C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Any ideas for this VATS issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 12:19 AM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Any ideas for this VATS issue?

I have a 1985 Corvette which of course came with no VATS. I installed a 1986 harness, and a 165 ECU. My harness has the VATS control module and as I understand it all 165 ECUs (with Corvette chips) have VATS enabled in the PROM.

I do not have the ignition key from the car that the harness came out of. My ignition switch is not capable of reading a VATS key as it is the original '85 switch.

So, I can't do the resistor bypass because I don't know the resistor value of my VATS module. I have no key to read to find out what it is. What would be the easiest way for me to bypass the VATS system so when I am ready to fire up my car the VATS will be disabled?

thanks,
Old 02-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Buy all the resistors that Vats uses and do a bypass by trial and error.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 AM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Does VATS disable the starter motor, or does it disable the injectors, or both?
Old 02-11-2006, 12:36 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

VATS does both. If the wrong value resistor is used, VATS will not close the start enable relay which interupts the current to the starter solenoid AND it sends a signal to the ECM to not exercise the injectors so a thief cannot push start the car.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
CorvAdel
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO, the easiest solution with this is to send the prom to someone like tjwong or Alvin and have the vats disabled. I did this to my 86 basket case which I recently built...I was able to start it without dramas, and I know I will NEVER have the dreaded vats syndrome. (while the chip was being worked on, I put a spare in and found that I actually had a defective vats module!) Best $35-40 you are likely to invest in your vette...
Old 02-11-2006, 12:48 AM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Resistors are a lot cheaper than that.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:44 AM
tjwong
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by VtVette
I have a 1985 Corvette which of course came with no VATS. I installed a 1986 harness, and a 165 ECU. My harness has the VATS control module and as I understand it all 165 ECUs (with Corvette chips) have VATS enabled in the PROM.

I do not have the ignition key from the car that the harness came out of. My ignition switch is not capable of reading a VATS key as it is the original '85 switch.

So, I can't do the resistor bypass because I don't know the resistor value of my VATS module. I have no key to read to find out what it is. What would be the easiest way for me to bypass the VATS system so when I am ready to fire up my car the VATS will be disabled?

thanks,
The easiest way is to disable the VATs error in the prom code, then bypass the starter inhibit relay by jumping the starter contacts at the relay socket. Easy fix, I have done it many times for the 870 to 165 conversions. You don't have to replace your complete wire harness, all you need to do is to repin it for the 165 ECM. There has been several threads with good information on the harness conversion.

Get notified of new replies

To Any ideas for this VATS issue?

Quick Reply: Any ideas for this VATS issue?