem if it doesn't.

You need to try to eliminate the problems one by one systematically. Do that. And post the results after each step.

Have you changed plugs recently.
This is a wild geuss but did you put performance ones in?
It almost sounds like you put in plugs that are too cold.
It is also possible that my blue top Bosch injectors are flowing a lot more than 24 lbs/hr. That can explain my rich condition and the 120+ IAC counts. Some companies/tuners have even said that their 24 lb injectors can flow well above 28 lbs/hr, leaving the customer with a rich condition. Yes, that clearly states why my computer still throws a code 45 every once in awhile.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:39 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Well crap man. Have you pulled your plugs?

Are they all wet and sooty?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:47 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Unless an injector is bad, the Boschs shouldn't be an issue. 24#ers here, stock L98 no problems.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:49 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Well crap man. Have you pulled your plugs?

Are they all wet and sooty?
Yes, I have done that. There was some carbon buildup on them after the 10,000 miles I put on the car. I got 8 Autolite plugs for a buck twenty each and put them on with a coat of anti-seize. I also got an IAC for $30. Felt like it ran better but yes, indeed, I still had that idle problem when I plugged the EVAP canister hose back to the TB vacuum port. In fact and along to go with that, I have the TPS set at .54v and the base idle set at 500 rpms. There either has to be a problem with the tune or that I am still simply running too rich. Even if Alvin did restore 99% driveability with the most current tune I have + the 24 lb injectors, I still had this idle problem since Day 1 of owning my Vette. Its getting rediculous...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:00 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Dude, if you are running rich you will see it on the plugs.
Black is rich
Brown is fine.
Go pull em now.
This will resolve the chip/injector issue.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:03 PM
CFI-EFI
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kopbet89c4
It is also possible that my blue top Bosch injectors are flowing a lot more than 24 lbs/hr. That can explain my rich condition and the 120+ IAC counts.
Fuel injector flow and IAC counts have nothing to do with one another. It sounds as though you need to take a couple if steps back and consider what is really happening, here, or find someone that can tell you. You are and getting nowhere.

RACE ON!!!
Old 11-15-2005, 09:18 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Actually, I am trying to get him to systematically check off that the chip/injectors aren't the problem. At least thats why I am telling him to go pull the plugs.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:25 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Dude, if you are running rich you will see it on the plugs.
Black is rich
Brown is fine.
Go pull em now.
This will resolve the chip/injector issue.
The old ones with 10k miles on them were black with moderate build up. When I get on the dyno and get the results, I'll make sure the guy uses a wideband to see what really is going on. I will send them to Alvin along with the chip.

Here's a little bit of history about my Corvette ownership:

About 2-3 weeks after I owned the car, the dyno on the stock intake, base and plenum was 212 rwhp @ 4100 rpms and 314 rwtq @ 2600 rpms. That was with a 12:1 A/F ratio. 3 more passes on the dyno led me to believe that my power wasn't going to improve with the high coolant temp.

Last recent dyno result with SuperRam, 24 lb injectors + Alvin's tune was 226 rwhp @ 4800 rpms and 325 rwtq @ 3500 rpms. Couple more runs made me think that I couldn't top that because it was 1-2 hp less than the first time. There was no A/F result then because the WB wasn't working well at the time.

Last edited by kopbet89c4; 11-15-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

can someone tell me why this testosterone raising thread has not been locked? If some folks want to yank vacuum lines, or drill holes in their TB plates, or rig up a vacuum line through the firewall so they can blow air into their intake to fix their idle problems, more power to them....

BUT, posts such as this simply have no place on CF, as some more junior C4 owners may take this as a real "fix" for their idle problems, when in fact, it is only a bandaid, masking the true fault in your induction system.

(man this reminds me of pionexx)
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

still had this idle problem since Day 1 of owning my Vette. Its getting rediculous...

With CFI, it has to be something that was not removed prior to your mods. A shot in the dark, but have you either sprayed or used the propane method for vacuum leaks?
Amazing you ran a 12.9 like that
Old 11-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

kopbet, take a deep breath.........and hold it. j/k

seriously though, your overreaction precedes you. you're being "stupid" because you refuse to listen.

as a side note, others who defend just don't know your other history of childish "ricer this and ricer that" bs that you always have spewed; that's certainly an indication of emotional (not intellectual) stupidity, at any rate.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
still had this idle problem since Day 1 of owning my Vette. Its getting rediculous...

With CFI, it has to be something that was not removed prior to your mods. A shot in the dark, but have you either sprayed or used the propane method for vacuum leaks?
Amazing you ran a 12.9 like that
Yeah buddy, 12.9x at Bradenton's 1/4th mile dragstrip!!! Remained in the low low 13s for the rest of the day! Trap speed was only 103-105 mph as I recall. I indeed made VERY good use of my power. Sometimes like they say, it is all about getting off the line e.g. your 60' time. Yeah, at one point, I was able to get a very good 1.81 60' time. That was with the 315/35/17 BFG D/Rs on my 17x11" rims. Shifts were always at about 5000-5300 rpms for whatever reason. Yes, this was with the stock block but with the SuperRam + my last tune.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:57 PM
MikeC4
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 11-16-2005, 12:08 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeC4
Looks like removing your LT1 intake made your car sit until you put it back on. I wonder what would happen if you went ahead and cranked it. Oh.... I dunno, I don't think it will start man... Good job!!

BTW, thanks for the sarcasm. It made me uhhh... let me think, I have brain freeze at the moment...

Must be the cold beer.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeC4
... or rig up a vacuum line through the firewall so they can blow air into their intake to fix their idle problems, more power to them....

Originally Posted by Hot Rod 90
as a side note, others who defend just don't know your other history...
I don't know if this is aimed towards me or not. Either way no big deal. (Note: I have been here for all that too)

As for why I am helping, its because I am attempting to make this forum what it was a few years ago. I don't know much, but I will drop the BS and try to at least help with the problem no matter how many idiotic posts the poster may make. This forum really is becoming useless. First C4 Gen, now its invading C4 Tech. This place used to be straight Tech help all the time. I remember asking a question back when I knew absolutely nothing and I would get 5-6 replies about possible solutions. Also you could just read down the board and learn tons of info. Now half the threads are "do a search" or its mock this, ohh you are stupid that, yadda yadda
Its really quite sad.

ANYWAY, kopbet, the plugs from last time were black. That alone means you should pull the plugs and look at them. I honestly think you should take it to a shop as I feel I am only getting a partial story from you and the problem may just be that you don't know how to set the idle/iac properly. Or it may be much more. Until you can start eliminating problems systematically I can't help you here.

Quick Reply: This truly solved my "hunting for idle" problem.