C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions......

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 09:42 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions......

was wondering.....how everybody's first to second gear shift is like....mine is like....it revs and revs....pretty high...then....around 40 hits 2nd and really jerks you back into the seat.....I guess my question.....is like.....is the car suppose to rev a little while, then go into second.......?

I have my tv cable to shift the car at exactly 13......... this is of course just having the car basically at an idle.....and barely with the gas.
thanks guys......
Old 09-07-2001, 10:18 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Default Re: need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions...... (XtremeVette)

Not sure I fully understand, but if you are getting a "slip bump" when it shifts, then the TV cable could be out of adjustment. Don't use the TV cable to try to alter the shift points, you are asking for trouble.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:11 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions...... (vettenuts)

Bob....I have re-adusted my cable......due majorly to get rid of a sluggish feeling and a very low delay in upshifts....I was getting a torque converter chatter feeling before...since me adjusting the cable and pulling it backward toward the firewall, I have gotten rid of the sluggish feeling and chattering.....the car now downshifts very quickly when slightly depressing the accelerator. So I guess my question would be...I need to find a balance and where the tv cable should be set at.........right now it is a little more than just inside......(in otherwords the plastic plunger's end (flat spot) that is on the cable is just inside of the reset box...... if you have a picture of where yours is I would appreciate it....this way I can see from reference how close Iam........

like I said...I get more performance now...and the shifts have been delayed a bit....but I almost think this is the way the thing should run.........since Iam the 3rd owner of the car.......and have not really driven another vette...I don't really know.....thanks again....is it correct in assuming that more tv line pressure is better than less tv line pressure....i have heard if there is not enough....you start burning clutches....but I have not heard any downsides to too much pressure....?....

basically i don't want to hurt my tranny....is the bottom line...but I dont' want to get the chatters back either.......

thanks bob t

[Modified by XtremeVette, 3:16 AM 9/8/2001]
Old 09-10-2001, 02:29 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions...... (XtremeVette)

to the top
Old 09-10-2001, 05:34 PM
92BlackRose
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can increase the line pressure up to a point to increase shift firmness and to obtain slightly higher shift points at wide open throttle. Further increases to the pressure results in the transmission “holding” the gear too long during part throttle (normal) driving. If you are not shifting out of first gear until 40 mph and you are at part throttle, you need to reduce the line pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions......

Quick Reply: need some help....does your car do this too....? for automatic transmissions......